This could be a game changer for some, Ford Transit Trail coming to the US

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
It defies logic but it's most certainly true, isn't it? Without knocking Sprinters I think even most Sprinter owners would agree they are more expensive and harder to find maintenance for but they are still much more in demand. Personally I think it comes down to the actual lines of the vehicle. Purely aesthetics. Sprinters just look better. Though this is my opinion I would never buy one based on what I said above. Also, no Sprinter will ever compare to the Transit/Ecoboost performance combination.
I agree, I really like the look of the Sprinter. However, I have read several reviews that state the power is dismal at best. Let's hope the aftermarket segment is spurred into overdrive with the trail model coming out and more people opting for the Transit for the ease/price of replacement parts from Ford and the increased power.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I agree, I really like the look of the Sprinter. However…more people opting for the Transit for the ease/price of replacement parts from Ford
Replacement parts availability….That’s certainly an important factor to consider since Fords do seem to breakdown so easily and frequently 😁

Ford Still Suffering With More Recalls Than Any Other Brand In 2023​

Story by Sebastian Cenizo • Jul 17
(link: URL unfurl="true"]https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-still-suffering-with-more-recalls-than-any-other-brand-in-2023/ar-AA1dYgxO[/URL

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I agree, I really like the look of the Sprinter. However, I have read several reviews that state the power is dismal at best. Let's hope the aftermarket segment is spurred into overdrive with the trail model coming out and more people opting for the Transit for the ease/price of replacement parts from Ford and the increased power.

What MB should do, though OEMs never go back on things even if it makes good sense, is return to the uber reliable, quick and strong inline 5 (OM647?) they put in the T1N's. These were great engines which gave no trouble for 2-300k. Unfortunately they couldn't built a body around it that wouldn't rust to bits or there would still be millions of them around. Before my 2016 Ecoboost Transit the best van I ever drove was the T1N models (several different ones at work for years). They were unbeatable.

DoKarider16

Observer
We have a 2016 4wd/awd Sprinter that we have spent a lot of time exploring southern Utah, and surrounding areas. The 4wd is nice as we ski a lot too, but we have utilized the full range of ground clearance over and over again.

As for power it is interesting what people NEED now for power. It is absolutely plenty. Is it a lot, no, but I can cruise through southern Utah at 80. Some of the power issues come from people doing these amazingly heavy builds, with big racks and side ladders and then wondering why their van doesn’t stop, go, turn or get decent mpg anymore.

It would be great to not have to deal with Mercedes anymore. We have had to fight the service department to get things covered by the Mercedes extended warranty we purchased. They have done all of it but only after many phone calls. Ours has not been problematic and we have just over 100,000 miles on it.

I would to love buy a Ford next, just so service was more available. I will do more of my own service once our warranty is up. If Ford gets the same or close ground clearance I think I would give one a try.

As for the dual range transfer case, I read a comparison somewhere that said the low gear on the new Sprinter 10 spd box is actually lower than the low gear in low range on the older Sprinters. Not sure if this is the same for the Ford but worth looking into. I do like our low range.

We don’t do any rock crawling but do get pretty remote. Our Sprinter has served us well. I wish Ford would look a little more at some of the wishes of their potential customers but then again I don’t think the majority of the vans get used quite like ours. Would love to try a Ford.

86scotty

Cynic
I agree, I'm not a power nut but for a couple of things. First, once you've had a smallish turbo diesel in something big such as the T1N I mentioned above or the 3.5 Ecoboost in a Transit you become addicted. It's hard to go back to less. Also, how the power is made. Small turbos are just great interstate cruisers and unaffected by elevation. They are, of course, usually paired with modern vehicle aerodynamics and other benefits but the torque they make and how they make it is just mind boggling to me.

b. rock

Btw these are starting to pop up. One is on FB marketplace in CO Springs for $72k ish. Says inbound dealer order.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
As I understand it the ones that had been "produced" were released from the upfitter on Thursday.
img_0560-jpg.194542

img_0557-jpg.194539

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
What size is this one? Does it have the fan? Thank You
This is a W3X chassis, 148" wheelbase, extended length, 350. All Trails are 350 weight class.
No fan, (this isn't mine), I didn't order fans, the roof of the prototype looked like it was all beat up, I figured I knew how to install them better than Ford (or their upfitter) unless they prove otherwise, YMMV
Order bank for the Trails is to end 8/14, https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/2023-ford-transit-trail-order-banks-close-next-week/
Reality check: There are numerous reports of parts shortages still, #1 ecoboost motor, some order build dates scheduled for Aug/Sept have been pushed to week of Oct. 23rd.
Labor day weekend is typical model year change over. They are going to go way past that, some say through the end of the year.
Getting one of these is difficult and unpredictable. Expect to pay $10-$20K ADM off the lot unless you are REAL lucky.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179