This is my very favorite rig... I call it "Vera"

ry3w

a little off topic but what do you keep in your Go Bag?

Sorry just saw Nice build up i hope there is more to come

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

MightyP

Observer
a little off topic but what do you keep in your Go Bag?

It's a pretty basic bag, but can keep me going in a pinch:

2 gallon Ziploc:
- Full change of clothes along with a couple pairs of socks and undies

2 gallon Ziploc:
- Clif Bars and Kill Cliff bars. Clif bars are for snacking where the KC bars taste horrible, but have a ton of protein and nutrients, so they are really only going to be eaten in an emergency.
- Emergency water pouches. I have about 1/2 gal of water in little pouches.

1 gallon Ziploc:
- Tourniquet
- QuickClot
- Z-bandage
- Israeli bandage (maybe 2?)
- Life Straw
- Iodine Tabs
- Gauze
- Medical tape

In the Coffee Can:
- Toilet paper (probably the MOST important thing in the whole bag!!!)
- Bic lighter
- Compass
- Magnesium fire starting stuff
- Tinder Quick Fire tabs
- Duct Tape
- N100 mask

Loose or in various pockets of the bag:
- Snugpak Tactical 2 sleeping bag
- Tarp
- Rain Poncho
- 12" generic hunting knife
- 550 cord
- Streamlight ProTac HL
- Spare batteries (AA, AAA, and 123A)
- Glow sticks (2 colors)
- nitrile gloves
- Tin cup
- Locking carabiners
- Saw
- Emergency blankets
- Ammo
- Spare magazine and dual mag pouch
- OWB holster (hiking appendix carry isn't comfortable)
- keychain flashlight
- Puzzles and notebook
- Rite in the Rain pen
- Gerber Multi-tool

Stuff that I keep in the 4runner, but would get added to the bag before going:
- Hatchet
- First Aid kit
- Rain suit

It's all held in a Vertex Gamut XL and weighs about 30 lbs, including the hatchet, first aid kit and rain suit.

MightyP

Observer
As you've probably figured out, my "build" posts aren't in chronological order. The cheap cubes were installed for nearly a year before I got the Rigids. I had the safari basket from a previous SUV, so that just got thrown on as necessary. I still take the basket and awning off to reduce wind noise and improve gas mileage on road trips. Anyway, here are some pictures of my first trip exploring the Hill Country near San Antonio. Went a little heavy on the HDR.

Here we have a picture of my first garage in Texas. "Everything is bigger in Texas" my ***!!! Thankfully my current garage is better, though it's still nothing compared to what I got used to in Minnesota and Arizona.

And one of the early pictures of Vera, mostly because I just like the picture. It's interesting that, for everything I've done to her since, she still looks pretty much the same to the untrained eye.

MightyP

Observer
Wife is out of town, so I loaded up both kids and did some off-roading with Texas Overland at Hidden Falls Adventure Park. Lots of fun, great people, kids enjoyed themselves, and I even got a chance to use my Traction Jacks, Tred Pros and one of the other's Maxtrax.

I went with the "Mostly Stock and Don't Want to Destroy Our Daily Drivers" group of rigs. We had as many as 8 rigs in our group, but the last one arrived just after this picture was taken. And, no Texas Overland isn't a Toyota-exclusive group, but you might not realize it from the pictures today.

While we were, in fact, the "no damage" crew, Hidden Falls has gotten some rain lately and the moderate, and even easy, trails had some washout, making things more challenging. One particular section at least scuffed the bumper of every rig that tried it. We tried to use Maxtrax, Treds and Traction Jacks to bridge.

I got a kiss on my bumper. Thankfully, it looks like trail damage and not like I backed into a pillar at the mall. :)

More Maxtrax and Tred use for bridging.

I forced my kids to take a picture to prove they were really with me. :) Daughter was trying to be good, but my son was having none of it.

Last edited:

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Haha that's funny about the garage. The garage at my house in Midland Texas is large enough that my old 87 crew cab long bed dually on 6" lift would fit inside, old house from the 50's. Newer houses tend to have smaller garages, the one here in Utah is 'cozy' with the 82 toyota pickup in it.

MightyP

Observer
NICE...!!!! Team Traction Jack, ******. I love my set, did you see the new carrying bag by Blue Ridge Overland...?

Unfortunately, the TJs didn't fair as well as the others. Broke one. I'm hoping to be able to report how quick/awesome Traction Jacks' warranty service is, but more on that later. And I have seen the bag, but I haven't picked it up yet. I found a nice, convenient and out of the way spot in my 4runner that just needs a bungee cord.

Great thread so far! Where can one get more info on Texas Overland? I'm northwest of Houston.

Texas Overland is just on Facebook, but it's a great group. Just request access and the admins will approve you. They usually respond pretty quick.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasOverland/

mouse007

Explorer
Unfortunately, the TJs didn't fair as well as the others. Broke one. I'm hoping to be able to report how quick/awesome Traction Jacks' warranty service is, but more on that later. And I have seen the bag, but I haven't picked it up yet. I found a nice, convenient and out of the way spot in my 4runner that just needs a bungee cord.

Texas Overland is just on Facebook, but it's a great group. Just request access and the admins will approve you. They usually respond pretty quick.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasOverland/

WOW...!!! Haven't seen this happen in a long time. Please P.M. Your information. The company I work for is the master distributer of Traction Jack, I will help you with the warranty claim. I'm guessing this was in the recovery you posted above..?

MightyP

Observer
WOW...!!! Haven't seen this happen in a long time. Please P.M. Your information. The company I work for is the master distributer of Traction Jack, I will help you with the warranty claim. I'm guessing this was in the recovery you posted above..?

Thanks. I sent you a PM.

And, yes, it was trying to get the white 4runner across a muddy drop. Not entirely sure what happened, but when he got across, the one Traction Jack was broken.

mouse007

Explorer
Thanks. I sent you a PM.

And, yes, it was trying to get the white 4runner across a muddy drop. Not entirely sure what happened, but when he got across, the one Traction Jack was broken.

No problem, I got your P.M. will wait for your e-mail.

MightyP

Observer
Got a few more pictures from this last weekend. No, I didn't take them. I'll be happy to give credit to the photographers if you'd like.

These need a caption along the lines of "When it looks like you drove your rig off a cliff but really are just that awesome."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12