This made me giggle...

SoCalMonty

Explorer
So, I was lurking some other forums. And recently, I saw this post:

Son's GF has a 2010 2 door JK with Teraflex 3.5". She had asked me to look at a clicking she was hearing from under the rig, turned out the CV's on driveshafts were shot...

I giggled because I couldn't help but think about the fact that my CV's on both sides of my 1995 Montero have torn boots, and it's to the point where I've stopped greasing them because they fling grease all over the front end. I've been wheeling in rocks, dust, and sand for the last few months, on 18-year-old axle shafts with torn boots and almost no grease. They've yet to make any noise.

3 year old CV's on the Jeep, and they're dead...18 year old CV's on the Mitsu, and still going.

Kudos to you, Mitsubishi. :)

kingg5

Adventurer
thats because the jeep was prob used for what its made for...and not for driving around the city.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
So, I was lurking some other forums. And recently, I saw this post:

I giggled because I couldn't help but think about the fact that my CV's on both sides of my 1995 Montero have torn boots, and it's to the point where I've stopped greasing them because they fling grease all over the front end. I've been wheeling in rocks, dust, and sand for the last few months, on 18-year-old axle shafts with torn boots and almost no grease. They've yet to make any noise.

3 year old CV's on the Jeep, and they're dead...18 year old CV's on the Mitsu, and still going.

Kudos to you, Mitsubishi. :)

mine clicked for a year at 220,000 miles, then snapped last winter after a good beating.

JamesW

Adventurer
Mine were a bit clicky when I got the truck at 95,000 miles. At 120,000 I absolutely totalled it offroad. I think before I got it an owner drove for a while with the centre diff locked.

Replaced the whole shaft with a spurious one. Boots were gone within 5 months,whereas the mitsu ones on the other side were still intact... 18 years later

scrubber3

Not really here
Wait a tick..... JKs have cv axles with boots? I've heard of solid axle swaps, but never an IFS swap....

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Wait a tick..... JKs have cv axles with boots? I've heard of solid axle swaps, but never an IFS swap....

CV are Constant Velocity joints used when attached to a tire that has to turn, so even in a Solid Axle rig they have CV Joints. Jeep Grands have had them for a number of years. covered in a boot with grease to make them last longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears