This time for sure: 2012 Wrangler gets Pentastar V6, 5 speed auto

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Wee 6

I test drove one of these things. And you can too. The 2011 Grand Cherokee has that motor in there, and the vehicles weighs about the same. Lame. Why the hell don't thy put the 5.7 V8 in there???? I will never buy another Wrangler without a good sized diesel or v8.

irishcoffee

I test drove one of these things. And you can too. The 2011 Grand Cherokee has that motor in there, and the vehicles weighs about the same. Lame. Why the hell don't thy put the 5.7 V8 in there???? I will never buy another Wrangler without a good sized diesel or v8.

Totaly agree here with a v8 and an improved cooling system!

JPK

Explorer

According to Jeep.com, Jeep's official website, the weight difference between the GC and the Wrangler Unlimited is 500lbs with the GC the heavier. 500lbs is pretty significant and about an 11-12% increase over the JKU weight. Hopefully that missing 500lbs will make the JKU a decnt performer. The five speed 545rfe will be a tremendous improvment over the four speed 42rfe.

I agree with the V8, but it will never happen. I have a 5.7VVT Hemi in my '10 JKU and it is just excellent and the way they ought to come from the factory, but the f'in Gov't won't let Jeep make them that way, eh. 1. Corporate Fleet Avg milage; 2. the Hemi in the current JK is too long and doesn't allow sufficient crumple zone to meet Gov't stds.

JPK

vtjeepguy97

well this is good news! I was in the market for a newer vehicle. My 97 wrangler is just not reliable anymore. So i went down too the local dealer and tried out a 2010 4 door wrangler with the old engine. Now let me say I am a jeep fanatic and have owned several. But I hated driving that jeep. Put my foot to the floor and nothing happened. And I am not the type of guy who needs hundreds of extra horse power under the hood. Well because of the crappy engine that is in the wrangler now I will be the proud owner of a 2006 toyota tacoma come next tuesday! (no worries I am keeping my 97 as an expedition/offroad toy) If jeep had put the penstar in a little sooner then I would have purchased one.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I think Jeep is headed in the right direction... Finally there are moving to a new engine after years of complaints. I owned 2 JKs, an auto and a 6 speed and I now have an LJ and wouldn't drive a JK again without a new engine. If they went diesel we would trade the wife's Liberty in on 1 tomorrow!

Ryanc

SE Expedition Society
I think Jeep is headed in the right direction... Finally there are moving to a new engine after years of complaints. I owned 2 JKs, an auto and a 6 speed and I now have an LJ and wouldn't drive a JK again without a new engine. If they went diesel we would trade the wife's Liberty in on 1 tomorrow!

I agree. My 3.8 is anemic, however I regeared to 513 and have a manual, so it is tolerable now. Ive driven the pentastar, its ok. Its a nice drive in the new Cherokee, however, we all know that Chrysler is going to tune it for the Wrangler. I honestly dont think that Jeep will ever bring a diesel here, at least not now with the new motor. Chrysler needs to take notes on what Ford is doing. Their new lineup is light years ahead of Chryslers now.

JPK

Explorer
The latest and greatest news from Allpars is that the Wrangler 3.6 will have the same tune as the GC, which iirc is 290hp and 260lbs'.

For guys who hate the slow throttle response the result of the fly by wire system there are tuners and I think the ProCal that will help with the throttle rsponse time.

bamabrock

Observer
Wow. Just wow.
If this is accurate, in the year 2012 Jeep are selling a vehicle that gets 16 MPG city. SIXTEEN!

Pick your adjective of chocie: (I pick all three)
Disgrace, Pathetic, Mistifying

-Dan

It is quite pathetic considering GM has half ton 4x4 trucks with 400 hp that get better mileage.

Super mud

Well my 87 xj is making about 260lb ft torque with the 4.0 tractor motor, .75:1 Od locking Aw4 and 22mpg stock so I still don't see an improvement over 25 years.
That reminds me how we have failed to produce a car after 30 years that is more efficient than the rigs developed in the 80s. Have you seen honda's new crz hybrid that gets 37mpg? They had a civic in the 80s supposobly getting 50mpg and I know at least 40. The s-10 they put the 4cyl diesel in when they started production got 40mpg and I know a cherokee with a 1.9 nissan diesel getting 35 and modified one getting 45.
I think Ford is the only ones who have made an improvement considering their 300hp 30mpg stang.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Well my 87 xj is making about 260lb ft torque with the 4.0 tractor motor, .75:1 Od locking Aw4 and 22mpg stock so I still don't see an improvement over 25 years.
That reminds me how we have failed to produce a car after 30 years that is more efficient than the rigs developed in the 80s. Have you seen honda's new crz hybrid that gets 37mpg? They had a civic in the 80s supposobly getting 50mpg and I know at least 40. The s-10 they put the 4cyl diesel in when they started production got 40mpg and I know a cherokee with a 1.9 nissan diesel getting 35 and modified one getting 45.
I think Ford is the only ones who have made an improvement considering their 300hp 30mpg stang.

What mods have you done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yea, I think the "Jesus" engine will be a "BOON" to the JK/JKU, but

The 5-spd auto will be a real welcome addition, but

They will still be under geared-

Since I've regeared my '08 JKUR, I've got great mileage and an abundance of "Applied Horsepower" with my 42RLE tranny !!I can't see buying a new one untill Chrysler starts offering some of AEVs options !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Super mud

What mods have you done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much, Catless exaust, Cowl induction cold air intake, (52-60mm) Bored throttle body, Advanced timing Cps.
Jp dynoed a 4.0 to test certain power gains and just exaust and free flowing intake was like 10-15hp each which is alot for what real world conservative numbers are like.

I plan to do headers and injectors soon. Was planning to do a head swap and bump up the compression and found out my bottom end is pretty worn after doing a rear main seal. So eventually I'll completley rebuild and do everything up all around right to run the higher comp and maybe a taller cam. I would have to get my crank re ground anyway so a stroker wouldn't be to much more to ask for. So lookin at a 300lb ft 4.0 or a 350lb ft stroker respectivley ********.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
People always say that the USA just does not do Diesel. That is rubbish, IMHO. No one uses it because they really do not know about it. All they would have to do it toss that 35mpg engine in there, and do a comparison between it and the gas engine, tell the people how much they will spend per mile vs the gas and they will not be able to keep them in stock, everyone will want the Diesel...Sigh...

Everyone that does a good diesel engine has negligible, if at all, advertising on the fuel economy advantages of the diesel. Therefore they are relegated to the work trucks alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears