Those of you with Limb Risers and HAM antennas

lysol

Explorer
Pretty much, I'm curious as to where you placed your HAM antennas on your Jeeps if you have limb risers installed. I haven't found any non-steel limb risers. Pretty much (2) main problems with placing the antenna on the edge of the hood with steel limb risers (most popular HAM antenna placement) is that (A), if the antenna makes contact with the steel riser while transmitting, you can say good bye to your fancy new radio and (B), the steel might cause interference with the antenna.

I have another thread here - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/6473-Ham-Antenna-w-Limb-Risers

But, I'm just curious as to where you put yours.

lysol

Explorer
I would like to add that a good composite limb riser would solve this problem... .I mean, we have had composite winch cables for how long...???

tarditi

Explorer
Abrasion resistance is the problem with synthetic line - it's cheap enough these days. Heck, if you could find some more UV-stable 550 cord that would work fine, too (I've only seen it stay supple for about 6-12 months of exposure to the elements).

How about something like vinyl-coated cable? This is popular on dog runs or clotheslines... is that enough insulation? I'm not a HAM tech.

bluehash

Adventurer
I made my limb risers by browsing home depot. THey have these steel lines with plastic sheeting around it. Would that work?

lysol

Explorer
I made my limb risers by browsing home depot. THey have these steel lines with plastic sheeting around it. Would that work?

For the electrical shock, that would work as long as the plastic doesn't wear off. It doesn't however fix the interference the metal inside the cable would cause on the radiation pattern of the antenna.

Mitch502

Explorer
What about some chain? It would hand on things more, but you might be able to find some chain or sort (plastic?) at the hardware store. Plus, it will never stretch?

lysol

Explorer
NMO mount in the roof and a flexible antenna. Problem solved.

I wish. With a vehicle that has a removable top, you are pretty much limited to the front hood area to mount antennas and have them above most of the body.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
:iagree: lmfaoo!

I mounted mine on my roof rack with diamond k9000 motorized antenna mount. Antenna stays down (safe) ant out of the way. Put it up when you need it. Pretty slick setup.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've got a ducky antenna mounted on a KC a-pillar light mount. Pretty sure it would be several inches under limb risers on a JK.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I had a diamond mount designed to attach to a bar. I bolted it directly to my rear tire carrier.

I since installed an AEV tire carrier, and I used the same mount but attached it to a plate with a couple U-bolts to the riser tube on the carrier.

take a look at my build thread showing pictures of both phases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears