Thoughts? 2000 Land Rover Discovery II - new engine, lifted. - $7500

DNTL740

Adventurer
I'm in the process of helping my cousin get a D2. They're asking to much IMHO. Look around, you'll find a better deal.

kcabpilot

Observer
These are good trucks if everything is properly sorted. The 4.6 is a nice upgrade. I have a nearly identical 2001 that I've put over 100,000 miles on over the past ten years but I've invested in it with engine, general maintenance and such. Yes you can find cheap D2's all day long and buying any 17 year old truck is a crap shoot but if this one is as well sorted as claimed it's entirely likely that you would end up spending just as much on any other truck to get it to the same level.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I think it looks like a very nice example. Poor seller is trying to not take too much of a bath on all that was invested.

Here're reality: when you dump money in a Disco, you will NEVER get it back out. This is a painful fact.

I would be very serious about looking at it, but only if the seller was more realistic in his price. If everything is REALLY well sorted (interior is darn perfect, EVERY system functions like new, and the paint is in great shape, as well as zero rust) I'd think $5500 is a fair price. If the seller even says meet them halfway, I'd walk.

There are just too many decent examples, or ones that can be put in pretty good shape for a 1/4 that price. Bay Area folks are nuts most of the time.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
He said he would not do <$6,500. I'd be all over it at $5,500.

It's a bit far for me to go take a look. Here are some hi res pics:

http://morningsoul.smugmug.com/Wonka/Land-Rover-Discovery/2000-Discovery
password is: disco

He can't handle that he's losing his butt for all he put in- which you would/will do, but you don't get that much for one with that mileage, head gaskets or no.

To be clear, the lift he got is $500, it's about $2k to get the head gaskets done correctly. Nothing else is special. There are plenty around. He'll either hold on to his pride, or get with reality. Anyone that buys a Disco with anything other than passion as the first reason doesn't know what they got into. Hands down one of the coolest machines made, but there is a reason they depreciated so much.

Can confirm. I'm nuts ;)

I agree. Too pricey. That's starting into D3 money.

We just left a couple months ago. Couldn't be happier. It's sad as it was my dream to live there- and did for close to 20 years, but the anger, politics, and of course cost has finally ruined it for me.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
You can do better, particularly if you can do some of the work yourself.

Do you have the password for the pictures? I would like to see what is so special that it commands that price. I think you are paying retail for the work and a premium for the location.

kcabpilot

Observer
The receipt shows $5k for a 4.6 short block which could possibly be (should have been) one with flanged liner mod so that is more than just new head gaskets. I just priced out a complete build and it comes out to around six grand doing all the labor myself (the liner mod itself is $1500) All of the research I've done indicates that the flanged liner mod remedies the shortcomings of the 4.0 and 4.6 engines so if this is one and you want a decent, reliable D2 the price may not be all that crazy. Everything I see listed for sale has between 150k to 200k miles on original motor. You can find those all day long.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I'm no expert - but I'm going to say that's not that bad - I've got close to that into mine, and still have some issues to sort and don't have a "new" engine. Note though, 47k no longer qualifies as a new engine. My biggest concern would be the door crease (per the ad)

I'm $6000 into mine (including purchase, and if you count tires but don't count oil changes and various inspections) - and I've done most of the work myself. I don't regret a second or a penny, but knowing what I know now - I would have probably jumped on this one at $6500.

Check the top bolt on the driver's side of the radiator (you'll need to pull the shroud, 4 phillips head bolts) to see it. This is a known failure point on rover radiators, and the only fix is a new radiator. I didn't see "radiator" on the engine receipt (but I didn't read it that close). Radiator is not that expensive, but it's a long frustrating day or a ton of labor. Watch that bolt while the engine is running, if you see any leakage - factor in anywhere from $300 and a full day if you do it yourself to $1300-$1500 if you let a shop do it. Would hate to risk that new engine with a faulty radiator.

Good luck with your decision!

99Discovery

Adventurer
Just adding to everyone else. I bought my '99 4 years ago with full maintenance records (GBR did the head gaskets) and it only had 99k on the original drive train. Cost? $5,500, AND I STILL overpaid because I wanted a well-sorted Land Rover.

Fast forward to 2017 and one with 140k on the clock for $7,500?

Not a chance. That's a $5k Disco at best.

BUT......if you really are "crazy", I'll sell you mine for $8,500. OME lift, bumper up front, winch, still have all records, etc... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998