Thoughts on 2013 Unimog... enroute to US perhaps?

AMBOT

Adventurer
The 2013 Unimogs will be unveiled this Friday.

According to the company, besides the new styling, equipment and other features, one of the highlights for both the Unimog and the Econic trucks is the addition of a new range of BlueTec 6 diesel engines that meet the new Euro VI emissions standard that will come into effect on January 1, 2014.

Curious to hear thoughts on whether there is a chance that it will return to the US? I'm not sure if the Euro VI engine meets the US requirements for clean(er) diesel.

Is there a better chance about being able to import one with less headache?

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/04/mercedes-benz-to-present-new-generation.html

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The adoption of the Euro VI standards will make current European and US trucks match up better. Most European heavy trucks will be using the same emission reduction techniques (e.g., DPF, EGR) and manufacturers probably would not find meeting the EPA requirements nearly as difficult as before. But it's still really expensive to make all the other parts regulated in both places (think headlight position and intensity as an example) match up.

That said. and recognizing that I am not the world's authority on medium-duty truck marketing, given that the last attempt to sell Unimogs in this country (the mid-2000s U500s) didn't go all that well, I would be very surprised to see new ones here. In fact, the previous experience seemed to establish that potential North American customers had a strong aversion to "them new-fangled, don't-know-how-to-work-on-them, costs-a-lot" implement carriers that didn't fit well with the rest of their fleets. It was/is a really nice truck, but the last effort did not make anyone any money.

Also, FWIW, I'm not too sure you should think of importing a Unimog in terms of being a headache. If it's 25 or more years old, it's relatively straightforward. And if it's newer, it's pretty much impossible (except for tourists, some very specific rare circumstances, or those practicing blatant perjury). Not too much middle ground. Check with the guys on the Unimog Mailing List if you need any advice.

Sagestone

Observer
Hi Mooka, Good question (and Mike good answer). Mooka would you please post what, if anything, you learn? Thank you, Dean

AMBOT

Adventurer
Great feedback Mike.

In looking at the sales numbers for N.A. they sure were dismal. I think many were exported back to Germany. When I saw that Schwarzenegger was able to import one (albeit at a 250K price tag and I'm sure pulling some ex-Governor strings).

I'll post what I hear from tomorrows launch!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
When I saw that Schwarzenegger was able to import one (albeit at a 250K price tag and I'm sure pulling some ex-Governor strings).
Oh, don't get me started on that one.

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-New-Monster-Truck-2.jpg

His is actually a U1300, a nice enough truck, but designed in the mid-70s and thus old-fashioned compared to the U500. You can find them in the US for $30K or so; his cost a quarter-million mostly by being imported legally, which meant that a lot of the money went to "federalize" it to the EPA's and NHTSA's satisfaction. There was a huge irony in this, as Arhnuld was governor when California enacted rules that made ownership of Mogs and other old diesel trucks in California much less practical. He was also in charge when CA passed a lot of their very stringent greenhouse gas regulations, and a U1300 isn't exactly Prius-like in that area.

So don't take the fact that this Mog drives around California encourage you to import one and take it down to the CA DMV to have them register it. The Gov had people for that, but it probably wouldn't go as well for you. It's that annoying "fame and fortune" thing coming into play again. :D

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-New-Monster-Truck-2.jpg

His is actually a U1300, a nice enough truck, but designed in the mid-70s and thus old-fashioned compared to the U500. You can find them in the US for $30K or so; his cost a quarter-million mostly by being imported legally, which meant that a lot of the money went to "federalize" it to the EPA's and NHTSA's satisfaction. There was a huge irony in this, as Arhnuld was governor when California enacted rules that made ownership of Mogs and other old diesel trucks in California much less practical. He was also in charge when CA passed a lot of their very stringent greenhouse gas regulations, and a U1300 isn't exactly Prius-like in that area.

So don't take the fact that this Mog drives around California encourage you to import one and take it down to the CA DMV to have them register it. The Gov had people for that, but it probably wouldn't go as well for you. It's that annoying "fame and fortune" thing coming into play again. :D

Actually I think it has a U500 drivetrain, complete with OM906LA motor and 8 spd gearbox with electropneumatic shifting and automated clutch. Don't ask me for references but I did read it somewhere "reputable". It's a U500 with a U1300 frame (to make it 25 yrs old) and ?UHN? bodywork.

Charlie

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Actually I think it has a U500 drivetrain, complete with OM906LA motor and 8 spd gearbox with electropneumatic shifting and automated clutch. Don't ask me for references but I did read it somewhere "reputable". It's a U500 with a U1300 frame (to make it 25 yrs old) and ?UHN? bodywork.
Referenced or not, Charlie knows most everything there is to know about U500s, so if he thinks that's the situation, it undoubtedly is. And that U500 approach makes a lot more sense than any effort to somehow get a 1988 or older OM352 EPA and CARB compliant.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer

Charlie

The frame is a 425.121 series I think, which makes it a bit shorter wheelbase than your average U1300L that we are used to seeing. (2810mm vs the 3250mm). It's confusing because both the 425.121 and the 435.115 were U1300's, but one is the "severe duty" series, with the shorter AG Spec wheelbase, and one is the wheelbase most are used to seeing, the U1300L. Frame is of 1977 vintage. But remembering the numbers more often reference horsepower in the series (drop the last number, that gives you the approximate horsepower, in the U1300 or U1300L, that's 130hp) which is why it's more accurate to use the series, 425 or 435.

Engine is from a U400, and was also tuned up, 300+hp I think.
Cabin is U4000, as are "various parts" according to the builder. I belive the axles and transmission are from a U4000, thus, having the torque tube setup as common to the UHN's, instead of the open driveshafts common to the UGN's

I would say it's more like a U4000 than U500.

Merex was the builder.

All of this was certainly not "bolt in", here's a shot of the interior bits being built. Note the center console that is custom, likely for the CPU. And possibly to absorb the back of the OM906, which is certainly bigger than the OM352a that would have originally lived under the hood.

Attachments

• 476478d1351637756-arnold-schwarzenegger-visits-museum-unimog-u1300-20121030_165258-1.jpg
    476478d1351637756-arnold-schwarzenegger-visits-museum-unimog-u1300-20121030_165258-1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

He had that air-freighted in at a cost of $25,000+ to arrived in time for the opening of The Expendables 2, and it arrived with a 'dead' #5 cylinder, so it did not make the premier, ahhhhhh :(

Regarding the price:
A U4000 isn't exactly cheap; for example, the list price on a new complete transmission is approx $40K. The engine might be a little bit "cheaper". A new U4000 in Germany with options is about euro 140K or $190K, before VAT (19% in Germany). Base price is about 105K euros but figure 25-33% for good options like CTIS and EAS and hydraulics, etc. The price list is 1.63 MB, to big to attach.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears