Thoughts on Bajaj/Tempo/Force Trax?

isaac

Observer
Hi all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster type scenario here.

I moved to India recently for work, and after settling in thoughts turn (naturally) to wheeled vehicles and adventures over the horizon. I see these interesting Indian G-Wagen style vehicles here (often at the airport in packs, like they may be hotel/tourist shuttles?) and after doing some research have determined they are Force Trax Toofans:

Force brand:
http://forcemotors.com

Trax model:
http://forcemotors.com/html/products.aspx?id=1&pstring=1&root=1

Toofan configuration:
http://forcemotors.com/html/productdetails.aspx?id=84&root=1

Terrible website, but oh well.

So it looks like Force used to be called Tempo and/or Bajaj. Big company, goes back to WW2 and has been busy ever since making all sorts of good stuff with wheels. And that 20-30 years ago they partnered with Mercedes-Benz to build engines for MB India and eventually, new-built versions of MB vehicles now obsolete in the EU/western markets. Like the W461 G-Class... which lives on here in India in the form of Force's Trax model. Roughly.

Is that accurate? Anyone have more info? Just curious for history's sake.

Here's a great promo video from the earlier Tempo Trax days:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LFs560jwc"]YouTube - Tempo Trax 4x4[/ame]

(The announcer's enunciation and emphasis is truly legendary. A worthy diversion even if this thread is not otherwise interesting to you. Wait for it at 2:30 in: "Ohhh, what is this? How can a vehicle go over such a patch of ground where it is not possible even to walk. But a Ahhh, for Tempo 290 GTD vehicle all impossible are possible. The vehicle moves with ease...")

So next steps:

I'd like to learn everything possible about the original W461 G-Wagen, and if possible collect anecdotes and empiric wisdoms about the Tempo/Force Trax vehicles themselves. You can buy them used here in south India for about $5,000 US or new for $15,000 well equipped. Bear in mind many relatively banal western imports cost 200-300% of what you'd expect due to extremely high import tax & tariff systems. So this could be the bargain of all time.

FWIW the Indians also continue to produce "new" versions of the Willys JEEP, including an funky extended wheelbase version (4 doors (well 4 no-doors actually) and 3 rows of seats) that is in heavy usage. Also of course various British vehicles from the 40s and 50s are still manufactured here with minimal design changes. Charming on many levels:

http://picasaweb.google.com/isaact/Hyd3/photo#5219263585664308402

I'm in contact with a local Force dealer (harder than you'd think) and am arranging to test drive whatever they can get their hands on. Sounds like the dealership may be run out of somebody's living room, and they'll don't have any inventory on hand so much as they'll sell me whatever I want then arrange to have it delivered to me. This sounds about right for south India and I'm ready for an adventure.

So what do I want in a Trax? What to look out for?

Aside from this guy on the highway...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klteYv1Uv9A"]YouTube - This is How We Roll in India[/ame]

-Isaac in south India

p.s. Anybody else here on the subcontinent, feel free to drop me a private email at XXXXXXXXXXX & let's talk shop. Or prawn curries, you name it. I think I'm driving up to Leh in a couple months and would love to compare notes.

Last edited:

jl8088

Adventurer
I wish that I would be of help, but i'm only familar with domestics (USA). Sounds like you'll be having some fun in any case. Try not to get stuck in the caste system, or at least not the bottom.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Is it just me or does theat Force kargo King truck look an awful lot like a 70 Series Cruiser??? O well, I guess if you're gonna copy something bettemake it the best you can copy...

Good read and interesting trucks that I've never heard of. Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:

isaac

Observer
S

Scenic WonderRunner

I Dunno...........

This is all Greek to me!

I have No Idea what Bajaj is............or anything else!

So.............!

I think I'll just have a Bratwurst on the barbie!.........and a full round of beautiful Greek Pepperoncini's.............!!!!!! .....hehe

what the heck!

pepcinipan.jpg

.............hehe .....sorry...couldn't help myself!:ylsmoke: :friday: :chef: :sombrero: :beer:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
looks like the WonderRunner was having a fun evening...

my only experience was with my brother's Bajaj Chetak - talk about a fun little scooter, one of the last manual transmissioned scooters...

taco2go

Explorer
Hi Isaac- welcome to ExPo and good to hear from someone on the subcontinent. My experience and info (of the anecdotal and empiric variety), is limited to North India. We did use a Tempo Trax in the early 90s in the Uttrakhand/Tehri Garwhal region. Canvas top. I remember the fit and finish being a level below the mahindras (if that is possible). The clutch wore out repeatedly and there were suspension and transmission issues in the hilly terrain. I think they are mostly used as people transport in the plains now.
Currently you will still only see Mahindras and TATA Sumos in the mountains. Simple and rugged for sure. Probably see several on your trip to Ladhakh- I suggest waiting till then. I do not know much about the current version of the MB motor tho.
PM me with any questions, I'm plenty familiar with the UP/Himachal/Uttrakhand area- - India is definitely UNREAL... :Wow1: Nice photos.
Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.:safari-rig:

kerry

Expedition Leader
There's a guy from India on the Mercedesshop forum (www.mercedesshop.com) with the screen name of Ghurka (sp?). He has the Force equivalent of the G-Wagon (Ghurka?) with the MB 616 turbocharged motor. He could tell you a lot about them.

Incusus

Adventurer
isaac said:
(The announcer's enunciation and emphasis is truly legendary. A worthy diversion even if this thread is not otherwise interesting to you. Wait for it at 2:30 in: "Ohhh, what is this? How can a vehicle go over such a patch of ground where it is not possible even to walk. But a Ahhh, for Tempo 290 GTD vehicle all impossible are possible. The vehicle moves with ease...").

Between that and the 1950's 8mm high-school health class soundtrack, I was giggling through the entire video. I kept expecting small cartoon animals to come out of the trees and jump in the truck...

Great truck though! Thanks for sharing! I had no idea so many old designs were still being reengineered in India.:26_7_2:

Gurkha

Adventurer
Believe it or not........the Gurkha has been exported to Germany and other parts of Europe since 1987. It was tested by German 4x4 mag which gave it the Hardest off Roader title. They were impressed and exalted it to the leagues of G Wagen and FJ. Not surprising as it was the original brainchild of Mercedes appointed director of Bajaj Tempo Dr. Bacher. He took the proven dual wishbone Hanomag front suspension with the heavy duty differential and put the MB 407d rear which is rated at 2.75t. Combined that to the existing Tempo platform of super strong tubular chassis which today is non existent in other off road vehicles. With independent front, dual piece axles, divorced transfer case, full floating rear with anti roll and control arms there is very few that can match it on or off road. It has diff locks front and rear so getting stuck is truly out of question. Some background on Bajaj Tempo, they have been partners with Mercedes since the late 60s and have made engines for them in past and present. They also manufacture ZF and Puch components via their subsidiaries. Now they are also the only company in Asia to manufacture MAN.

The Gurkha comes with OM616 turbo which is nothing but a OM617 turbo minus one cylinder. It comes with the oil cooled pistons and oil cooler as well as sodium filled exhaust valves. The powertrain is unsurpassed for reliability with Mercedes 5 speed and PUCH transfer case with PTO, diff locks are by BOSCH The pressed steel body is on the lines of G461 and is the strongest you can find in the industry. Its crude but then its meant to be as it goes in areas where you wouldn't dare take your plush luxury mall cruiser.

Enough said, by this time you folks must be bored to death. Anyways lemme introduce myself, Greetings to all, I am Gurkha from MB Shop Forum and thanks to Kerry, I am now a member of this very interesting and wonderful forum as well.

Incusus

Adventurer
Gurkha said:
Believe it or not........the Gurkha has been exported to Germany and other parts of Europe since 1987. .

That gives me hope for this new generation of Indian diesel pickups I keep hearing about!

Gurkha

Adventurer
Incusus said:
That gives me hope for this new generation of Indian diesel pickups I keep hearing about!

Only Gurkha meets the pedigree, rest of the Indian vehicles made by the likes of Mahindra and Tata are not up to the mark in any sense.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Gurkha said:
Only Gurkha meets the pedigree, rest of the Indian vehicles made by the likes of Mahindra and Tata are not up to the mark in any sense.

why do you continually refer to yourself in third person?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears