Thoughts on Putting An 8' pop up in a Short Bed Truck

belleau

I'm shopping for a camper and I'm wondering what your thoughts/opinions were on the matter. I've got a 2005 Chevy 2500HD diesel 4x4 crew cab. At the very least I'll have to mount my dual sport on the brushguard forward...just wondering if anyone has experience they might share.

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
As long as it fits between the tailgate opening, you can put an 8 foot on a 6 foot bed, just leave the tailgate on. I did that on a Ford Ranger extended cab shortbed pickup, had to leave the tailgate on, the camper overhanged the tailgate by a couple inches. Big thing is to make sure the COG (Center of Gravity) is over or infront of the rear axle of the truck when loaded.

Good Luck

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Not always, but I think most of the time you will be OK putting a long bed "pop-up style" camper on a short bed truck.

Especially with a Chevy 2500HD !

Here are some sample pictures of what the 8' Grandby FWC model looks like on the short bed trucks.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm shopping for a camper and I'm wondering what your thoughts/opinions were on the matter. I've got a 2005 Chevy 2500HD diesel 4x4 crew cab. At the very least I'll have to mount my dual sport on the brushguard forward...just wondering if anyone has experience they might share.

Attachments

• grandby on dodge short bed #1.jpg
    grandby on dodge short bed #1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 580
  • grandby on dodge short bed #2.jpg
    grandby on dodge short bed #2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 392
  • Grandby on short bed ford.jpg
    Grandby on short bed ford.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 433
  • Grandby on CrewCab Chevy 2500.JPG
    Grandby on CrewCab Chevy 2500.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Dsc00262.jpg
    Dsc00262.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 343

belleau

Well I need to qualify my post now...the camper I've found a deal on is actually 100-101 inches. Not sure where the center of forward/rear gravity is stock. Those pics really helped me though. Grandby being 96" fits nicely w/out overhanging the tailgate...not sure about the 8.5 though. I know you all are into the FWC's but I'm poor and in a hurry to find a camper. Found a deal on a sun-lite eagle sportsman wt. Anyone know anything about those?

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I can't answer your other question ...

But here are some pictures of a 9' foot long camper, on a short 6' 2" truck bed.

It sticks out 10" past the end of his tail gate.

I don't like the look (would not usually recommend this), but he loves the extra room inside for his wife and kids.

Your truck bed might be closer to 6 1/2 feet long, so I don't think the camper would hang out as much.

Also attached are some pictures of our Six-Pac Campers. These are 8 1/2' foot long campers mounted on the short bed trucks. If the sunlite is 8 1/2' feet long, it should stick out about the same as the Six-Pac's (more or less) ??

Attachments

• P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 340
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 364
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 534
  • D850 on ford superduty 250.JPG
    D850 on ford superduty 250.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 437
  • Ford F-250 with D850 #1.JPG
    Ford F-250 with D850 #1.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 386

belleau

Thanks for the pictures. I think I'll end up regretting losing access to my trailer hitch, so I guess the search continues. Gonna be looking for a Short Bed camper.

Cacher

Observer
And of course here in Colroado you can NEVER find a longbed camper, but regulars are a dime a dozen.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks for the pictures. I think I'll end up regretting losing access to my trailer hitch, so I guess the search continues. Gonna be looking for a Short Bed camper.
I'd stick with the shortbed designed popup. It'll be more balanced and you'll have access to your spare tire and hitch. They're out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78