Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looks like a 1-ton......so still overweight for the platform?
Guess time & truck scales will tell.
Depends how interpret the article. It says Ram 3500's are sent to AEV to be turned into prospectors. Doesn't say that 3500's will be used for TruckHouse builds. The rendering looks like a crew cab with an 8' box length wheelbase. I don't believe Prospector's are currently built in that configuration.

AEV’s Prospector XL, known as a heavyweight in the overland industry, has earned its reputation for a reason. Starting as a 60-inch cab-to-axle RAM 3500 with high payload and towing capacity, this truck, available in regular or crew cab configuration, undergoes a remarkable transformation by AEV’s skilled team. With features like 40-inch tires, a robust stamped steel front bumper equipped with a powerful winch, a capable 3-inch dual sport RT suspension system, and rugged Highmark fender flares, the Prospector XL achieves off-road capability while retaining the RAM’s hardworking heritage. Customers can choose between the Cummins or Hemi power plants and benefit from an impressive fuel capacity of up to 74 gallons!

carleton

Curious as to why you think that? I believe the Nimbl and OEX Basecamp utilizes 1 tons with no problems.
I'll admit to feeing a little cheeky when I commented on weight this morning.......

but seriously:
Is the Nimbl also over payload on a 3500? Probably? But it is removable, so they aren't technically responsible for you choosing to overload your vehicle......
The Basecamp: weighs 2950 Dry weight, which is reasonable for a 1-ton. The basecamp also does not include 40" tires and winch bumper....so if a customer does that on their own and exceeds payload, that is on the individual not on OEV.

I'd be excited if TruckHouse has cracked the code, and created an amazing 1-ton integrated camper platform.
However, from my experience, it is really hard on the 1-ton to "have it all" without compromising on weight.
ie, winch, bumper, 40' tires, quad cab, diesel engine.
Traditionally the AEV upfitting is subtracting from the factory payload of the vehicle.

But as technology advances, it's getting closer. Lithium batteries allow for a much lighter camper. Maybe Truckhouse has it figured out with the Carbon body?

tacollie

Glamper
GVWR on a gas 3500 is 11000 and 11800 on the diesel. Both trucks can be had in a 4400 payload range. I think it would be easy to stay under gvwr on regular prospector on 37s. I believe they actually derate the rest axle rating on prospector XL because of the 40s so that doesn't seem ideal.

It's cool they are using a truck that doesn't need to have the frame heavily modified, brakes modified, rear axle replaced, regear, and suspension modified. I like they are moving to a truck designed to actually carry weight.

tacollie

Glamper
Great ! The PUs should have more payload, plus you'd add the box delete savings.

I took,

as referring to a cab & chassis. That was the numbers I looked up. And thought the 74 gals fuel was dual tanks. But am not super conversant with the RAM line up.
This is the chart I found.

Attachments

• Ram_HD_D2 4x4 Weight & Tow_MY22 (1).pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 6

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Curious as to why you think that? I believe the Nimbl and OEX Basecamp utilizes 1 tons with no problems.
No problems doesn't mean not overweight. From a practical matter both of those end up being overweight (if even though they fudge and make claims to the contrary as was pointed out already up thread)

It's fine if people want to run around in a truck over GVWR - and this is a hell of a better choice than a Tacoma, that was/is just silly. But let's at least be honest about it and CF doesn't carry much weight benefit in the end (which surprised me actually)

BuckinghamBuilt

No problems doesn't mean not overweight. From a practical matter both of those end up being overweight (if even though they fudge and make claims to the contrary as was pointed out already up thread)

It's fine if people want to run around in a truck over GVWR - and this is a hell of a better choice than a Tacoma, that was/is just silly. But let's at least be honest about it and CF doesn't carry much weight benefit in the end (which surprised me actually)
This is what I just don't get with using a mid-size Tacoma with a low payload for these heavy platforms. Not only that but the Tacoma is not known for having a ton of power.

GVWR is GVWR and its there for a reason and I believe if most folks got their rigs weighted they would be surprised they were overweight with all the gear and people they are carrying.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
This was the right move. Good sign for the company that they can deal with reality. 3500 is a fine platform. Main disadvantage vs 4500/5500/450/550 is the lack of the wide track front axle.

rruff

Explorer
If they are using the pickup chassis that will simplify attachment to the camper and save some weight. The better turning radius on the higher payload chassis is a great feature though.

Porkchopexpress

I was curious how this idea turned out as I couldn't imagine a practical solution. It seems as though Truckhouse gave up on the Tayota platform? Any idea if any made it to customers? I imagine it would have to be a private transaction where the buyer would have to sign off on a "prototype" with no guarantees of performance or reliability.

rruff

Explorer
There are a few Tacoma models that made it to customers.

I thought it was still available to buy, but the web page says "out of stock" now (it was never in stock...) and the purchase link sends you to the BCR page with the Ram 3500.

Hopefully it was a hell of a learning experience... though an expensive one. Glad to see they are able to stay in business using a much more sensible platform. This lets them focus on building the camper rather than the entire vehicle. (y)

alaskaboy

Observer
Would still rather it be on the F550/5500 platform for tremendous margin of safety at minimal additional cost. Downside is parts are slightly harder to find vs a 1 ton chassis? Drivetrain parts will not need replacing as often as they are right sized for the 40s and weight I would guess.

Their cabin is top shelf when I saw them at expo west 23.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan