Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

tacomabill

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to strengthen the frame and do other things that increase the capability of the chassis to safely carry weight.

What I am saying is that there is no way (that I am aware of) to increase the legal maximum weight of the vehicle (the GVWR) once it has left the factory.
That's only because there is no way to get the GVWR number on the door sticker changed. BUT, if Toyota implemented those changes at the factory, they would increase the GVWR, though no way to know by how much. Also, the only legal aspect of GVWR applies to commercial rigs which can get cited if they exceed it. Otherwise, the R is for recommendation and it is nothing more than that.

tacomabill

Doesn't insurance get difficult if over GVWR also? I have a (bad) habit of reading the fine print on stuff and I seem to remember that our insurer could - AFTER AN ACCIDENT - deny coverage if the vehicle was deemed overweight.

I'm not a lawyer, but that's probably a fight I don't want...
Insurance coverage can only be denied if your policy is not in force, .e.g., missed payment, or the vehicle was used to commit a crime. Otherwise, all states have laws requiring the insurance to provide the coverage you paid for. Afterall, the whole reason for insurance is to protect your butt from doing stuff you shouldn't do -makes no difference how bad a mistake you made or how bad your driving was or how overloaded you were: they have to cover you. After that they can refuse to renew or jack up your premium.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Thanks tacomabill. But isn't that coverage predicated on certain information provided at the point the policy is written? And there are exceptions to your statement made if that information is incorrect? For example, if someone says they are looking for coverage of a vehicle that weighs X pounds, or is X length, or similar factors.....if that is not true then the coverage is null and void? Wouldn't lying on the vehicle facts and data constitute an "out of force" situation?

Which basically means that it's not a matter of after an accident, but from the very start?

I only ask because during our search, the GVWR consideration was a major one and it wasn't always from a safety perspective since as was mentioned above there are plenty of things a builder might do to maintain the safety factor but that doesn't automatically mean it changes the registered GVWR?

rruff

Explorer
But isn't that coverage predicated on certain information provided at the point the policy is written?

I don't recall being asked what my max loaded weight was when I got the policy. I think the insurance company would need to prove misrepresentation or negligence or something.

GVWR is not a legal stipulation period for non-commercial users.... at least that I've been able to find. I seems to be more of a warranty and liability number for manufacturers.

And... just think about it for a moment. Weight can be an important factor for safety, but there are others that are more important. Like how high that weight is and the CG in relation to the axles, and the quality of the suspension and tires, etc. Tall but lightweight vehicles are a bigger hazard than tall heavy ones when you have 50mph wind gusts. Big trucks and RVs are a huge hazard period; you'd have to really exceed normal levels before your pickup+camper's stopping and handling ability was that poor. Not to mention the poor stopping and handling ability of your average vehicle pulling a big trailer.

Another thing occurred to me. It's often brought up that modifications cannot change your "legal GVWR" (ie the sticker)... but in truth as soon as you make any modifications the GVWR sticker is null and void. You've changed it from the original specs, and could just as easily make things worse rather than better. Certainly common modifications like a lift and bigger tires have a detrimental effect on braking and handling. Definitely true for removing swaybars!

Last edited:

tacomabill

Thanks tacomabill. But isn't that coverage predicated on certain information provided at the point the policy is written? And there are exceptions to your statement made if that information is incorrect? For example, if someone says they are looking for coverage of a vehicle that weighs X pounds, or is X length, or similar factors.....if that is not true then the coverage is null and void? Wouldn't lying on the vehicle facts and data constitute an "out of force" situation?

Which basically means that it's not a matter of after an accident, but from the very start?

I only ask because during our search, the GVWR consideration was a major one and it wasn't always from a safety perspective since as was mentioned above there are plenty of things a builder might do to maintain the safety factor but that doesn't automatically mean it changes the registered GVWR?
Agree with rruff on the insurance issue. I have never had an agent ask about, nor a policy specify anything about GVWR or vehicle weight. All they ever asked for was the vehicle make, model, VIN, camper registration, etc.

gregmchugh

Observer
I'm not saying that it isn't possible to strengthen the frame and do other things that increase the capability of the chassis to safely carry weight.

What I am saying is that there is no way (that I am aware of) to increase the legal maximum weight of the vehicle (the GVWR) once it has left the factory.

I own a 2008 Roadtrek RS Adventurous on a Sprinter chassis. Roadtrek increased the weight rating on this vehicle after safety testing. No change to the van, Mercedes GVWR was 8550 lb (less than the sum of the front and rear weight ratings). Roadtrek increased the weight rating to 9200 lb (sum of front and rear weight ratings). I doubt than anyone checked to see if they managed to magically load the van to not exceed either the front or rear weight rating though...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'd be very impressed if they put a good prototype together. I'm all for people trying new things... just think the initial marketing and fundraising was pretty shady.

Agree wholeheartedly

They may have good intentions but so far, it all seems super super shady...

As someone with a racing background and with many friends that actually build real trophy trucks, them claiming “trophy truck suspension” is both deceptive and comical

It’s an off the shelf kit with a few tweaks, at best ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle