Thoughts on windshield replacement?

cbradley

Adventurer
I had a large crack form in my windshield this week, so I need to get it replaced. Toyota wants $1200 to replace it. I have called a bunch of places in the area where they will come to my office and replace it for about $250. I have tried to get a straight answer from them about any differences between the OEM glass and the replacement glass. The answers have varied from, "it's the same glass as the factory, it just doesn't have the toyota logo on it" to "it's just as good, its PPG or Pilkington." Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this issue?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
In my experience, the OEM Toyota glass is much more durable (thicker?). I replaced my OEM glass with an aftermarket and it chips like a 50 year old paint. Smallest rock = instant chip.

With that said, I don't think I'd ever pay $1200 for an OEM unit. I get mine from a local shop that installs for $150. I also bought a commercial windshield repair kit to fix any chips, so it's worked out ok for me.

Momrocks

Adventurer
If you are concerned about replacement glass quality, you can always go to an auto recycler for an OEM Yota windshield. You can polish it out prior to the installer popping it in.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
seal...

I just replaced mine, the installer said I would get a better seal with the flat gasket (stock had a 1/2 inch rim) since then, water streak off the sides and covers the side windows. I wish I had kept my old style gasket.

That said, I have replaced several windshields over the years, and always gone with the PPG ones. Seem to last as long, but I am in teh NE with salt being thrown up at the windshield all winter.

my $.02

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Insurance?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned your car insurance. If you have comprehensive coverage, this should be covered. At least, it always has been for me.

Small cracks and chips are always repaired with no out of pocket cost to me. State Farm has no deductible for those.

For complete windshield replacement, which I did recently, my deductible was only $100.

Now, I have a feeling that the OEMs don't actually manufacture the glass. They source that from a glass manufacturer and have it made to their specified tolerances, but finding out which brand to get might be tough.

Good luck.

corax

Explorer
I'm surprised no one has mentioned your car insurance. If you have comprehensive coverage, this should be covered. At least, it always has been for me.

That's a law in some states, others don't have that

For the price, shop around a bit and mention any lower estimates to their competitors to see if anyone will match price with a better quality glass

kjp1969

Explorer
We've had an aftermarket windshield in our 2004 Sequoia since the truck was 1 month old, and it seems fine to me. The last glass guy I spoke with said that there's name-brand glass and cheap glass, and the name-brand glass is worth the extra dollars.

mmtoy

Adventurer
I was very disappointed in the quality of the aftermarket windshield on our Prius. There were so many small variations in thickness that the distortions were sometimes nauseating. It was so bad that sometimes I had to sit perfectly still with my eyes looking straight out. The replacement happened after we had reduced our insurance coverage to just the minimum. I don't think I'll ever go with a non-Toyota windshield again.

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--
Now, I have a feeling that the OEMs don't actually manufacture the glass. They source that from a glass manufacturer and have it made to their specified tolerances, but finding out which brand to get might be tough.

You're actually right. OEM in the "glass world" has nothing to do with the auto manufacturer's logo. PPG and some of the others are OEM glass companies, meaning they produce the glass for Honda/Toyota/GM/BMW/Ford/etc and their offerings meet the same specs as the dealer glass. Their offerings should be exactly the same as the offerings from the dealer's parts department, with the exception of the logo. The price is in between the glass carrying the auto manufacturer's logo and that of replacement manufacturers (used by Safelite, etc.) who use 3rd party glass (aka OEE.) OEE, original equipment equivalent, are the ones which have a low price tag and generally are inferior to the original (thinner.)

Something important to remember: The dealers won't accept OEE glass on lease returns, but will accept OEM glass and dealer glass. OEM glass also keeps the car qualified for most Certified Used programs.

Some states do have a glass law. In Kentucky, there's zero deductible if you have full coverage (regardless of your comprehensive deductible amount) set by state/commonwealth law. A few other have this also. I wish Louisiana did, as my 07 Accord got a crack less than 6 months after buying it new. I'm in the process of it being replaced, just haven't decided on the one I'm using. Still researching it, but it'll probably be PPG.

PPG supplies a lot of Toyota's glass, but this can change depending on the model and year: http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/OEMGlass/40_AutoResourceGuide/Vehicles.htm

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
I called around the local shops. PPG or Pilkington can be had for about $250. Curiously, my windshield deductible is also $250. Depending on the timeframes involved, I may go through my insurance and get the Toyota dealer glass.

While doing my research, I came across http://safewindshields.com/. It has some useful safety information.

There is also some useful information from an installer towards the bottom of the first page of posts: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3736

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I've talked to the glass shop that we use at our dealership and their windshields are almost $1000 cheaper than ours. They said the most important thing when using an aftermarket windshield is to use the factory moldings. The aftermarket ones are prone to leaking. Your insurance company should cover the cost of replacement with a factory windshield. If you can't find anyone to help you out, give me a call tomorrow at 888-413-1939 x339 and I'll see if we can help you out. Ask for Ryan if you call.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Has anyone ever had a windshield polished? I have pretty noticeable pitting from sand/desert trips. Can this be fixed or do I need new glass?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I use PPG and Pilkington as well. Diamond glass replaces for about $175 with a small warrantee and there is a cheap generic place near a junk yard here in SLC (that uses new glass) that is run by some Iranians that is only $125 if you negotiate, no matter what vehicle. They install crap by default but if you ask for PPG or Pilkington you get it. Pilkington is OEM on VWs and Audis for example. Shop around... From there it depends on what insurance you have but I really dislike using insurance for windshields as its such a racket...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears