Thread for those that have their money down.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know how these are for tall people? Was really excited to order one, but was hoping for a test drive. Had a notification they were going to be coming to slc in may for demo day but didn’t get any other info.
I'm 6-4, and like most modern cars I had hoped the visibility upward to the traffic lights would be better, but modern construction with the sealed glass and thick roof insulation makes it better for the 6' and below crowd. But thats all cars nowadays in my experience. I'd get the sky lights if only for the openness. the roof is close to my head otherwise. Leg room was sufficient for an automatic. If I was in a rhd country I wouldn't even consider it with the hump in that wheel well. That was a mis-design of epic proportions. With the limited seat adjustments and inability to go higher due to my height, my ******** would numb in 15 minutes.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Still seems like way too much money for way too much compromise and way too little concrete information.

What do some of you do for a living you are buying vehicles at this price point anyway?

Long finance terms?
I hope people aren’t financing what is essentially a toy- but to each his own.

Phideaux

I'm interested in the opinions of those that are actually tire kicking with money. Actual potential buyers. (Or owners if youre in Oz or Scotland or something)

I took the test drive 4/27/23 at Buds Creek, and my "rational" mind flipped to, "forget it" I want it mind, so I'm looking to discuss impressions and questions with others that also are in queue.

My quick assessment is.... It's an affordable updated 1990's G320 (gasser).

Why?

The underside is tight and cluttered as hell. Even the rear gas tank looks like the butt of a G .. just hanging there, in the way, bulbous, but yet amazingly small. There's no room for anything. Magna Styer box frame? Check. Solid tight overheavy build quality where nothing creaks? Check. Super short radius arms up front where a 50mm lift will cause the 5 link death wobble and your castor will go to pure crap? Check. Can't fit a real winch, and you're stuck with the factory custom minispool (15 meters) Redwinch, which you will never be able to repair in the US? Check. You'll have to stop 300 yards from a traffic light to see it if your're 6'4"? Check. (To be fair, that may have been one of the finer qualities they decided to carry over from a Defender). Inability to put larger tires on and have anything akin to a useful turning radius due to the proximity of the frame and arms? Check.

Overhead console is cool but is definitely a pain, the only saving grace being, It's not a standard transmission so you won't need that right arm as it searches for switches above and behind your sight line. Speaking of the tranny, there's not enough engine braking or low gearing for steep descents. it scoots downhill in 4low. It really does remind me of the G320 in that regard.

Actual seating was fine, but it was a short drive. I rode in both front and back. The sacrifice compared to a D110 being the cargo space seems much smaller. If it had d110 ride height, and d110 ground clearance, it could have been a smidge longer for more d110 like cargo.

After riding in it, I'm still stuck on it being the perfect truck for someone that has the exact questions it answers. But like... who ever said, "I need a shorter winch line on a winch that costs 3x as much."?

Anyway, Right now I want it. I'm sure due in large part because I want to be one of the cool kids in the club parking lot, While discussing the finer attributes of Sir. Radcliff with a cigar and overpriced scotch. And it'll do whatever any other mall cruiser would do with real, actual doors in back. I couldn't see ever buying a new 4 door Defender over this. That would be stupid. I really do see more women than men driving those on the road. A Defender. A Real Estate sales mangers car. It makes me cry. Real men can cry, you know.

Anyone else take it for a drive and have any other critiques?
drove it and I loved it it ate up the trails my head wasn't back and forth and wow it was quiet and it was very sur footed, ordered I have a FJ 96 80 and a 2021 Lx 570 all very diff trucks but this thing is just diff I cant justify it but I am going to by December

Ragman

I am waiting patiently. Drove it at the Chicago event and really liked it. Some stuff I did notice-the steering ratio (I did miss that tree!), the lower headroom on entry similar to a Camaro, comfortable ride and seating. At this point I have heard Q4 delivery.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I just emailed Philly to see when they are getting a demo. I really need more seat time.

2.ooohhh

Waiting for the dealer in Atlanta to call to go over my build and firm up the rest of the process/timeline. I confirmed once the dealers were announced after seeing who they went with for the first ones.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Still seems like way too much money for way too much compromise and way too little concrete information.

What do some of you do for a living you are buying vehicles at this price point anyway?

Long finance terms?

most manufacturers sell every $60k+ vehicle they can make.

people make all sorts of financial decisions for any number of reasons all day every day

crazysccrmd

Observer
I got the call for a February delivery but had to decline due to moving around that time frame. Any of the options for where I will be going have no support for the vehicle unlike where I live now with a dealer only a short drive away.

utherjorge

Observer
I got the call for a February delivery but had to decline due to moving around that time frame. Any of the options for where I will be going have no support for the vehicle unlike where I live now with a dealer only a short drive away.
And I sincerely doubt that the service situation will get any better. I don't really think that the financial horizon portends doom and gloom, but 8% interest rates are what they are. If this launched a year ago (all other things being equal) it's a different conversation.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Interest rates are a killer right now. I typically like to purchase a home when I move somewhere new rather than rent but I don’t know about it this time around. Looking at close to an extra $1000/month on payment in just interest charges is not appealing.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Interest rates are a killer right now. I typically like to purchase a home when I move somewhere new rather than rent but I don’t know about it this time around. Looking at close to an extra $1000/month on payment in just interest charges is not appealing.

Neither is a $1,000/month to 2,000/month rent payment that goes down the drain wherever you move!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger