Three days and two nights along the Clearwater River

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Because our pup, Bella la Diabla, decided to go into heat, Nanc and I backed out of doing the WYBDR with Ace, Gary, and the group. Seeing that we were pulling our lightweight old Freespirit Recreation trailer with us, it was a sound decision. An alternate route home was created while gassing up in St Regis, MT. There is a great little hamburger shop there that also makes the world's best chocolate malts. After a quick lunch, we headed east to Superior, MT, then launched south into Idaho. My initial goal was to hit Kelly Creek and find a campsite along it. Nanc wanted something with a pit toilet, so we traveled a bit west and south and found the perfect USFS campsite. Being early in the week, only one other couple was camping there. They were very nice and very quiet.

Nanc is a mermaid at heart. I always try to find some sort of flowing water nearby when we go out. This campsite was perfect for that; we ended up less than 30 feet from the river. The sound and smell of the forest and rushing stream were delightful. We ended up spending two nights there. We should have stayed longer. Rather than going home the same way we came, we decided to follow the Clearwater River west. This took us down to Lewiston, ID, and then up the Lewiston Grade, through the Palouse, and back to Spokane.

I'm not giving out the name of the campground nor the fork of the river we ended camping on. Pull out your Benchmark map and a yellow marking pen and come up with a similar trip on your own.

Losing out on the WY adventure was a disappointment, but making a quick change in plans and visiting an area I hadn't been in in many years really made up for it. Being next to a river in the hot days of mid-August, taking our young pup out on her first adventure camping, sitting with my wonderful wife and enjoying the beauty surrounding us, it was magical.

IMG_2377.jpegIMG_2367.jpeg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
That's some beautiful country down there. I've spent a little time for work down around Orofino and Kamiah, it was off the main roads with a company putting fiber in. I need to get back there for sightseeing instead of work.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
We drove into Orofino from the east on our way home. Beautiful little town. I remembered the drive down into town from our IDBDR trip when we spent a night at Dvorshak Dam (sp?). That whole area is my kind of country. Forested mountains with lots of streams for fly fishing. Great place to get lost in for a week or two.

EX121

We drove into Orofino from the east on our way home. Beautiful little town. I remembered the drive down into town from our IDBDR trip when we spent a night at Dvorshak Dam (sp?). That whole area is my kind of country. Forested mountains with lots of streams for fly fishing. Great place to get lost in for a week or two.
My Parents lived in Kamiah for many years. Spent a lot of time there. Used to love camping on the North Fork of the Clearwater River. But I especially loved up the Selway area. Nice Boykin Spaniel.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Boondock camping on clear waters is my kind too. We did find a couple of good spots on the WYBDR but too early in the day to camp.

Looks like you had a nice alternate trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
My Parents lived in Kamiah for many years. Spent a lot of time there. Used to love camping on the North Fork of the Clearwater River. But I especially loved up the Selway area. Nice Boykin Spaniel.
Well, you nailed it, ha ha.

Yes, we love this area. In fact the eastern half of WA, northern ID, and western MT, into southern BC and AB, basically the Columbia River drainage area is what I consider paradise. The better known fly fishing areas have all been "discovered" and I mourn their loss. Very much like Moab. Just too many people who don't understand how to have limited impacts on their environment. So are ending up trashing it. Off the soapbox now....

Bella is our third Boykin Spaniel after many years of Springers. Springers were just getting too inbred. Our little Bella's breeder is keeping his line very much like the original little Boykins from the Carolinas. At 10 months she is pretty much full grown and tips the scales at 30 lbs wet. She is on the trail for an hour every day so is all muscle. Boykins are lovable, easily trained, affectionate dogs that are great as combination hunting/house dogs. They do need to exercise to stay happy and fit. Definitely not for couch potatoes ha ha.

71107319175__5744A1B0-DB96-48C1-AF64-0ADF28CC9CBB.jpeg

I can just hear her saying "hey, old fart, it's time for our walk!"

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Boondock camping on clear waters is my kind too. We did find a couple of good spots on the WYBDR but too early in the day to camp.

Looks like you had a nice alternate trip.

Ace,

When a person finds a good camp spot that's time to quit for a day or two. I doubt if there will be too many "I'll come back and check it out in the future" days left for either of us. More good memories, less miles is my new motto. It is the journey not the mileage that should be our goal.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Ace,

When a person finds a good camp spot that's time to quit for a day or two. I doubt if there will be too many "I'll come back and check it out in the future" days left for either of us. More good memories, less miles is my new motto. It is the journey not the mileage that should be our goal.

Very true! However when a group starts out on a BDR, or any long point to point, there is a strong need to finish it all. Especially in my case leading the trip. However i don’t think ill do any more long trips. I wanted to quit more than once but that press on regardless mantra was in my head. If I wasn’t experiencing so much pain from the back issues it would be different.

Talk about crowding, my San Juans were badly crowded this weekend. Hordes of side by sides (golf carts) everywhere. Its no wonder Mountain towns are banning them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior