Thule 460 Roof Rack Issue

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
176809_sized_750x800.jpg

I have a Thule 460 podium kit with the Thule Square Bars (50" load bars) that I just put on the top of my Subaru (2013 Impreza WRX). The podium feet fit fine, but the square crossbars can be slid side to side fairly easily. In fact, if you remove the rubber ends, you could simply slide them off the rack.

There doesn't appear to be any adjustment for this, either. It's almost like the square metal loop needs to be tightened, or the crossbars need to be a few mm thicker. All three bolts on each podium foot are tight, but I don't want to overtighten.

Anything I might be missing before I bring it back to the retailer?

FYI This is what it looks like:
maxresdefault.jpg

spikolli

Go back and double check the instructions. Thule supplies dimensions for the locations of the 460 on the load bar based on the vehicle and their racks are pretty picky on these dimensions. The specific dimensions are in with fit kit. I suspect that you have the feet a little bit too far apart on the load bar. It might not hurt to check the printed dimension in the Fit Kit with the online pdf instructions. I have encountered printing errors in the past.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. The positions are fixed and cannot be moved farther apart. The mounting studs are placed in the rearward spot per the instructions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

spikolli

Sorry I maybe wasn't clear in the previous message. You need to mount the feet on the bars first at thule's dimension. When you tighten the feet to the roof of the vehicle the bolts pull on the feet a little bit and tighten up the bars. Maybe also do a quick check to make sure you have the correct fit kit number. Sometimes a dyslexic sales person grabs the wrong one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman