Tie Rod Trail Repair??

Billinsd

Observer
I got a 2002 Tacoma and was wondering how often the tie rods will break and if you guys make a jerry rig fix on the trail, or carry spares? Thanks Bill

WoldD90

Adventurer
If you "taco" it, you can use a winch, tree and a snatch block to gently straighten it out. may not be perfect, but will get you off the trail.

Renegade

Observer
I'm not sure on an IFS rig, but I once snapped my drag-link on a Cherokee, I used the handle from a hi-lift jack and welded it on there. I basically slipped the two broken pieces inside the handle and then welded as much as I could at the ends. I was not pretty but it got me off the trail and onto a trailer to go home. If I remember correctly I think we had to cut the handle some to make it shorter.

Billinsd

Observer
I'm speaking of the tie rod. I was thinking of the actual "bar" part of it and not the end. I had a Nissan truck and two of the tie rods broke, right in the middle and I could not drive the truck after that.

Could the end break off or break and could I still drive the truck?

It seems like the tie rods on Tacomas get looser and looser and eventually need to be replaced, or bend.

The more I research the less it looks like I really need to carry a replacement?

And it seems like I just need to check the tie rods and suspension from time to time and replace it when it goes out. However, I will have some warning ahead of time?
Thanks
Bill

keezer37

Explorer
My experience is the ends (ball joint) wears and could eventually break. You can check them simply by grabbing it and checking for any up/down motion. Also, while it should move back and forth, it should offer some resistance to you doing so.
On another note, you can maintain them by greasing them. Even if they do not have grease fittings, you can use a needle made to go on the end of a grease gun and slipping it in between the post and boot. If/when work is done around the front end, it is not uncommon for you or a mechanic to inadvertently push against the boot of the joint squeezing the grease out.

If the end breaks off, you cannot drive the truck. Actually, the truck may just drive you.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I carry a spare inner TRE/outer TRE combo for my Tacoma. There really isn't a tie rod to speak of, the outer TR end plugs right into the inner tie rod end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman