Tierod slop! Is this normal?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Tierod slop! Is this normal?

Ok, it looks like I might have some tierod slop. This the Currie unit. I can easily rotate either bar. There seems to be no slop left to right but they rotate easily and as you can hear in this video, make a nice little sound. This sure does not seem normal. Let me know what you think. Sorry for the lack of light. Just had the wife use the iphone at 11pm to shoot this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNLjH2C6m0

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Had your Jeep for very long? Twisting movement is normal for a well greased tie rod end, but any in-and-out or side-to-side play indicates a worn rod end.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
They are very well greased with every oil change at 3k. The total mileage on these is 54K. There does not seem to be any in out or side to side that I can tell.

Steve F

Adventurer
They are very well greased with every oil change at 3k. The total mileage on these is 54K. There does not seem to be any in out or side to side that I can tell.

Then you have no problem :) A tierod end is a ball in a socket, it will rotate. This pic will probably help explain the movement you have and why it is normal :) Its only a problem when the ball is not encapsulated firmly and moves in it's housing rather than just being able to rotate.

Tie-Rod-End+exploded+view.jpg

Cheers
Steve

GP'd

Adventurer
What everyone else said! Check for in out or side to side movement or free play in the steering. By the video it looks just like my Currie front end does when I rotate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12