Tiger CX 2008

I was the previous owner of this rig, bought it as a flip the original owner lived in it with her cats, the whole interior needed to be gutted and redone, it turned out pretty awesome when I was done with it, I would’ve considered keeping it if it wasn’t for the dreaded 6.4, it even makes the 6.0 look good and I was scared to drive that thing to the market and back. The couple I sold it to did a ton of aftermarket work to it with the bumpers/roof rack/roof AC. I ran into them when I was road tripping through Bend and they were fairly rude to me, maybe because I didn’t disclose the 6.4 reputation with them and they found out afterwards 🤷‍♂️ whoever buys this be prepared to shell out $25k for a full bulletproofing in which the body has to come off the frame.

ovrland6250

I was the previous owner of this rig, bought it as a flip the original owner lived in it with her cats, the whole interior needed to be gutted and redone, it turned out pretty awesome when I was done with it, I would’ve considered keeping it if it wasn’t for the dreaded 6.4, it even makes the 6.0 look good and I was scared to drive that thing to the market and back. The couple I sold it to did a ton of aftermarket work to it with the bumpers/roof rack/roof AC. I ran into them when I was road tripping through Bend and they were fairly rude to me, maybe because I didn’t disclose the 6.4 reputation with them and they found out afterwards 🤷‍♂️ whoever buys this be prepared to shell out $25k for a full bulletproofing in which the body has to come off the frame.
Great knowledge! Thanks for sharing the backstory.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
The only bulletproofing I know for 6.4 is a Cummins swap, and the engine can be replaced without having to take the body off the frame.

danneskjold

Unbelievable..."the seller didn't disclose the obvious that the engine it came with has a bad reputation and we were too lazy to do any of our own research"

rabbid12

I've had my 6.4L diesel for 3 years and did a TON of research on the engine before / during owning it. Maybe I'm just lucky but I never had a single issue with the engine - that said the previous owner had immaculate maintenance records and I've been very diligent about the maintenance schedule as well.

On the good side despite the bad press on the 6.4 I get decent mileage for an RV, the engine is super powerful, and I love the Tiger form factor as it's a dream to drive long distances or off road and feels bomber in situations where truck campers feel super tippy.

Most common issues on the 6.4L diesel:
-Most of the complaints online seem to come from the DPF system causing a number of downstream issues. Mine works flawlessly so I never messed with it, however lots of folks have seen good success with a DPF delete (depending on your use case / where you are located if it's legal.)
-The plastic on the end of the radiator is a bad design and over the long term can start to leak.

Here's a good and very comprehensive article on the all of the 6.4L potential issues and solutions + aftermarket parts - again the majority have to do with the dpf system: https://dieselresource.com/diesel-resources/6-4l-powerstroke-problems/

I'm definitely biased as I love this truck and am currently selling it, but in 3 years and some demanding use it's not had a single engine issue.

Like anything else, I think doing your research and being educated before buying (for ex I would not buy a 6.4 that didn't follow the maintenance schedule, and I'd recommend oil changes every 5k miles vs 10, but that's easy) and knowing what the potential problems are is most important on the 6.4. If I wanted to bulletproof mine I'd look into a DPF / EGR delete, but because the mechanics I've had service it say it's in great shape I haven't bothered. Although it's allegedly an animal with the dpf delete with 500+ hp

I have it listed on the site here because I'm getting married and weddings are stupid expensive, but otherwise would keep it forever: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...les-86-500-obo-denver-co.239857/#post-3115028

jbresee

I've had my 6.4L diesel for 3 years and did a TON of research on the engine before / during owning it. Maybe I'm just lucky but I never had a single issue with the engine - that said the previous owner had immaculate maintenance records and I've been very diligent about the maintenance schedule as well.

On the good side despite the bad press on the 6.4 I get decent mileage for an RV, the engine is super powerful, and I love the Tiger form factor as it's a dream to drive long distances or off road and feels bomber in situations where truck campers feel super tippy.

Most common issues on the 6.4L diesel:
-Most of the complaints online seem to come from the DPF system causing a number of downstream issues. Mine works flawlessly so I never messed with it, however lots of folks have seen good success with a DPF delete (depending on your use case / where you are located if it's legal.)
-The plastic on the end of the radiator is a bad design and over the long term can start to leak.

Here's a good and very comprehensive article on the all of the 6.4L potential issues and solutions + aftermarket parts - again the majority have to do with the dpf system: https://dieselresource.com/diesel-resources/6-4l-powerstroke-problems/

I'm definitely biased as I love this truck and am currently selling it, but in 3 years and some demanding use it's not had a single engine issue.

Like anything else, I think doing your research and being educated before buying (for ex I would not buy a 6.4 that didn't follow the maintenance schedule, and I'd recommend oil changes every 5k miles vs 10, but that's easy) and knowing what the potential problems are is most important on the 6.4. If I wanted to bulletproof mine I'd look into a DPF / EGR delete, but because the mechanics I've had service it say it's in great shape I haven't bothered. Although it's allegedly an animal with the dpf delete with 500+ hp

I have it listed on the site here because I'm getting married and weddings are stupid expensive, but otherwise would keep it forever: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...les-86-500-obo-denver-co.239857/#post-3115028
Lot's of trucks have crappy plastic ends on their radiators. Once it wears out, replace it with a full aluminum rad and you are set.

The motor isn't that awful if you delete the DPF and EGR systems (note that it is illegal, and delete tunes require some work to get). You also have to swap the fuel filters and drain any accumulated water out of the filter according to the maintenance schedule.

But if you take care of this engine, it can be a decent motor.

wheelie

Wheelie

some of your info is a little off.

Yes the 6.4 has a horrible reputation. I life In a an area where it can be tuned and fixed for the ability to run appropriately and not have the emissions problems it has.
Also you do NOT have to remove the cab. Thos in the know can do the work needed without cab removal.
I have owned many and actually like how they run as long as they have been bulletproofed.
if you’re in the know and or know a Professional you can get it running properly for 4-5k not 20+.

some of your info is a little off.

Yes the 6.4 has a horrible reputation. I life In a an area where it can be tuned and fixed for the ability to run appropriately and not have the emissions problems it has.
Also you do NOT have to remove the cab. Thos in the know can do the work needed without cab removal.
I have owned many and actually like how they run as long as they have been bulletproofed.
if you’re in the know and or know a Professional you can get it running properly for 4-5k not 20+.
The “Horrible reputation” is well deserved and honestly an understatement, doesn’t take much googling to quickly realize it’s easily a top 5 worst designed engines of all time. I can see owning one as a heavy duty work truck where AAA is a phone call away, but using one as an “off grid expo rig” would be daunting to say the least

sourdoughben

FYI, You can resolve a motor issue easier than rebuilding the coach. Luckily, My 2012 Tiger CX was on a Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 and without issue. My issue was the coach, nice looking but a poorly assembled POS money pit. Worse assembly build of an RV I've owned and there have been many. The top to bottom body seam leaked as did all the windows. Virtually every system failed during 4 years and 70K miles. Not just the plumbing, electrical and HVAC but the coach. Upper cabinets falling off, entry steps falling apart, structural stuff. Also, production does nothing to stock suspension. A fully custom engineered suspension, wheels and tires are sorely needed just to make them capable for graded FS roads. During ownership my repairs and upgrades were over $30K not including fuel and normal operating costs which were that much again. I recommend a hard pass on a used Tiger. I've heard newer units might have better QC ..... not positive.
towing before lift b (1).jpeg

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
⬆️ Wow! I’m very sorry to hear of the long list of coach problems you had to deal with, with your Tiger SDB!

I’ve pretty much had exactly just the opposite experience with my F350 2011 Tiger (with @ 60k on it). We’ve had no major problems with any of the systems in the coach…no leaking, cabinets are fine, A/C heater.. solar.. fridge.. plumbing.. etc all have provided us with enjoyable, stress free travels.

But….other than the few rather well maintained USFS and BLM roads we’ve camped off of, we’ve never done any major off roading with it. I have to wonder if the many miles on rough routes you’ve traveled contributed to the problems you’ve had (even if that tho, these rigs are supposed to be built for that, right?).

Anyway, FWIW, others should know that not all Tiger owners hate their rigs 😏, but anyone considering owning one should join the tapatalk owners forum to hear more from current and past Tiger owners about their experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior