Timberline Trailers.

Clutch

<---Pass
Stumbled upon these. (did a search on here, nothing came up)

Built like a sheep herder wagon.

http://www.trccamps.com/

Timberline-Range-Camps_26022098_264822_image.JPG

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Interesting. I wonder how well the "wagon" configuration tracks down the road with no tongue weight.

Clutch

<---Pass
Interesting. I wonder how well the "wagon" configuration tracks down the road with no tongue weight.

No clue, but they run those 3 deep wagon style trailers on semis here. http://www.mikeywalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/triple-e1313390784892-1024x529.jpg

There is quite a bit of sheep herding still active here, have seen their trailers way off the beaten path...often times wonder how in the hell they got them in some of the spots I have been.

Bit more maneuverable offroad.

el pollo

I first got to see these trailers about 16 years ago in Nevada. They are burley and well set up for what people now call "off-grid boondocking". Sheep herders call that "living high on the hog." I spoke to timberline a few years back and asked if they were amenable to minor changes in the set up, like a bigger bed. They said the lay out was pretty fixed. I'd also like to see chest fridges instead of the upright and an improved solar system. Otherwise, these things are very well set up and tough. They can be on the tall side for getting in and out of places with trees, but that will be the case with any larger trailer except for the VMI pop ups. As for the hay wagon running gear option. I dont have experience towing one, but the sheep herders still prefer that.

el pollo

These are the ones that I saw back in the day.

http://campwagons.com/index.html

I am still considering something like this for when I retire. They are a pretty good option if you are looking for something big enough to live out of that will be tough enough to avoid the campground life.

Clutch

<---Pass
It has a wood stove. Nuff' said!

Pretty cool!

I dunno, think I rather have propane or diesel heat. As wood takes up so much room to store, and you have to keep on feeding the stove. This is coming from a person who grew up heating the house with a wood stove...believe I rather push a button or turn a dial now...(think that means I am getting old ;) )

I first got to see these trailers about 16 years ago in Nevada. They are burley and well set up for what people now call "off-grid boondocking". Sheep herders call that "living high on the hog." I spoke to timberline a few years back and asked if they were amenable to minor changes in the set up, like a bigger bed. They said the lay out was pretty fixed. I'd also like to see chest fridges instead of the upright and an improved solar system. Otherwise, these things are very well set up and tough. They can be on the tall side for getting in and out of places with trees, but that will be the case with any larger trailer except for the VMI pop ups. As for the hay wagon running gear option. I dont have experience towing one, but the sheep herders still prefer that.

These are the ones that I saw back in the day.

http://campwagons.com/index.html

I am still considering something like this for when I retire. They are a pretty good option if you are looking for something big enough to live out of that will be tough enough to avoid the campground life.

Thanks for the link. I have towed hay wagons with a tractor...no clue how those things would do at highway speeds.

No idea what I'll get for retirement...part me wants something big and roomy, another side of me says small, light and simple.

el pollo

Clutch,

We are still thinking that over too and are tent camping until then. For several years I thought it would be a flat bed pop up camper on a truck, lIke a FWC or ATC. My wife has requested something slightly bigger than that with better access. She thinks the stairs and short doors would be a PITA as we get older and I am inclined to agree. After years of sleeping on camping pads, she has also requested a real bed. Whatever we end up with won't be a standard RV type trailer. We are not campground people. The 7'x12' versions are something we are considering. There are some things I would like to see different inside and out, but they have a lot going for them.

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch,

We are still thinking that over too and are tent camping until then. For several years I thought it would be a flat bed pop up camper on a truck, lIke a FWC or ATC. My wife has requested something slightly bigger than that with better access. She thinks the stairs and short doors would be a PITA as we get older and I am inclined to agree. After years of sleeping on camping pads, she has also requested a real bed. Whatever we end up with won't be a standard RV type trailer. We are not campground people. The 7'x12' versions are something we are considering. There are some things I would like to see different inside and out, but they have a lot going for them.

For retirement. don't know if I want a fullsize truck/camper...or a trailer...or a van. Right now, I tow a small 5X8 trailer now for the dirt bikes. I can get into some fairly tight spots and turn around somewhat easily with it. Not sure I want anything bigger than that for off-road, maybe a 5X10....but nothing bigger.

Currently I have a Wildernest on a Tacoma, so it is the best of both worlds....tent camping and sorta of a real bed. Quite enjoy that setup...sets up very quickly and get to waaaay out of the way spots since it is on a Tacoma. It isn't perfect but it works for now. Works great for a weekender and a 2 week trip camper. Not sure if I would want to full time out of it though....thought of going bigger, but the wife thinks I would hate it because I can't get it in where I want to go. She also says how much stuff do you really need to carry...just keep it simple stupid! ;) :D

We had '73 Westy for about 8 years...really liked the layout of that style of camper, but couldn't go too far off the beaten path with it. Guess you could do a Ford Transit with a 4WD and GTRV conversion...but that is way more money than I want to spend. Looking at around $50K for van purchase, 4WD and top conversion alone. Still have another 20 years before retirement, maybe 10 if I play my cards right...plenty of time to think about it. Ha! ;)

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Quigley-Products/Quigley-4x4-Ford-Transit-Vans/Product-Overview

6a00d83451b3c669e201bb0822fd1a970d-pi

http://www.gtrv.com/models

transit1.jpg

Last edited:

Roc8man

I came across one of these two years ago while hunting archery elk at 10,700 ft. My hunting buddy who spoke spanish talked to the sheep herder who was inside and he gave us a tour of it. The wood stove takes up hardly any space and he told us he had been using the camper non-stop for 16 months while here from Chile herding sheep for someone else who owned the camper. Since it gets pretty cold in the evening at that altitude (even in the summer) and the camper/sheep owner doesn't come by very often so he would have run out of propane if that was his only source of heat. He always has fuel nearby with the wood stove. Before we left, we gave him our leftover wood. Overall, the camper was built extremely well and maximizes the interior space with a great design. The quality isn't like the crap that comes out of the Indiana area which starts to fall apart as soon as you leave a paved road. Timberline campers are made to last and can take a ton of abuse based on what I saw and where it was. We were 32 miles in on a dirt road and the last 6 miles of it were so rough that it took us an hour to drive that portion without a trailer behind us. They have pics of one of their campers which slipped off the road and rolled. After pulling it back up and on its wheels, it had barely any damage. You definitely can't say that of anything out of Heartland USA. I too also contacted them last year and asked about tire sizes and matching tow vehicle bolt patterns. They would do that if within reason (e.g. no 40" tires...). I too was shocked at the price though but like they say, you get what you pay for.

fike

Adventurer
They look clumsy, top-heavy and awkward. Based on some pics on their site, a slightly modified Jeep still had the ball lower than the tongue (causing it to point down). I just down believe they could be durable. That tall cube shape isn't a very structurally sound design, and wind resistance has got to be hell.

Not my cup of tea. Doesn't look like a very good overlander, IMHOp.

Clutch

<---Pass
They look clumsy, top-heavy and awkward. Based on some pics on their site, a slightly modified Jeep still had the ball lower than the tongue (causing it to point down). I just down believe they could be durable. That tall cube shape isn't a very structurally sound design, and wind resistance has got to be hell.

Wagons for "overlanding" have been around for a very long time...going a lot of places before roads even existed.

4695ab6e086e46bc1f01dc7be6d0b0be.jpg

Roc8man

Not sure what you think an off road trailer is supposed to look like but everyone has an opinion. Regardless, this design has been successfully used longer than you have been alive and as noted above, settled the western US when "roads" didn't exist and people moved their entire families west with all their belongings.

As far as not being "a very structurally sound shape", I don't have any idea why you would say that. Do you believe all off road trailers should be shaped like a triangle? The proof of being structurally sound is in the pictures on their website. Take a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle