Timbren axleless axle bounces around when towing

Maxkull

Hello all, I built a teardrop trailer using timbren axleless axle and when I tow it, it bounces/wobbles around. The axles are rated for 2000 lbs and my trailer is maybe 600 lbs. It is so bad that I won't use it. My frame is made of 2x2 HSS and axles attached with the cross beam to connect them. Any ideas why it is wobbling/bouncing around? It is OK if I stay under 50km/hr but still not confident with it at that speed either.
Thanks
David

gatorgrizz27

How is it bouncing? Are you getting roll, sway, or hopping? What does it look like in the mirrors?

I have their silent ride suspension (basically the axle-less that attaches to a standard trailer axle), and it is the smoothest towing trailer I’ve ever pulled. Mine is also the 2,000 lb springs, trailer empty probably weighs around 1,000 lbs, and I’ve pulled it with 1-2k loads on it.

Things to check would be tongue weight, alignment, and tires, possibly swapping another set on. Weight distribution can be messed with via sandbags or water jugs.

Teardropper

wobbles around
Do you mean it becomes unstable while towing?

If so, that means you don't have enough tongue weight. You need to move your battery to the front or move the axles to the rear–preferably at the 40/60 point on the trailer frame.

As far as the trailer bouncing, that's because of the 600 pounds on a 2,000-pound suspension. You might call Timbren and see if they have lighter rubber "springs."

Tony

Maxkull

Thank you for the replies, when I hit 50 km/h it start to get very unstable. Bouncing from side to side swaying and looks like it it will flip over if I don't slow down, when it is parked and I rock it side to side it feels like mimum effort will rock it side to side

Teardropper

Thank you for the replies, when I hit 50 km/h it start to get very unstable. Bouncing from side to side swaying and looks like it it will flip over if I don't slow down, when it is parked and I rock it side to side it feels like mimum effort will rock it side to side

Do you have a photo of it you can post? I still think it's where the axle is mounted on the chassis frame.

This is where it should be:

pyec88A.png

The parked issue doesn't make sense unless one or both of your axles are loose.

Tony

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Let a bunch of air out of your tires, until you can see a visible bulge, see if it calms down, if so, you have far too stiff of springs and need to soften springs or tires or both.

Alternately, go buy bags of concrete from Home Depot, stack 1000 lbs in the trailer. If the bouncing is cured you need more weight or softer springs. Bags of concrete can be returned at the end of experiment if you don’t actually need 1000 lbs of concrete.

jwiereng

Hello all, I built a teardrop trailer using timbren axleless axle and when I tow it, it bounces/wobbles around. The axles are rated for 2000 lbs and my trailer is maybe 600 lbs. It is so bad that I won't use it. My frame is made of 2x2 HSS and axles attached with the cross beam to connect them. Any ideas why it is wobbling/bouncing around? It is OK if I stay under 50km/hr but still not confident with it at that speed either.
Thanks
David
seems like you have clearly described a situation where you are oversprung. Looks like the lowest spring you can get from Timbren Axleless is 1200 pounds. Still twice your weights. Maybe there is a way you can elongate the arms for more leverage (and travel) and retain the springs you have

Maxkull

Here are some pics, i have no weight in the front.

Attachments

• 20231210_175834.jpg
    20231210_175834.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 20231210_175724.jpg
    20231210_175724.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15

Maxkull

When trailer is parked and if I rock it back and forth when I let go it wobbles for a little, could it need shocks?

Teardropper

Looking at the tiny photo at the bottom of your last post (....404.jpeg), the swerving while towing is because the axles are too far forward on the chassis frame.

I realize they can't be moved at this point. What I would suggest is installing a tongue box and loading it down with weight. Something like a Group 27 lead acid marine battery, which is about 100 pounds. That should solve the swaying while towing.

I really like the Buyers Products tongue boxes. They are about $100.

NOmeDpZ.jpg

Tony

jwiereng

Looking at the tiny photo at the bottom of your last post (....404.jpeg), the swerving while towing is because the axles are too far forward on the chassis frame.

I realize they can't be moved at this point. What I would suggest is installing a tongue box and loading it down with weight. Something like a Group 27 lead acid marine battery, which is about 100 pounds. That should solve the swaying while towing.

I really like the Buyers Products tongue boxes. They are about $100.

NOmeDpZ.jpg

Tony
Yep, I agree. There are two problems. 600 pound trailer on 2000 pound springs. and axle placement.

It is not practical to move the axle, but it is still possible to elongate the frame and add more weight in front of the axle.

0bbaf0d2bc1cd072c18fcc63c1c75357.jpg

Maxkull

Hey guys thanks for all the replies, finally got around to installing tongue box and put in 80 lbs in it, this helped immensely and was able to get to hiway speeds, only issue now is that bumps in road make the trailer sway. I have the lock and roll hitch, should I install sway bar? Also to keep in mind the trailer is still not fully built and will be adding a little weight to inside still. Any suggestions on what to do so I don't have to have weight in the tongue box?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle