Time to Reconnect...A Trip with my Bro

mph

Expedition Leader
My brother Rob lives in Denver and we try our very best to get together when we can. However, life gets in the way. We hadn't got together since late June in Colorado. I watched the weather and told him the temps look prime. So, we made a loose plan to meet ouside Moab and explore some new things.

Arches is a national park for a reason--its uniqueness and shear beauty. The land of over 2,000 arches. Our intent was to explore some areas that we haven't seen before and try to find a rock art panel that I had heard about.

Rob looking over canyon country. The Book Cliffs to the north and we could even see the cars on I-70

DSC_7478.jpg

The temps were perfect for hiking and wandering in the Arches' Backcountry. Rob playing peekaboo.

DSC_7496.jpg

Arches are all over the place! If one wanders around, it's amazing what one can find!

DSC_7470.jpg

DSC_7457.jpg

The day was ours...We caught up through conversation as we hiked.

DSC_7564.jpg

I had heard about this rock art panel that the park service won't tell you about. It was our mission to find it. We did...The park service informed us by their sign that we had found something special and unique. I am glad they did...we both thought it was graffiti:) The panel was fabulous! A very large and long rock art panel with stellar views. The ancient ones knew what they were doing:)

DSC_7521.jpg

DSC_7533.jpg

The day was getting away from us, so back to the vehicles we went. Rob enjoying the Arches' backcountry.

DSC_7571.jpg

It was time for us to find a campsite for the night. Rob's new Colorado Duramax performed quite well!

DSC_7600.jpg

My trusty ride led us to a wonderful site.

DSC_7591.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
The next morning we awoke to a beautiful redrock glow...We enjoyed a cup of coffee, eggs, and bacon. It was a nice way to start our day. What would the day bring?

DSC_7607.jpg

DSC_7613.jpg

DSC_7626.jpg

The mission for the day was to descend a canyon up in the neighborhood of Deadhorse State Park. Off we went...Well, sort of...We had to make lunch first. With our packs weighted, it was time to "discover" a new canyon.

DSC_7631.jpg

There's a way down here, right? Walking down canyon, it was just peaceful. The Canyon Wrens were singing in the canyon as we tried to find our way down. I placed my pack on the slickrock to find the route. Sure enough, it was time to get our gear ready.

DSC_7635.jpg

We threw on the harnesses and grabbed the ropes. Down we went...

DSC_7640.jpg

DSC_7647.jpg

Rob enjoying the goods of canyon country. Mother Nature sending water through the canyon until this arch formed.

DSC_7650.jpg

We continued down...Rob getting comfortable on the rope.

DSC_7659.jpg

DSC_7664.jpg

The canyons around the Moab area offer so much for the desert wanderer. There was one more surprise to see tomorrow...More to come.

mph

Expedition Leader
Our final day dawned and off we went. Rob had to get back to Denver, so it was going to be a long drive home. I wanted to take him to a special place in Canyonlands National Park. Canyonlands National Park is desert beauty and grandeur at its best.

Rob taking it all in...The views made my brother speechless.

DSC_7683.jpg

We continued looking for the site. You see right? My brother didn't either, but I told him to keep the faith.

DSC_7693.jpg

The kiva sits back in an alcove. We sat, marveled, and wondered about the Ancient Ones visiting this kiva 1,000 plus years ago.

DSC_7699.jpg

All too soon, it was time for us to go our separate ways. Rob headed east, while I headed north. I have driven Highway 6 north toward my home in Park City 100s of times and have always wanted to stop at this old ranch. I am sucker for old ranches.

DSC_7741.jpg

DSC_7763.jpg

DSC_7766.jpg

I enjoyed a snack and the peace and quiet along the Price River.

DSC_7750.jpg

The vehicle graveyard was immense. So cool to see these old classics. Suicide doors, enormous tire fenders...it was all there.

DSC_7787.jpg

DSC_7796.jpg

Daylight was fading. It was time for me to get moving. Homeward bound...

DSC_7800.jpg

Until next time...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12