Time to replace the xtracab, no idea what to get

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey guys, I know this seems like a monthly topic but I am lost on the dealership lot. I currently drive a 2001 extra cab, and it has served my wife and I very well. We have traveled all over the US and visited countless National Parks, and spent hundreds of miles cruising dirt roads. We just gave birth to our first child, a beautiful daughter. We are both teachers so we spend our summer traveling and exploring. We don't do any really hardcore off-roading, but I do enjoy trail riding, and class 4 roads.

I have test driven both the 4th generation and 5th generation 4 runners, and was very underwhelmed for the price. The finishes inside weren't that nice, and the seating position is a little low for my wife. She prefers a more upright seating position, she currently hates the 01 taco seating position. Also I'm 6'3, and just barely fit in the cab of the truck. I am totally in love with my truck and so I have overlooked that I don't really fit.

Replacement Options

We test drove a newer Tahoe and we both loved it, but I realize that it is going to create huge problems if I really want to offroad in the vehicle. There is very little aftermarket support and the community is totally lacking. The interior space and drivers position are great. I have looked around to try and find the modifications the Border Patrol makes to there vehicles, but it seems they closely guard that info.

2006 LR3 - We test drove it, I loved it, my wife said we aren't high class enough for it. I laughed, but she is serious. Good offroad lineage, good community, but the cost of any sort of modification is insane. Parts are VERY pricey, and the drivers kinda seem....stuck up.

So this brings me to other options I haven't driven yet.

Older Sequioa's, older tundras, ???

Price range - Under 20k

Requirements - Hold 4 adults comfortably, or 2 adults, and some kids and a 50lbs dog. We also camp out of the vehicle, and have run a RTT on a custom rack over the bed of the truck. I would like to keep that tent, too many memories to get rid of it. Oh! Most important!! Space for rearward facing car seats, behind both the driver and the passenger seats. Having it stuck in the middle is a pain in the butt.

I realize this is a ramble, and with the need of a replacement vehicle looming I'm totally lost. The 5th gen 4 runners are too much money. 4th gen are hard to find in lower miles and I'm not sure the wife will be happy with that buy. I would love to stay with the Toyota brand for the long term reliability, and the community that supports them.

What do I do?! img0916t.jpg

7echo

Adventurer
I almost went with the 1st gen Tundra. From what I learned that was the best year(and last year for 1st gen).

An '06 can be had with low miles and in good condition and leave you money for toys.

marathonracer

Adventurer
Another tall guy here at 6 3 as well. We traded our 03 extra cab tacoma when our daughter was born as well. We ended up in a 06 DC tundra and could not be happier. The cab is huge plenty of room for the car seat and our black lab. My wife usually sits in back with the little one and has plenty of room (she's 5 10). The power is great and its really not that much wider than a 2nd gen tacoma. It is a very long truck but you get basicly a SUV cab with a full bed. We looked at DC Tacoma's but just couldn't pull the trigger on such a small bed. After market support is kinda lacking but getting better every day. There are a bunch of great 1st gen tundra DC builds on here to take inspiration from. Good luck.

1st gen Tundra quad cab. Tons of after market support compared to the Tahoe. The 4.7 is proving to be a worthy engine, 6 foot bed. Great trucks.

Surlybeast

I'll also go along with a 1st gen Tundra. Great build quality, plenty of space and a fullsize bed for your stuff. Otherwise, I'd be looking at the new Tundra, 1st and 2nd Gen Sequioa's, I'm not convinced on the Lexus, though my Aunt has a smaller SUV with 180+ on it and the thing is tight. I guess the cost to get in is higher but they last just as long. You have a good problem on your hands. Congrats!!!!
-jorge

01 Reg Cab Tacoma

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'd go with a 1st gen Sequoia as long as you're OK with higher miles (the 1st gen ran through 2007 so the newest ones are now 8 years old.) Make sure the timing belt is done but other than that they're rock solid. From what I've seen the price comparison between Sequoia/Tundra is similar to that between 4runner/Tacoma, IOW, for vehicles with the same model year and roughly the same mileage, the truck will always cost more. I don't know why this is, my guess is that it's because the "secondary market" for pickup trucks is much stronger than the secondary market for SUVs but it's a very real phenomenon.
What makes this funny (to me) is that when you compare the pickup and the SUV side-by-side, the SUV is much better equipped. Trucks don't have multi-link rear suspension, multi-mode 4wd, and a whole hose of other nice features that are generally standard in the SUV line. I certainly get that a lot of "truck guys" will say "I don't need all that fancy crap" and they may be right but it seems odd to me that the vehicle that has all the "fancy crap" sells for less on the used market than the one that is, relatively speaking, pretty stripped down.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I was in the same boat 3 years ago. Had my first kid and the beloved first gen tacoma had to go. I bought an 80 series and built it. Awesome truck, but wasn't good as a daily driver and when my second kid came, I didn't want to maintain two vehicles any more. Still, an 80 is a really good choice. Anyway, I sold both my vehicles and bought a 2nd gen Tacoma DC. I really like the truck and it's another good option.

Pretty much no vehicle will be comfortable with a rear facing car seat behind your seat. But they're only in those a couple of years.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!

2scars

Adventurer
I switched from a 1st gen extra to a 1st gen DC and it worked great. All of my mods swapped over and it fits well enough for me and my wife and little one. Maybe go sit in one of those too...

Brandon

oliverlove

Adventurer
Guys, thanks for all the comments! A double cab gen 1 still doesnt address the fact that she wants more room on her side of the vehicle.

Sequoia - Aren't they huge?! When I see them on the road they seem to be the size of Suburbans, if not fatter.

I'll have to take a look at 80s, Tundras, and Sequoias.

I guess I'm looking for a vehicle we can grow into. We currently only have 1 kiddo, but the wife I know wants more. If only they made Grizwald style station wagons that are 4x4 with better ground clearance.

tyv12

Adventurer
We just bought an 04 sequoia for our "minivan" and it's roomy but similar in size to an 80 almost, not too bad on fuel and the wife loves driving it good visibility and really good turning radius, had an 80 for a while but it was gas and the 10mpg and no power got old fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surlydiesel

Adventurer
The new Subaru Outbacks are huge!!! If that'll fill the void, save the gas and get one. I want a slide in camper, so we need at least a Tundra next time around.

srserl

Observer
I would also recommend a Lexus GX-470. If I needed something larger than my FJ Cruiser, the GX-470 would be it. You can find one with <100k miles for <$20k, which makes for a very comfortable daily driver plenty capable of class 4 trails stock, and much more with larger tires. Aftermarket is a bit thin, but all the basics are available...sliders, bumpers, lift kits, roof racks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger