Timgco's (Tail Rated) Expedition JK

Timgco

Adventurer
Well, I finally got started on this thing to post up a couple of progress pics.
My goal for this 2010 Rubicon is not to build an extreme Rock Crawler, but to build a dail y driver than can go tackle our CO trails and most of the Moab trails we run.

Since we do quite a bit of camping, Mtn Bike'n, and always have our dogs with, I went with the 4 door Rubicon. so it has room, and is capable out of the box. ...it's just the platform I wanted to start with.

So far I just have some minor things done inside:
Tinted the windows
Daystar dash panel
10lb Power tank/ rollbar clamps
Weathertech liners
(waiting on Katzkins heated leathers to come in still).
Cobra CB and Firestick
It has the factory Nav so I just need the lockpicks.

So far on the Outside:

Gobi Stealth Rack, Wind deflector, Dual Ladders.
Added my Yakima bike racks and fork mounts.
Bushwacker Flat Fenders (9 fricken hour installation)
Currently running 1.50" wheel spacers. I put those before my Moab trip for a little extra lateral stability. I couldn't afford to get the lift and everything on before that trip. Memorial day is another story though.

Next up will be RigiD Industried LED lighting front and rear hooked into SPod....once I get some funds set asside.

Things I cut so far:
I hacked the front bumper into a stuby for now. ...until I get a replacement bumper and mount up my Superwinch.
Also cut the factory rock rails back 2.5" on both sides and cut the pinch weld in preperation for next week's lift and 35's. I ended up using JB weld to seal up the pich seam where the foam was showing. I figured that should keep the water/ road grime out of there. I hope??????
Also bought the fittings and fuel rated hose/ mounted the evap can above the rear axle.

Next Week:
The Teraflex 2.5" lift (3" lift got the axe since I have barely enough room to get in the garage with the GOBi stealth up top). The 3" lift (4 1/4" really) would have left the truck parked outside. After my H2 sat outside in the weather, hail, snow, getting egged by some punka$$ kids, I decided from that point on, that ALL trucks will go in the garage!!!!

Teraflex Monster Front Track Bar
Teraflex Rear Track Bar
35 12.50 17 Procomp Extreme MT's X5
17 X 9 Procomp 7028/ Flat Black X5 (third set of wheels I picked out. The others kept getting back ordered. Since I couldn;t afford to go the Walker Evans beadlocks, I figured I'd run these for this Summer. Than when the snow starts to hit I'll throw a set of AT's on these and mount the MT's on W.E. Beadlocks next Spring when I can afford those. Yeah, I know, more money down the road, but I just really wanted to get the stockers off and sell them to pay for my heated seats. ..at least that's the plan for now.
Superchips Programmer
Flowmaster Exhaust (before axle) and dumperd out nice and high to avoid getting pinched flat like the factory exhaust did on SteelBender.

...couple pics. Nothing like some of the rigs on here, but for my first wrangler and no credit cards to build on, ...gotta go a little at a time. So this was phase one: (more pics to follow after the lift/ later this week).

gobiandyakima.jpg

flexedflares1.jpg

Last edited:

Timgco

Adventurer
pics of the rack. I'll get better pics up. This rack is ALL bolt on. No driling. The rack also has the front fairing, quick release so you can tilt the entire rack back so you change tops. The freedom pannels slide out without hinging the rack. The fairing makes for driving with those pannels out, wind free!!! Teh dual ladders on the back just mount to the rack. you can get three people up on the rack and it doesn't budge! So a rooftop tent will be supported with two adults easily.

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

flatfender3.jpg

Last edited:

Timgco

Adventurer
LOL, if someone is wondering what the JK looks like without fenders...

just before we put the Bushwacker flat fenders on.

P5070053.jpg

P5070052.jpg

Jeff H

Adventurer
Awesome JK! I would say phase one is pretty good. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :safari-rig:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
just an FYI...sometimes the lift kit will cause some wicked bump-steer...its NOT BUMP STEER...its the braking system glitching due to the lift fussin it...

dit the terraflex 4in on a buddys 07...had to reflash it..he's got the supertuner and swears by it...but after he drove my 09 unlimited with the 6spd..hes kickin his butt for not getin the stick!!

looks good...keep us posted!! (and a good review of the rack is nice!!..Im thinkin RTT for mine..but not thrilled with the racks out there)..

jingram

Adventurer
Cool JK, thread should be under the Jeep section though.. lots of guys probably missing out on the thread because it is under general.

RussRover

Observer
Nice Rubi!

Would you mind putting some pics up of the Daystar dash? Been considering installing this! Wanted to see your thoughts!

Thanks.

Timgco

Adventurer
Nice Rubi!

Would you mind putting some pics up of the Daystar dash? Been considering installing this! Wanted to see your thoughts!

Thanks.

I'll get some later this evening.
It's a 5 minute install. Very easy. I would try and find some rubber inserts for it though. It's just bare plastic. Whatever you put in there slides around/ vibrates. Some rubber padding will do the trick. I was at Sears the other day looking for the toolbox drawer inserts. I just need to put them in. I've also seen other owners use a bungee chord with rivets t hold down their cells.

Timgco

Adventurer
I got some quick pics after cleaning it up today. I have some work to do before I can flex it up since I have the AT and the front driveshaft will hit. the AT pan. ...from what I've read.

I have the 5th wheel/ tire sitting in my garage. ...waiting for someone local to buy my stock wheels/ tires so I can get $$$ for a bumper/carrier.

P5150021.jpg

P5150024.jpg

Timgco

Adventurer
coupe more for now. :wings:

fwiw- it rides pretty good!!! I nettted just over 3" in front and 2 1/2 in the rear.

I can clear that rubber flap above the garage header by 1" now with teh GOBI stealth and Yakima bike rack mounts. i'm assuming I'll loose a bit more once I put the bumpers and winch on. ...maybe a spacer will take care of that. we'll see. Anyone local to Denver need some stock wheels/ tires/ :smiley_drive:

...and yes, that stock spare has to go soon.

P5150026.jpg

P5150025.jpg

Token

Explorer
Hey Tim.. Didn't know you hung out over here.. Didn't know what you'd got rid of the Hummer for either.. Looks great.. Doesn't have the typical "Jeep" look about it.. Guess it's the Gobi sitting on top changing the lines up so much..

Timgco

Adventurer
Hey Tim.. Didn't know you hung out over here.. Didn't know what you'd got rid of the Hummer for either.. Looks great.. Doesn't have the typical "Jeep" look about it.. Guess it's the Gobi sitting on top changing the lines up so much..

Hey Rob, yep, I'm over here quite a bit looking at the different threads on Expo. rigs and campers. Always been a fan of that style.

I too think the GOBI changes the looks quite a bit...esp. the back end with teh dual ladders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998