timh & friends 2012 Adventure thread!!!

timh

Explorer
I really like the idea of putting all of my years adventures into one ongoing thread. Obviously I can credit Vermejo for the idea. I do a lot of day trips, camping, dirtbiking, and more so it will be nice to have a place to just throw in a pic or two when I feel the need.

I was lucky enough to have the week between Christmas and New Years off this year again so I took advantage of the time and had non-stop fun!:victory:

Monday 12/26 after Christmas started off with a planned moto ride @ Sycamore Creek north of Phoenix. My buddy Gary was off that day only so we wanted to get a good ride in. It was a good day of riding but we quickly learned that Upper Sycamore is a rather popular shooting spot and soon decided that we didn't feel comfortable riding amongst the insane amount of shooters out there. We packed up about 11:30 and headed back to Tucson and were able to get some more riding in up into Charoleau Gap that afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't stop to get any pics that day.

Tuesday 12/27 was another day for the dirtbike. I met up with kenmoto and we spent the day riding singletrack in San Manuel. A great day of riding but yet again no pics.

Wednesday 12/28: I really needed a day to recoop after 2 hard days of riding so Cayce (a.mus.ed) picked me up and we headed north for the Picacho Mtns in his 80. For once I got to ride in the passenger seat and relax. Luckily this meant lots of pics!:wings: The morning started of great. As we were crossing over the CAP canal we spooked a decent size mule deer buck.
IMG_0909.jpg

Picacho Peak
IMG_0915.jpg

Saw an insane amount of jackrabbits that day.:Wow1:
IMG_0919.jpg

As we continued up a powerline road on the west side of the mountain range we came across a large herd of Wild Burros (about 20 of them). I have seen them in the wild before but never up close. We drove up slowly hoping to get a pic, much to our surprise when we stopped they all made a b-line right for the truck. I wasn't sure what to expect but it turns out that these animals were amazingly curious and friendly. They crowded around taking turns sticking their head in the windows of the truck and checking us out. Soon we got out and mingled with them for a bit. You couldn't make any sudden moves but if we were calm and slow they would come right up to us. The really young ones however stayed well away and behind mom. We wound up spending about a 1/2 hour with them and it was a really cool experience.
IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

After our Burro encounter we were excited to see that the rest of the day would hold. Here we are stopped taking a look at an old stagecoach stop and outpost.
CopyofIMG_0968.jpg

We had come across quite a few dead cows at this point, not sure what was killing them but most had been dead a while. One of them had a couple of Crested Caracara's (Mexican Eagle) picking away at it.
IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

We made our way out into the very dry Picacho reservoir. They have been rebuilding the diversion dam on the Gila River for some time now so The Gila Canal that feeds the reservoir is bone dry. Certain times of the year there is 5-6ft of water where we are in these pics.
IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

Another dead cow. This one looked as if it had tried to cross the canal and had gotten stuck in the mud. This is deep in the inlet canal that fills the reservoir.
IMG_1001.jpg

We soon left the reservoir and got on the highway to head up the Florence to grab some lunch. We ate on the road and cruised over to the Diversion Dam to see how the work was progressing. It looks like they are almost done but it doesn't appear that they are going to allow access across the dam anymore. We found a spot to cross upstream as the river is barely a stream right now. The trail across the river were rather tight.
IMG_1006.jpg

After we crossed the river we headed back toward home. This turned out to be a really fun day.

more to come...

timh

Explorer
Thursday 12/29: I had a couple of friends that were off work this whole week also but Thursday was the one day everyone had something they had to do. I wasn't just going to sit at home and I damned sure wasn't going to do anything productive so I loaded up the dirtbike again and jumped on the highway. I parked southeast of Tucson and headed for the Whetstone Mtns on the bike. I had heard about an old abandoned cabin so I set out to find it. Not much time for picture taking but I did find the cabin and got one pic. The ride wound up being about a 50 mile round trip.
IMG_1010.jpg

Friday 12/30: I planned a one night camping trip to meet up with Brad (Tucson T4R), Erin, and Cayce @ Chimney Rock in Reddington Pass. I spent the morning helping Cayce get a rebuilt starter back in his rig so he could go. We got out to Chimney Rock around 1:30 and waited for everyone else to show up.

Pond on the way in to camp.
IMG_1015.jpg

Cayce and I sat atop Chimney Rock and got pics of Erin as he came in.
IMG_1026.jpg

Brad had been camping in Turkey Creek the previous 2 nights and had planned to come into Reddington Pass the back way. He didn't get into camp until 6:30 that night. Luckily his sweet new Kimberly Karavan is quick and easy to setup. I chose to sleep outside under the amazingly bright stars, and woke up covered in frost the next morning.
IMG_1042.jpg

A view of camp from the top of Chimney Rock.
IMG_1045.jpg

Packed up and heading back home on Saturday.
IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

Sunday 01/01: We met up with a bunch of friends and did a run through Willow Springs and had lunch where the San Pedro River and Aravaipa Creek converge. Only 1 pic from the day since I have more pics than one can imagine from this area.
IMG_1068.jpg

Monday 01/02: One more day off, one last moto ride. Gary and I decided to ride through Box Canyon and to the Coke Ovens. About halfway through Box Canyon we rode up on a herd of Big Horn Sheep.
IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

With the river being so low we were able to cross and make a big loop around the south end of the mountains.
IMG_1085.jpg

So that's how my 2011 ended and my 2012 began. Hopefully the rest of the year continues to be as much fun. Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks hopefully.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
The 28th was a great day, a little shy of 190 miles on the odo when I got home. I'd guess about 120 or so off pavement.
IMG_1127.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Nice idea to keep a running thread as much as you get out and about. :victory:

Those Burros you ran into still amaze me. I can't believe they stuck their heads inside your window and you have the pics to prove it.

We had a good time meeting up with you guys at Chimney Rock. It was a great night for the stars. We didn't mean to roll in so late but it all worked out for an enjoyable outing.

Edit: Tim is right, the stars that night were amazing. After sleeping under these all night he woke up and just wondered around in circles for hours. :elkgrin:

Chimney-Rock-2011-8-L.jpg

Last edited:

timh

Explorer
I have long talked about camping on every full moon of any given year just to say I did it. I decided that 2012 was going to be the year. Obviously it would be tough to camp on the exact night of the full moon so I figured that the weekend closest to it would have to suffice. This months full moon will be on Monday so I decided to camp out last night and enjoy the brightly lit desert. We always have our Friday night campfires here in NW Tucson and it's only 30min from my house so it seemed easy to just camp out there. We had a great turn out at the fire last night but my buddy Gary and I are the only 2 that decided to camp. Being a quick one nighter I decided it would be best to just sleep in the sand by the fire. We couldn't have asked for better weather and I slept like a baby. Got up about 8am this morning, packed up and got back home so I could get some work done around here today. Can't wait for next month!:victory:

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

Getting ready to leave camp this morning.
IMG_1093.jpg

timh

Explorer
Another good weekend in the books. Got out on the dirtbike yesterday with the guys and got in a nice aggressive singletrack ride in.

Today, my wife and I were lucky enough to get a sitter and spend the day riding together. I get out and ride quite a bit but she doesn't get to go as often so it was nice to get out, just her and I. We started out near the Old Tiger Mine site NE of Oracle. Our loop took us through the Black Hills Ranch and across to Willow Springs then back again. Weather was gloomy today but at least the rain held off until we were heading back home.

Looking south toward the Catalina Mtns. Still quite a bit of snow up there.
IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

We stopped to play on this rock step in Grants Pass wash.
IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Found a neat little waterfall and some mine shafts in a small dead end canyon.
IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

Been doing quite a bit of riding lately but it looks like we might have a little break. Might be able to get back out in the truck again in the next couple of weeks!

Idlehour

Observer
Looks like fun! That mine entrance has some interesting stuff going on with the waterfall the erosion and the boulder.

timh

Explorer
"The return of the Wild Burros"

My mom was coming to town for a few days this past weekend so we were trying to decide on an adventure. My wife an daughter had not seen the burros the 1st time and my Mom liked the idea so a plan was set. Since we had all day I figured why not make a trip out. We got up pretty early and started out in Tortolita Mtns since they are close to home, the plan was to get up to the Picacho Mtns then on to Florence via dirt roads all the way.

1st light in the Tortolita's
IMG_1238.jpg

Sunrise
IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

Owl Head Ranch Rd. looking to the north.
IMG_1248.jpg

Picacho Peak in the distance
IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Caught a shot of this hawk just a split second too late.
IMG_1258.jpg

Snack break
IMG_1261.jpg

The only place that 4x4 was engaged on this trip
IMG_1266.jpg

Saw the Mexican Eagles again, this time they were on the southern edge of the Picacho Mtns.
IMG_1270.jpg

Kiley's 1st driving lesson, the road opened up and went through some large open dirt areas so it was fun to let her try to keep it on the track. I don't think we got over 5mph...:ylsmoke:
IMG_1280.jpg

We spent quite a while driving all over the area I had last seen the burro's. There was sign everywhere of their presence but no burros. After we had given up we started to head north again, low and behold there they were about 100 yards off the side of the road hanging out in the shade. I had done some research on burro's since the last time I saw them and found out that it is not only accepted but encouraged to feed them. Because of this information and their prior friendliness I brought a couple of bags of carrots along with us. I found out that feeding them probably isn't the best idea, they don't have any problem being pushy either and you may soon find yourself surrounded by 20 hungry burros. Even when we dumped all the carrots out and backed away they persisted in following and nudging us. Either way it was fun seeing and interacting with them again. I hope to find them again in the future.
IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

We piled back in the truck, hit the road, and almost immediately spotted this Grey Fox hanging out next to his den. He was kind enough to let us snap a few pics before disappearing into the hole.
IMG_1299.jpg

I gently sat down about 3o yards from his den and patiently waited hoping he would get curious and come back out once it was quiet again. I looked back toward the truck and realized I was being watched.
IMG_1303.jpg

Crossing over the bone dry Gila Canal.
IMG_1304.jpg

One last hawk shot for the day, my wife snapped this while we were moving. I love the eyes.
IMG_1306.jpg

timh

Explorer
Nice! We're going to have to name them.

I was thinking the same thing. I recognized many of them from the last time. The one with the dark face (the one you were leaning on the 1st time) was the pushiest out of all of them. He followed us all the way back from the truck and would nudge our backs as we were walking.

Maybe I should start giving Wild Burro tours...:)

a.mus.ed

Explorer
I hiked up Picacho Peak yesterday, which gave me an incredible view of the exact area you keep finding these guys. I got a nice panorama shot, I'll upload it here when I take the time to get it off my phone.

timh

Explorer
I hiked up Picacho Peak yesterday, which gave me an incredible view of the exact area you keep finding these guys. I got a nice panorama shot, I'll upload it here when I take the time to get it off my phone.

How is that hike, I have never done it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears