Tire Bulge! Danger?

Zam15

Explorer
I currently have four 255/85 R16 BFG KM Tires. One of them has developed a small bulge on the on the sidewall similar to the picture below (but less pronounced). How dangerous is this?
jpeg.jpg

Due to the fact the the KM has been discontinued I believe it will be difficult to find a direct replacement.

What issues, if any, could running two different brands of tires that are the same size cause?

Quill

Adventurer
The belt is giving way. It will start to vibrate. You might be able to warranty it with BFG.

Silver04RS

I had a tire do this a long time ago and drove it for a long time without it getting worse.

I'm not saying its safe cause I'm sure its not... but you should be OK to drive on it for a while. Just put it in the back and treat it like a spare tire

4RunAmok

Explorer
Get BFG to warranty the tire.

This is a separation. Air has found it's way through the stronger layers of the sidewall, and is pushing the weaker rubber. Nick it, and you have a leak you can not patch nor plug.

I would NOT agree this is ok to drive on for much longer, and definitely would not take it off-road.

If you can't get it warrantied, then I would try to replace both L and R tires.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Get BFG to warranty the tire.

This is a separation. Air has found it's way through the stronger layers of the sidewall, and is pushing the weaker rubber. Nick it, and you have a leak you can not patch nor plug.

I would NOT agree this is ok to drive on for much longer, and definitely would not take it off-road.

x2

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
For a small price and shipping I bet I know where you can one or two used BFG MT KMs. How many miles are on you other 3 tires?

Zam15

Explorer
Ok, Thanks.

I looked up BFG's Warranty and it looks like I may be covered. Will most tire shops honor the warranty? Got the tries new online (Thanks Taco Doc) and had them mounted by Big-O. I will try and replace them as soon as I am able. Sounds like I may end up with a new KM 2.

"they will be replaced
with comparable new BFGoodrich® tires for a pro rata charge
based on the actual mileage received."

For a small price and shipping I bet I know where you can one or two used BFG MT KMs. How many miles are on you other 3 tires?

And where would that be? :ylsmoke: Still plenty of life left on all four. Just checked and I currently have 15K on them.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ok, Thanks.

I looked up BFG's Warranty and it looks like I may be covered. Will most tire shops honor the warranty? Got the tries new online (Thanks Taco Doc) and had them mounted by Big-O. I will try and replace them as soon as I am able. Sounds like I may end up with a new KM 2.

"they will be replaced
with comparable new BFGoodrich® tires for a pro rata charge
based on the actual mileage received."

And where would that be? :ylsmoke: Still plenty of life left on all four. Just checked and I currently have 15K on them.

I would take them back to Big O. Since they sell BFG tires they should be able to handle the warranty.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Prob not the smartest thing to do but my frontier has a BFG all terrain and its had a bulge like that for prob a year now. It may eventually die on me but I think Ill keep going with it. I dont want one new tire and 3 old ones so Ill ride it out and replace them all some day.

Mines worst than the one in the picture.

Zam15

Explorer
Prob not the smartest thing to do but my frontier has a BFG all terrain and its had a bulge like that for prob a year now. It may eventually die on me but I think Ill keep going with it. I dont want one new tire and 3 old ones so Ill ride it out and replace them all some day.

Mines worst than the one in the picture.

Sounds dangerous... o_O

After seeing this: Link

I would really not like to risk it... It was even the back tire.

Looks like I found a donor tire, and I think this one has seen even more places than the one it's replacing :ylsmoke: Thanks Doc!

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Good call, I wouldn't risk that either.

About 6 months ago I discovered the same thing happen on my BFG ATs on the Tiger. I had noticed the tire sitting low for some time but every time I checked the pressure it was fine, and couldn't see anything wrong.

Mine was on the inside behind my holding tank plumbing so I couldn't see it easily. Finally someone driving behind me flagged me down and pointed it out. I have no idea how long I drove on it like this, but it was so thin I tripped. Stopped in the middle of a rainstorm and pulled it off, then waited 2 days for the correct replacement before driving home.

tire.jpg

tire2.jpg

tire3.jpg

I did get a $75 credit on the tire from Discount Tires. I thought BFG should replace it under warranty - less than a year old - but didn't want to hang around any longer to duke it out with them. They said it was impact damage from a rock or something, which is possible I guess - no way to prove anything.

4RunAmok

Explorer
We have way too much height from the tread to the wheel to take any risks with our tires at speed on the highway. It's the nature of our high-clearance games, and the equipment we use.

Unless we want 30 inch wheels and 3 inch tires to get to a 33 inch diameter! lol... Not on MY truck! When the tire goes, our rigs will drop that distance, the result is like the LC in the link that Zam posted...

Bottom line...replace the tire.

wandererr

Adventurer
We have way too much height from the tread to the wheel to take any risks with our tires at speed on the highway. It's the nature of our high-clearance games, and the equipment we use.

Unless we want 30 inch wheels and 3 inch tires to get to a 33 inch diameter! lol... Not on MY truck! When the tire goes, our rigs will drop that distance, the result is like the LC in the link that Zam posted...

Bottom line...replace the tire.

I lost a 33" BFG MT on a freeway at 65MPH and all I can say is thank god it was early AM and freeway was empty. Loss of my tire was totally unforseen: piece of loose metal on the road acted as a cookie cutter and punched a big hole in my tire resulting in a rapid loss of pressure and height. Bottom line was it was a wild ride and if there was anyone to my immediate right I would have hit them.

So if you have a known bad tire do others (if not yourself) a favour and get it replaced or don't take the vehicle on the road....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears