Tire Chains on a 06 Tacoma Sport

sargeek

Adventurer
I was using the 70F day to see if the tire chains I have on hand will fit my Tacoma (seems like a better time then on I-70 in a blizzard, trying to pull someone out of the way).

The chains I have are to small, but their also seems to be a clearance issue between the front tires, and the spindle at the point where the sway bar connects. I started with the standard v-bar chains which rubbed on the spindle. I had a set of SAE Type "S" cable chains that would be a tight fit.

I have a 06 Tacoma TRD Sport now running 235/85R16 BFG AT on stock TRD Off Road wheels. It would have been really tight if I had the OEM tires on which are about 1" wider.

Before I invest in a two pairs of new chains, has anyone run chains sucessful run chains on the front of a Tacoma?

buldyourown

Observer
I'm only 2wd so I can't comment on the front, but I have put them on probably 10-12 times w/o issue on the back and I'm running +1 tires.

sargeek

Adventurer
Follow-up

The clearance for the rear wheels appears good, I am concerned about the front wheels.

The owners manual states that chains should be used on all four wheels, but the side links should be 5mm (.2" ) and the cross links should be 6.3mm (.25")

7wt

Expedition Leader
Funny, I bought a set for my 2003 Tacoma on 235's last winter that were too big. I sent them back because I was afraid of the chains ripping off my break lines. Last winter was my first full norther inland winter and it turns out, I didn't need chains at all.

Switch

Observer
I was using the 70F day to see if the tire chains I have on hand will fit my Tacoma (seems like a better time then on I-70 in a blizzard, trying to pull someone out of the way).

The chains I have are to small, but their also seems to be a clearance issue between the front tires, and the spindle at the point where the sway bar connects. I started with the standard v-bar chains which rubbed on the spindle. I had a set of SAE Type "S" cable chains that would be a tight fit.

I have a 06 Tacoma TRD Sport now running 235/85R16 BFG AT on stock TRD Off Road wheels. It would have been really tight if I had the OEM tires on which are about 1" wider.

Before I invest in a two pairs of new chains, has anyone run chains sucessful run chains on the front of a Tacoma?

Read your Toyota manual. No chains on front tires. You will find that they will rub on the the upper control arm.

robert

Expedition Leader
I was looking at them last year and figured I'd need spacers to run them and I'd have to be very careful with how far I turned the wheels. I did see where Thule is now making a cable type chain that should have more clearance and being Thule should be a good product.

sargeek

Adventurer
More

It helps if I read the entire section of the manual on chains. The manual does say "Install chains on the rear tires as tightly as possible. Do no use tire chains on the front tires."

That's kind of lame...

You would think that Toyota would have designed it with a little more clearance.

Its about once every 5 years that I end up running chains. Must of the time they ride in the back of the truck and provide some additional weight for traction.

deadbeat son

Explorer
You can run FJC wheels to gain a bit of offset in order to run chains. It doesn't sound like it would be worth it with how often you use them though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman