Tire conundrum

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I need to choose tires for my small pop up tent trailer.
My daily driver is a 2006 V8 4runner, currently running 265/70/17. No plans to dump money into the 4runner minus maintenance.
Im slowly building a 1985 FJ60, new 285/7516's. 2-3" lift in the near future.
Do I match the fj60 or 4runner wheels?
Matching the FJ60 will impact MPG when towed with both rigs but will look nice and be more functional off road I imagine.
Matching the 4runner will be easier on the pocket book from every angle.
Anything I'm missing? What say the expo community?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
If you are going to the effort to match vehicle and trailer tires, I would base it largely on my considerations for a spare and how you want to be able to share it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Seems to me if you're matching wheels picking the FJ60 makes sense. That sounds like the long term vehicle and the wheels on it will fit the 4Runner and will just stick out a little more. Going the other way, using 2006 4Runner wheels won't work with the FJ60 since older Toyotas need wheels with less backspacing to clear front end parts.

The difference in diameter is a problem, you'd really need them to match on the truck no matter which way you go. I'd probably run cheap or used tires on the trailer now that match the 4Runner until you convert to the FJ60.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Thanks guys.

Both the spare tire from the 4runner and the fj60 will fit the trailer. The wheels on the FJ60 and that will be on the trailer, after I switch the hubs out will be the same, 16" tacoma steelies.
Looking back now I should have gone with 17" steelies for the 60 and the trailer as to also fit the 4runner but thats in the past now. I wasn't planning on getting a trailer when i bought the fj60 wheels and tires, so it wasn't even a consideration.

The diameter of the trailer wheel wont fit the calipers of the 4runner being it has to have 17" wheels to clear the calipers.
Ill keep an eye out on craigslist for a pair of cheap tires in the meantime.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Are you sure Tacoma wheels will fit the FJ60? I thought any IFS wheel would have too much backspacing to clear the calipers on a solid axle? Maybe you have converted to IFS hubs and calipers and that's not the case? Also not all Tacoma wheels are the same, the 16" 1st gen have about 1/2" less spacing than the 2nd gen (which would be the same backspacing as your 4th gen 4Runner, which must have Tundra calipers?).

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Are you sure Tacoma wheels will fit the FJ60? I thought any IFS wheel would have too much backspacing to clear the calipers on a solid axle? Maybe you have converted to IFS hubs and calipers and that's not the case? Also not all Tacoma wheels are the same, the 16" 1st gen have about 1/2" less spacing than the 2nd gen (which would be the same backspacing as your 4th gen 4Runner, which must have Tundra calipers?).

Yeah I was planning on getting the wheels backspacing adjusted by a local shop but a couple MUD members suggested throwing them on to see if they fit. They do fit.
I believe the V8 4runner does share the tundra caliper.

Attachments

• FJ601.jpg
    FJ601.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 8
  • FJ602.jpg
    FJ602.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Tacomawheels.png
    Tacomawheels.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Forum statistics