Tire decision

nismo4x4

Observer
So sometime before winter I am going to replace my stock BFG rugged trails on my frontier. I have narrowed my decision down to either BFG AT KO's (currently on my jeep and I really like em) or the new Goodyear Wrangler authority... Any experience with the wrangler authority? I rarely see really deep mucky mud, mostly gravel, forest trails, occasional mild rock...unfortunately mostly highway use. I just want a good all around tire! Any experiences?

jim65wagon

No experience with the Authoritys. I've seen them, and unloaded them from UPS trucks. They certainly look the business, and if they came in a 255/85 I'd be sorely tempted to try them out.

That being said, the BFG AT's are certainly an excellent, long-wearing tire for on and off-road use. (put 60,000 miles on a set on my Tundra)

The Cooper Discoverer ST would also be an excellent choice(put 50,000 on a set, again on the Tundra) not to give you another choice, but I like them.

alexrex20

Explorer
the Michelin LTX A/T2 is an excellent highway tire, but is also phenomenal off-road (except for sticky mud). i dare venture to say they are as good or better than BFG ATs off road, but are a much better street tire, especially in the rain.

they're priced comparably to the BFG AT.

silentsamurai

Explorer
Sorry for jacking your thread here. But I am going to be buying tires for my truck here in the next week or two. Im running 285/75/r16's but all the stores want like $160+ for those sizes. Im curious if anyone knows how 265.75.r16's look on a 05 frontier w/ PRG spacer lift. Would that be too much gap? These 285's look good but also look big at the same time. any suggestions would be appreciated. Im probably going with Bridgestone Dueler's.

nismo4x4

Observer
I am probably going to go with the BFG's had them for a long time on my Jeep and they are great...

As for the size difference I think articulate is running 265's on his frontier with the PRG setup...

08whitex

Adventurer
I would suggest Bridgestone Dueler's. I love these tires. Quiet on the street, Great in the sand and gravel. These are the tires that come stock on the Hummer H3. I used to be a driving instructer for Hummer and I can tell you from experience these are great tires. I even have them on my Xterra.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I'm thinking that as long as one gets top tier tires, they'll be happy. The difference between the stock Rugged Trails and my BFG AT KOs was amazing when I got off road. Quiet as hell and nothing but great reviews from everyone who uses them. Same with the Duelers, Nittos, and several others. Obviously, some are better suited for specific environments, but as long as you get one that fits yours, you're good to go.

alexrex20

Explorer
just as an FYI, the Nitto Terra Grappler is identical to the Toyo Open Country AT (which gets great reviews). Toyo makes the tires for Nitto. as is typical with Toyo tires, they wear like steel, balance great, and don't get very choppy; and of course, they perform great as well.

the Nittos are significantly cheaper than the Toyo, and they come in all the popular sizes.

silentsamurai, $160/ea is not a bad price for a 32in+ all-terrain tire, if you're going for a name brand. if you're on a really tight budget i'd also suggest TreadWright retreads, from whom you can get 32in MTR, BFG AT, Dueler AT Revo, or Dunlop Rover MT clones for $80/ea, and in 33in for $100/ea. EDIT: they don't list the 32in 265/75-16 MTR retread yet, but i spoke with the owner last week and they should be available in 32in flavor within the month.

at 4WheelOnline, they always have great deals on ATs and MTs. currently, you can get a (32in) 265/75-16 BFG KM2 for $190 or a (33in) 255/85-16 for $170. can't go wrong with a KM2, even as a predominantly highway tire, especially at that price.

Last edited:

alexrex20

Explorer
i live in south texas aka summer year-round, so all my recommendations do not factor in snow/ice driving. :)

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I managed to get in on a Tire Discounters deal. I paid about $200/tire installed but received a discount on that plus a $70 rebate.

Strizzo

Explorer
what about treadwright retreads? i've heard nothing but good things about them, apparently they're very selective on the carcasses they use.

silentsamurai

Explorer
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's - 285/75/R16

I don't know how to say this but I ended up paying $394.00 for just two of them. Even with the buy 1 get the other at 50%. If i were to get the Buy 3, get 1 free it would have ran me $790.00! I don't know if it's me or what, but that is insanely high.

I took it for a stroll around the neighborhood and they felt amazing. Very quiet, not a single problem with gripping the road and tugging the wheel from me. Don't have much to say about their off-road capabilities since i just installed them this morning, but even though they run almost $200 a tire, they are deff. worth it if you can get a descent deal like the buy 3, get 1 free.

Not much of a post but I figured I'd chime in.

Adam

nismo4x4

Observer
well i went with the bfg at's got all 4 of them installed for $760 (as they were on sale with an instant rebate) so far really happy, thanks for the input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger