Tire Options

eyemgh

We're building a rig right now around a 2022 F350 Super Cab. I want to upsize to 35s and have a winter rated tire. I currently run Wildpeak AT3/Ws on our current truck and like them a lot. They come in the size I want, 35 12.5/R17. Two others do though too that seem to get a lot of love, K02 and Toyo Open Country A/T III. Does anyone have experience with one or more of these? Any love? ANy hate? Thanks!

Grassland

I have 34x10.5R17 KO2s on a 14 F150 and while they are good in snow, they are not what I consider good on ice or polished hard pack. For example on a mild incline of polished hard pack and ice from a stop I couldn't get going in 2wd even with a limited slip. The truck just slowly moved sideways with no forward progress.
They also run quite small.
Seeing that I wanted a narrow 33" all terrain tire, I didn't have oodles of choices.

eyemgh

I have 34x10.5R17 KO2s on a 14 F150 and while they are good in snow, they are not what I consider good on ice or polished hard pack. For example on a mild incline of polished hard pack and ice from a stop I couldn't get going in 2wd even with a limited slip. The truck just slowly moved sideways with no forward progress.
They also run quite small.
Seeing that I wanted a narrow 33" all terrain tire, I didn't have oodles of choices.

My Wildpeaks are pretty good in the snow. They're not as good as studded Hakkapeliittas, but I don't think anything is. They're actually better than the dedicated Toyo snow that I tried a few years ago (I think it was call Observe). It was truly bad. Guess K02 can be eliminated. We're in the snow three days a week. Thanks!

Now for some feedback on the Toyo! :)

eyemgh

Heh.. tire opinions

I know it's a bit like asking favorite ice cream flavor. :ROFLMAO: Most haven't tried all three anyway. There's a lot of confirmation bias toward what we already have. That said, knowing that the K02s are pretty week on snow really helps.

Grassland

I should clarify that if it's deeper snow the tires are fine. It's the hard smooth stuff they suck. It also tends to be -20 Celsius here so the rubber is pretty hard and not pliable.
It's enough that is consider a second set of actual winter tires if I drove the truck frequently anymore.

eyemgh

I should clarify that if it's deeper snow the tires are fine. It's the hard smooth stuff they suck. It also tends to be -20 Celsius here so the rubber is pretty hard and not pliable.
It's enough that is consider a second set of actual winter tires if I drove the truck frequently anymore.

That's COLD! My Wildpeaks might have struggled too. In Oregon though we were in the snow in all conditions 3 days a week, and they were fine. We used to always swap out. I'm trying to avoid that, but also realize that nothing that will last 50+K miles will be as good on hard pack and ice as a tire with lots of sipes made from hydrophilic rubber.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had all 3 albeit not all in 35x12.5-17's all are really similar. I live in western Montana so have done a fair amount of winter driving with all of them. Are you married to the 3 peak rating?.. I like my Toyo RT's (second set) better than those 3 especially on a heavier truck.

eyemgh

I have had all 3 albeit not all in 35x12.5-17's all are really similar. I live in western Montana so have done a fair amount of winter driving with all of them. Are you married to the 3 peak rating?.. I like my Toyo RT's (second set) better than those 3 especially on a heavier truck.

The only reason I was excited about the 3 peak, is that there are times when chains are mandated, but not really necessary in CA and OR where you can avoid them if you have snows on. That said, if the RT is better all around, including in the snow, I'm all ears! How is it in the snow or do you swap in the winter?

jadmt

ignore button user
The only reason I was excited about the 3 peak, is that there are times when chains are mandated, but not really necessary in CA and OR where you can avoid them if you have snows on. That said, if the RT is better all around, including in the snow, I'm all ears! How is it in the snow or do you swap in the winter?
I have run them on both my jkr and jkur and now my Power wagon and never had any issues on the snow. They are actually quiet and smooth riding as well. Snow shoeing is my thing in the winter so I drive a lot on snow covered roads. I have made several trips to Moab in dec, Feb and march from Montana and never had any trouble.

Attachments

• 1B209945-161A-4BEF-BE83-2893A129FB21.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 13

eyemgh

Then there's the question of size. I know the width question is controversial in overlanding, but for a F350 with a fulltime camper, would you go 35 12.5/R18 (12.5 wide) or LT28575R18 (11.5 wide). I had to switch to 18 for brake clearance.

tacollie

Glamper
My tire guy is worried that 17s won’t clear the super duty breaks well enough. ?
Some 17s fit. Tire shops don't like them because they have to be careful where they attach the weights.

The 285/75r18 are going to be stiffer as they are typically rated around 4080lbs at 80 psi. Most of the 35x12.5r17 are rated at 3195 at 65psi. The Rts may be the sweet spot for a 35x12.5r18 as they are rated at 3415lbs at 65 psi. We have the 285/75r18 Wildpeak at3w on our truck. They are awesome in the snow in Colorado. I like that they look understated. That's a positive way of saying they look small??. If I had to buy tires today I don't know what I would buy. I'm sure this doesn't help in any way.

GoinBoardin

Observer
I've had both the Falkens and the Toyo's. I thought the Falkens got the nod on ice, and the Toyo's were better in mud. But both were great tires. Toyo's were slightly louder. I liked the confidence of having three ply sidewalls on the Toyo's and would buy again. I've gone back to 15" wheels though, so no availability of them in a size that works.

I'm now running General X3's. They're awesome off road and ride soft, but I miss the on road performance of the AT's (mostly fuel economy and tread squirm).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan