Tire Preference .... need some opinions.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Ok guys I probably am one of the most indecisive people out there. I can never truly make my mind up. For months now I've had a few tires in mind and prices from my buddy's shop which is kind of dealer cost. I can't seem to figure it out and wanted to get a few opinions. I will be doing a lot of city driving in my Savana and highway runs that usually consist of 50 minutes each way. I do not rock crawl or really off road. I might go in a trail here and there , but I shy away from that stuff.

Top of my list in order of want:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/70/17
- every review I've read people have had really good luck despite the sidewalls. They claim easily 40-60k out of them with rotation every 5k ish. They say they are great on the highway too with little to no noise. Can get a set for around $700ish

BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 265/70/17
- another good tire , some say overrated and used to be the best. A lot of people switched to the Duratracs from these , but they are proven good tires. $750-800ish

General Grabber AT2
- I personally have these on my F150. They are ok for the price and do hum on highway pulls. They do trac well and handle well, however I may have put 10 k on them and do constant rotations every oil change and they seem to be wearing funny. Maybe it's just me or it's out of alignment a bit, but this is my last option at about $475/500 a set.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Do you live where it snows? Cant see on Tapatalk.

Given your description I would definitely go with a mild AT....I honestly would look at the Bridgestone Revo 2 or the Michelin LTX AT 2. These are pricey....some cheaper tires but still good Hankook DynaPro ATM, Falken WildPeak AT3, General AT2 which you mentioned and the Cooper AT3. P tires will be the cheapest then C and then E....

dar395

Adventurer
I like the Firestone TransForce 10plys, never had a blow out, great tread, and always seems to be buy 3 get I free and they don't make noise I pay about $500 a set of 4.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Over 150k on 265/75-16 (3 sets, RWD) and only one puncture and never been stuck in anything.
Quiet, stable and a nice ride.
The tire I trust.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I have the Dynapros on a F 150 for work. They wear very well and are well suited for long distance travel. most of my "off road" is in rock quarries and sand pits, I've never had any traction issues but will tell you they do like to flick rocks.

rruff

Explorer
I will be doing a lot of city driving in my Savana and highway runs that usually consist of 50 minutes each way. I do not rock crawl or really off road. I might go in a trail here and there , but I shy away from that stuff.

If you aren't offroading or carrying a big load, get street tires, P rated not LT. They will ride smoother, get better MPG, be cheaper, and have a mileage warranty.

Nitto Dura Grapplers as an example. You have your choice of P or LT in 265/70r17, and the P is only $145. http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nitto/dura-grappler/p/style/36249#sizes

D

Deleted member 96197

Another vote for the Hankook Dynapro ATM, I initially bought them to save some money and replace a set of BFG A/T's on a truck I wasn't keeping, but I was so impressed by them they are by go to A/T ever since, and the price makes them a steal.

jhill15

Explorer
Hankook dynapro atm!!! That's 3 votes! I had them on my jeep and I will be putting them on my Toyota when it comes time for new tires. They are great tires!!!!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
The most I carry is a Jetski or 2 with gear in it. 700/800 lbs full load of 2 and my cart in there. Usually when it's just my ski and cart 500 or less.

d4974b519189f23b3aa9c5a16d0dd8a9.jpg

5e4d8ded35efa21b33ca9d76448e4a5b.jpg

Another local who does the same as me told me to run street tires as well. I've been told the Nitto Terra Grapplers are great tires as well!

I looked up the Hankook Dynapro ATM. $129.00 wow that's cheap !

rruff

Explorer
I looked up the Hankook Dynapro ATM. $129.00 wow that's cheap !

Ya, I'm going to pay big $$$ for ~35" tires on my Tundra. 33s cost half as much! But I keep thinking an extra inch of clearance off road will come in handy.

BTW, I think you want Dura Grapplers, not Terra Grapplers.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
714ca7dd5d52667835a1acaae0fd0ebc.jpg

These were the wheels I decided on.

Do you guys think the Duratracs and BFG's are to much....even though they are only all terrains?

rruff

Explorer
Do you guys think the Duratracs and BFG's are to much....even though they are only all terrains?

I'm amazed that the EPA doesn't test the rolling resistance of tires, considering the large effect it has on MPG. Unfortunately we are left to just guess.

But based on anecdotal reports from others, I'd expect ~10% MPG loss going from a good street P rated tire, to an AT with an LT rating. Plus rougher ride, more noise, more expensive up front.

If you drive 15k miles/yr and get 20 mpg with the P rated tires, vs 18 mpg with the LT tires, you are looking at a difference of 83 gal/yr or about $200/yr in fuel.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Solid Info Rruff!!!! That's not a huge gap what so ever ...... I wouldn't run a LT tire however. I do drive on the beach to surf ride so I park right on the water. I would run regular P tires

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears