Tire pressure Question

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Your welcome. Glad to help, and happy to find someone else that realizes just how loaded such a topic as tire pressures is.

Too many variables and no one-size-fits-all.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Step 1: Measure sidewall height with all of the crap in it that you want at street pressure. You may use either standard or metric measurement (cm or in" unit of measurement seems to work well)

Step 2: Use your math edumacation to calculate 75% of the sidewall height measurement.

Step 3: With your new 75% measurement, begin letting out the air pressure until you reach said 75% measurement.

Step 4: Measure tire pressure at 75% measurement. This is your new "air down" tire pressure.

Step 5: Record it somewhere convenient so you don't forget it, like me.

Step 6: Repeat steps 1-5 for the other axle. Since tire pressures front vs. rear are usually different, a different pressure number is usually needed.

Step 7 (optional): Repeat with tires hot.

So there. It takes a bit of effort, but you'll find the EXACT air down number you need, custom tailored to your vehicle, with your load. And it will be good and glorious, etc.

HouseVVares

I was just in BBNP right before the Thanksgiving holiday. It was our second year camping there and we again had a great time. Last day there we drove from Cottonwood to Rio Grand Village along River Road. I got lazy and didn't air down thinking it was a pretty mild road and when we did get back to pavement, I would not have easy access to a decent compressor to air up again before hitting the highway. Needless to say, made it about 3/4 of the way and managed to get a puncture right in between two tread blocks on a brand new BFG KO. I was able to get a plug into it so we could finish the dirt portion of the drive at least.

At least for Christmas this year I knew to ask for a good compressor to leave in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle