Tire Repair kits & Backwoods repairs

Bravo30

Last night I ran over what looks like a piece of animal bone while out in Creede Colorado. I had a spare tire but before I mounted I took advantage of the situation and got some practice in by trying to plug the hole with 2 plugs. That didn’t work but I feel like it might have worked temporarily with 3-4 plugs.

I have an ARB tire repair kit but I’m looking for other options for larger repairs while in the back country. Are there any products similar to a rubber weld available for tires ? What’s your go to method for large repairs?

Thanks, Brad

Attachments

• IMG_5698.jpeg
    IMG_5698.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5760.jpeg
    IMG_5760.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5761.jpeg
    IMG_5761.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 33

Steadfast Rocky

Last night I ran over what looks like a piece of animal bone while out in Creede Colorado. I had a spare tire but before I mounted I took advantage of the situation and got some practice in by trying to plug the hole with 2 plugs. That didn’t work but I feel like it might have worked temporarily with 3-4 plugs.

I have an ARB tire repair kit but I’m looking for other options for larger repairs while in the back country. Are there any products similar to a rubber weld available for tires ? What’s your go to method for large repairs?

Thanks, Brad
An interior patch really is the only way to fix that. However we have good experiences with the GlueTread products. It wouldn't solve that problem exactly but defiantly offers some capabilities to repair side wall damage on the trail.

I do wonder in a pinch if you could use 3-4 plugs, some slime in the tire and limp it out. That tire at least in my experience would be turned away for a patch at the tire shops I have spent time at.

Bravo30

An interior patch really is the only way to fix that. However we have good experiences with the GlueTread products. It wouldn't solve that problem exactly but defiantly offers some capabilities to repair side wall damage on the trail.

I do wonder in a pinch if you could use 3-4 plugs, some slime in the tire and limp it out. That tire at least in my experience would be turned away for a patch at the tire shops I have spent time at.

It was able to begin to inflate but had a steady leak with 2 plugs so 4 would have had a decent shot of at least getting me back to asphalt. I would have liked to test 4 plugs but we had to get going so I mounted the spare

Interior patch as in a hot patch with glue and a torch?

Steadfast Rocky

It was able to begin to inflate but had a steady leak with 2 plugs so 4 would have had a decent shot of at least getting me back to asphalt. I would have liked to test 4 plugs but we had to get going so I mounted the spare

Interior patch as in a hot patch with glue and a torch?
Yeah an interior patch with glue and a torch. I have been told that with in an inch of the sidewall its difficult to get the patch to last.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
For me, a 'Bead Buster' was a game changer for field tire repairs.

91AKpqLTrTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It is the only reliable solution I have found for de-beading a tire in the field. Yes, you can 'try' to do it with your jack or whatever, but I just find that super cumbersome and dangerous.....more of a parlor trick. The BeadBuster is small enough it can fit right in your tire kit and all it takes is a wrench to activate ( though it will go faster with an mid-side impact. They make a few different versions, but I find the 455 is a good compromise in size, cost, and quality. On very large thick tires you can double stroke the foot with a small block of material if needed.

Handy details-

-It doesn't require you to drop the vehicle you likely already have jacked up with your jack to try and break the bead with the same jack.
-It doesn't require you to have a counter weight ( likely the vehicle you just pulled the tire off and just had to set back down on the ground )
-You can debead the outer bead (with the wheel bolted on the vehicle) to fix a valve stem or clean out debris that has gotten forced into the bead causing leaks
-You can debead the inner bead in many cases ( like with beadlocks ) to repair or replace a tire on the vehicle.
(often times, bar work is easier with the wheel still firmly bolted to something)
-With a few medium length bars, it makes it possible to totally dismount and swap tires on rims for more involved repairs or if you need to make a new spare tire combination for someone because of height/rim/bolt pattern issues.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer

View attachment 787148

It is the only reliable solution I have found for de-beading a tire in the field. Yes, you can 'try' to do it with your jack or whatever, but I just find that super cumbersome and dangerous.....more of a parlor trick. The BeadBuster is small enough it can fit right in your tire kit and all it takes is a wrench to activate ( though it will go faster with an mid-side impact. They make a few different versions, but I find the 455 is a good compromise in size, cost, and quality. On very large thick tires you can double stroke the foot with a small block of material if needed.

Handy details-

-It doesn't require you to drop the vehicle you likely already have jacked up with your jack to try and break the bead with the same jack.
-It doesn't require you to have a counter weight ( likely the vehicle you just pulled the tire off and just had to set back down on the ground )
-You can debead the outer bead (with the wheel bolted on the vehicle) to fix a valve stem or clean out debris that has gotten forced into the bead causing leaks
-You can debead the inner bead in many cases ( like with beadlocks ) to repair or replace a tire on the vehicle.
(often times, bar work is easier with the wheel still firmly bolted to something)
-With a few medium length bars, it makes it possible to totally dismount and swap tires on rims for more involved repairs or if you need to make a new spare tire combination for someone because of height/rim/bolt pattern issues.
That was an awesome tool to look up. Something makes me think I won’t be able
to avoid that one for long… it is calling me from my subconscious now!

Steadfast Rocky

View attachment 787148

Handy details-

Neat, didn't know those were a thing. I have tried the jack trick (not on trail) to fix some rock rash that had started tearing up the tire. Didn't work worth a crap and ended up just fixing it during a routine seasonal swap. I will probably grab one of these. BTW we grab some of you hitch thimbles. Love em.

dstefan

Thanks, Brad

This is a great kit:

dstefan

I recently had only my 2nd offroad flat which I repaired with a plug (not easily, I might add. Load E tires are a lot tougher to ream and plug than the load C’s I’ve done before).

When I got back, I went to Discount Tire where I bought the tires (Cooper XLT AT3s) thinking they could demount the tire and do a good vulcanized patch job from the inside and I’d be good to go. They did not want to do that. Said that once plugged (it was through the tread and just a nail, so nice small hole) that the the plug hole would allow moisture in and I’d get deterioration of the tread. Said if I hadn’t plugged it and had put the spare on they could have repaired the tire.

Since I had the hazard warranty and a brand new spare, I spent the $60 for a new tire paired with the spare, but it left me wondering if that was just bunk to get me to buy a new tire? Didn’t seem like they made any more money off me that way though. 🤔

Anybody know if this is true or not?

Alloy

I recently had only my 2nd offroad flat which I repaired with a plug (not easily, I might add. Load E tires are a lot tougher to ream and plug than the load C’s I’ve done before).

When I got back, I went to Discount Tire where I bought the tires (Cooper XLT AT3s) thinking they could demount the tire and do a good vulcanized patch job from the inside and I’d be good to go. They did not want to do that. Said that once plugged (it was through the tread and just a nail, so nice small hole) that the the plug hole would allow moisture in and I’d get deterioration of the tread. Said if I hadn’t plugged it and had put the spare on they could have repaired the tire.

Since I had the hazard warranty and a brand new spare, I spent the $60 for a new tire paired with the spare, but it left me wondering if that was just BS to get me to buy a new tire? Didn’t seem like they made any more money off me that way though. 🤔

Anybody know if this is BS or not?

I've plugged an 18 ply steel belt tire and took it in to get a patch installed. They redid the plug and patched the inside. When I asked about the steel belts rusting they shrugged (telling me the warranty was 5' - 5 seconds) their shoulders and said that's why they redid the plug.

NatersXJ6

Explorer

Since I had the hazard warranty and a brand new spare, I spent the $60 for a new tire paired with the spare, but it left me wondering if that was just bunk to get me to buy a new tire? Didn’t seem like they made any more money off me that way though. 🤔

Anybody know if this is true or not?

Big corporations are far more likely to be run by lawyers than engineers. “your tread will deteriorate” is just like saying “we can’t tell exactly when your brakes will fail but they aren’t new anymore”.

I would guess that most independent shops would re-do the plug, patch the inside, recommend the patched tire becomes your spare, and hope you remember them when you are ready for a new set.

Because I’ve chosen to run wheel adapters, I’m pretty well restricted from big chain tire shops. As soon as they take off a wheel they refuse to work on it. I love it when high school kids try to explain safety and engineering to me through their memory of their lawyer’s PowerPoint slides. Independent shops usually don’t bat an eye, and tend to do better work in my opinion.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
There was a guy (instructor) at the North West and BC overland rally the last couple years. Forgot his name…. But he was selling tire repair kits that he put together himself. Was about $100. A couple weeks ago I used it for the first time. Was I ever glad to have it with me! The plugs and everything in the kit worked amazingly. I now understand why the cheap kits must be garbage…. His kit includes, plugs, patches, thread/needle for sidewall repair, replacement valves and even stuff to clean your hands after. If anyone know the name of him please post here!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior