Tire Repair kits & Backwoods repairs

Steadfast Rocky

I recently had only my 2nd offroad flat which I repaired with a plug (not easily, I might add. Load E tires are a lot tougher to ream and plug than the load C’s I’ve done before).

When I got back, I went to Discount Tire where I bought the tires (Cooper XLT AT3s) thinking they could demount the tire and do a good vulcanized patch job from the inside and I’d be good to go. They did not want to do that. Said that once plugged (it was through the tread and just a nail, so nice small hole) that the the plug hole would allow moisture in and I’d get deterioration of the tread. Said if I hadn’t plugged it and had put the spare on they could have repaired the tire.

Since I had the hazard warranty and a brand new spare, I spent the $60 for a new tire paired with the spare, but it left me wondering if that was just bunk to get me to buy a new tire? Didn’t seem like they made any more money off me that way though. 🤔

Anybody know if this is true or not?
Discount Tire is one of if not the most risk adverse tire store. They wouldn't patch a tire that had a slash in the valley groove, not plugged plenty of tire life, and not a garbage tire either. Local shop fixed it right up.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I do know a guy who stuffed a torn sidewall tire full of towels, sleeping bags, and laundry, then sewed it up with steel fishing leader using pliers and limped back to pavement. This was long before the days of cell phones, back when nothing cool happened if you remembered to bring a camera. 235’s were the thing, 31s were big tires! Apparently you can pack enough clothing into a small truck tire to get a bit of floatation and make it back, but you’ll not wash out that rubber crud from your clothes anytime soon!

Punctured a Cooper Discover AT3 on my Tacoma a few years ago down by the Alvord Playa. Went to swap on the spare for the drive out and couldn't get the wheel off due to deformed lug nuts (factory Tacoma lug nuts are covered in a softer exterior metal.)

My buddy carried a tire plug kit (ARB brand I think) in his LJ73 and we used like ten plugs to sufficiently fill the hole in the tread of this C rated tire. Stopped every so often to check tire pressure and add air as needed to get up to Pendleton. Next morning before heading to a tire shop for a repair checked the tire and the air pressure had only dropped like 10 PSI over night so added 15 PSI and hit the interstate.

Since my existing spare tire was a different size and brand than the Coopers I ordered a replacement once back in Seattle and had the shop patch the damaged tire as the new spare.

So I now carry a good quality tire plug kit and lots of plugs (and an air compressor) in all my off-road vehicles.

HWY395ghost

A catastrophic large sidewall puncture is one of my greatest concerns.
Check out a YouTube by sixtyfiveford. It's titled "Tire Sidewall Puncture permanent repair"
I've purchased all the recommended supplies, however have not actually tried; intend to try a practice repair in the near future.

rnArmy

Adventurer
There was a guy (instructor) at the North West and BC overland rally the last couple years. Forgot his name…. But he was selling tire repair kits that he put together himself. Was about $100. A couple weeks ago I used it for the first time. Was I ever glad to have it with me! The plugs and everything in the kit worked amazingly. I now understand why the cheap kits must be garbage…. His kit includes, plugs, patches, thread/needle for sidewall repair, replacement valves and even stuff to clean your hands after. If anyone know the name of him please post here!!!
I've taken his class at least twice at the overland rallys. He is awesome. Driving me crazy I can't remember his name. I sent an email to the person who runs the overland rallies (it was Ray, but I don't know if he's still running them or not) to ask for his name (and website).

And don't forget to get both tire irons along with the kit!

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I thought I would throw out some field practical use of a tire repair kit....

On a recent 750+ mile long Colorado BDR ( Backcountry Discovery Route ) trip, I had something go through the inside edge of one of the tires. This happened sometime during day 1 or early on day 2 ( of 5 days on the trail). We where doing about 150 miles of dirt a day across Colorado from south to north. The tire was at 12psi when the 'injury' happened. It wasn't a fast leak. Something sharp and thin had gone into the tire, but didn't stay in the tire.

signal-2023-09-06-141045_002.jpeg

Finding the hole was actually reasonably difficult as it wouldn't leak much air unless it was on the 'bottom' per say. It ended up being easiest to drive the vehicle through a big puddle with a few friends watching for bubbles. With the hole on the bottom in the puddle, the leak showed right up. Even though it didn't work great, I still think having a small spray bottle of soapy water is very handy when looking for issues. I have a half gallon week sprayer that I carry for washing off windows, dishes, hands, cooling off your friends overheating clutch slave cylinder, etc.

signal-2023-09-06-141310_002.jpeg

Once identified, I decided to try a plug as the hole was pretty small. A single plug went in quick and easy with the tools in the kit. I have onboard air also, so airing up the tire was easy. If this didn't work, I do have a lot of other tire repair gear and as a last resort I do carry a spare 'tire' ( only the tire ) in the bed of the #LX45 with gear packed inside to save space. I am of the opinion that with large tires, the space of a full size spare tire ( and wheel combo ) is just too much to give up. The storage space INSIDE a 40" tire is massive, especially on a smaller vehicle.

Since the trip was basically 750 miles of dirt road from the 4-corners area to the Wyoming border, it gave me plenty of time to test the integrity of the fix. The impressive part to me is that this tire easily went 500+ miles at 12psi on dirt and up to 28psi on one or two pavement sections.

My last 'tip' for this situation, it would be nice to be able to easily 'spot' a tire leak like this before it becomes a bigger issue. I'm pretty sure this tire did many miles in the 3-5psi range before I noticed that I had an issue. I think an OEM, or aftermarket, TPMS system is worth looking into for this. How that system is monitored and displayed is the question. I don't want the system blaring at me for a week that there is already an issue because the tires have been at 12psi for 300 miles already, but it would be nice if it was easy to scan the system to have it point out a real issue before it is too late. In my opinion that could be a VERY large pressure window though.

I hope that this helps give people some confidence that 'repairs' are a viable alternative to replacement, even on long distance trips!

Panulhos

When I'm in the backcountry, I rely on a combination of methods for larger tire repairs. Along with a traditional repair kits for vehicle, I also carry a tire patch kit, which allows for more extensive repairs. I've found that having a small portable air compressor is essential for re-inflating the tire after repairs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior