Tire setup for winter adventure LR3

jckstein

Observer
I would ask the opposite; find someone who has experienced a tire failure ONLY because they were running a non load range E tire on D3/4. While the theory of it makes sense, I have yet to have any issues or see anyone in any of my off road experiences have issues. I haven't seen many, if any, mentioning tire failures from p rated tires on the forums either.

True, its a good POV to look from, but I also dont see many running P rated Duratracs in the first place, so its a tricky study.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I would ask the opposite; find someone who has experienced a tire failure ONLY because they were running a non load range E tire on D3/4. While the theory of it makes sense, I have yet to have any issues or see anyone in any of my off road experiences have issues. I haven't seen many, if any, mentioning tire failures from p rated tires on the forums either.

As the 25th anniversary Great Divide Expedition found - "Other than some flat tires and scuffed wheels, we had no mechanical issues"

They were probably running stock 19/20" wheels with P-metric rated tires. LR doesn't modify from stock for this marketing effort.

axels

Adventurer
Thanks Eniam17. I believe that P rated tires are just fine. In the end, what matters is tire placement.

Jwestpro

Explorer
No, I don't think you can say a blanket statement like that because in some circumstances where a "regular" driver may find themselves, P is not simply "fine". Nor are they necessarily "fine" on roadways depending on the conditions. I think XL is the very minimum that should be used on this vehicle even in 100% stock form. More flexible sidewalls will deform too easily. In my experience it is the sidewall where you gain the most in the XL versions. Even my BMW wagon, with 18's, is heavy enough to show the difference between strong sidewall and too flexible.

There's even a difference between a fully loaded up stock lr3, say 7 people and some crap in a basic roof mounted cargo box, like family or friends road trip. You begin to push the limits on the lower rated tires. Why get anywhere near the limits? Why not have a little safety margin for the odd moose dodge or ditch run?

Some tires are definitely better than others even within the same general category. I would expect that XL are what come on new Land Rovers, or not? Who has some, let's hear it?

Anyway, yes, tire placement matters, as in not placing it on anything more rugged than a forest road ;) No, seriously, it points to the whole reason as to why not just create a little more safety margin for situations where a more durable sidewall will be the difference between 100% attention to this or that rock vs looking at the landscape more ;)

jckstein

Observer
So right now I think my plan is that I will throwing a set of 255/60R18 Blizzaks on the car to hold me off until the BFG KO2's come out in April. At that point i'll swap over to those, and probably try to sell the Blizzaks if they're still in good enough condition.

My only concern is their speed rating of R (106mph). I will be driving the LR cross country from Denver to Maine just after christmas, and i'm scared that if i'm cruising at 80mph, i'm quite close to that speed limit. Any thoughts?

Just remembered that I could also go for a Hakka in a slightly bigger size like 255/65R18 too, just for that added stylistic part. Its still XL rated with a speed rating of R so my road trip question remains.

Thanks

Jwestpro

Explorer
Just keep in mind cost of buying 5 for larger to have a usable spare vs only really needing 4 if you stay stock size. I never travel without a matching full size spare but then I have only needed the spare a few times in 400,000 miles.

Well, not so much the cost but remembering to get 5 if you go with larger size. For some people the cost does start to make less sense when you also then need to buy the wheel $250-$500 depending on which one, and ideally another tie pressure sensor $100.

Arto Holappa

During the winter here in Finland i use Continental Contiicecontact studded tyers for the last three winters on my Discovery 2 and are still going strong.I use them in deep snow covered back roads and are very good in all types of winter conditions here,very pleased with them.During summer i use Bfg At's.

axels

Adventurer
First drive on snow and ice today with the DuraTracs. They perform pretty much as a dedicated winter tire on snow and are about 85/90% percent of a dedicated hardcore winter tire on ice. Really happy with them!

jckstein

Observer
Well, here I am still bouncing all over the places with my decisions. It kind of just hit me that I should honestly just bite the bullet and go for a BFG TA KO in 265/65R18. It really ticks all the boxes, and I can't even remember why I threw it out in the first place. LT rated 265/65 is a perfect side. Snowflake rated. Good reviews in light/deep snow. Good looking. Honestly confused with myself why I forgot about them...

I wasnt able to find the Hakka R2 in the slightly taller 255/65R18 size, and i'm honestly a little unenthused with the prospect of just running a stock size winter tire. Superficial perhaps, but what can ya say.

But yea! would love to hear some positive enforcement on the BFG, especially on snowy roads. I recall reading one bad review on tirerack, but in all honestly there are plenty of people on there being extremely dramatic and trying to stir things up. Percentage and statistic wise, the winter performance seems to be very pleasing.

Jim, i know youre running these, but I think I never actually got around to asking if you experienced them in winter conditions. Would love to hear some feedback.

All in all, i wish there were just more options. Its really unfortunate to basically be limited to LT265/65, which basically means the BFG TA KO. I see so many people running 275/65R18 with no 'issues', and honestly i'm partly still inclined to just make that work. It all works great until it goes wrong, and i'm pretty scared about the idea of the car going to bump stops and leaving me immobile. Seen mixed opinion, but it seems 32" tires leave ya stranded..

Thanks for all this help thus far guys. I know i've been all over the place, but I guess I just like to be thorough..

Justin

EDIT: It seems BFG has pulled the snowflake rating on the TA KO...

Last edited:

umbertob

Adventurer
As far as I know, the original BFG T/A KO has never been snowflake rated... It may have been M+S rated, like the majority of other A/Ts out there. I have never owned one so I can't comment, but I don't remember the T/A KO being hailed as a great winter (or mud) tire. The new one - if it's even out yet - is definitely marketed as a winter tire.

jckstein

Observer
Tirerack does say that the original TA KO is (or was) snowflake approved in certain sizes, but the BFG website has dropped that from the overview page. The KO2 is indeed snowflake rated and heavily marketed as being great in the snow. Only problem is the sizing for that..

Eniam17

Adventurer
Okay, haha that was the feeling I was starting to get after more research.

Guess its down to winter tires or sacking up and committing to 32"

I still think you shouldn't let people scare you away from a good at tire. I have driven around pretty much every condition in Maine on and off-road in all four seasons over the years on primarily A/T tires and guess what, I lived to tell the story! People saying things like "this brand is worthless" is going to cause you to rule out every all terrain because none of them are as good as dedicated winter tires in deep snow and ice. I have had BFG a/t, procomp a/t, grabber at 2's, Toyo open country a/t 1 and now 2, Bridgestone dueler a/t, and others on many different kinds of vehicles some rover and some non rover, and at the end of the day they all did what they needed to do.

In slick deep mud were the A/T's as good as my mtr kevlars? No. In 14" of snow were the grabber a/t 2 as good as a dedicated snow tire? No. But they are good for all around stuff. I have seen a stock lr3 with a good driver go through some incredible stuff on 265/65 firestone destination A//T's..... Which aren't even a very aggressive A/t.

I think deep down you know you won't be happy with a stock size tire, it's ok want a more aggressive / larger look , it's a rover after all:). I hated the stance of my lr3 stock but with 40mm of lift and the 265/65 fairly aggressive A/T love it and so do a lot of other people.

So don't let yourself be scared away from a good A/T. The 265/65 BFg AT is an awesome all around tire compared to many other A/T's. It's not a snow tire and it's not a mud tire but it's still good all around.

I can tell by your posts you want something bigger than stock ideally and I think you are on the right track there, don't let Internet forum reviews steer you away from your gut feeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior