Tire thoughts...thinking out loud

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Instead of the maxx may I suggest the cooper discover M&S for a winter tire. I have used them for years and are a very good winter tire studded or not they provide great traction.

I love the cooper m&s, but I don't think they have the size I want

kojackJKU

I always ran true snow tires. I saw that toyo has 285s. I am wondering about those. I have toyos on my car and they are the best snow tire I have ever used. I may run them instead. But then I have to run my spacers again. dunno.

The maxx are not a true snow. Just because a tire can be studded doesn't make it a true snow.
I always ran true snow tires. I saw that toyo has 285s. I am wondering about those. I have toyos on my car and they are the best snow tire I have ever used. I may run them instead. But then I have to run my spacers again. dunno.

kojackJKU

I know that. I am very well versed in tires, and auto'dom in general. I want to get a tire that is close to the size of my 285s but narrow for winter. but it's hard to come by.

Didn't say you don't know tires (sorry if you took it that way), just said the maxx aren't a true snow. What size rims? Because 285 isn't a size. I have 285's on my 2011 f250 and their a 35" tire. But on my cruiser I have 255's their a 33.4" tire. One's a 18" rim and other a 16. If your running 16" rims run the 235's not losing all that much clearance, but gaining a boat load of traction. I do know that with the toyos on my cruiser if I went 285/75/16 they would be right around 33" but with the 255/85/16 they are 33.4. I only say any of that because after having ran true snows in winter last 11 years (always thought I had good traction before that) I like nothing else in the winter. I wish I could get a skinny tire for my truck am running 275/65/18 yuck.
I know that. I am very well versed in tires, and auto'dom in general. I want to get a tire that is close to the size of my 285s but narrow for winter. but it's hard to come by.

kojackJKU

I have only run dedicated winters since I was 17. I am going to have to use 265s. I am running 17" rims. so 285/70/17 tires in the summer, and 265/70/17 in the winter.

I was trying to go skinnier but I could not find anything I liked. So I am going to go with the avalanche winter radial. I have them on my avalanche and they are very very good.

Yup gotta hate these big rims just don't give you many tire choices.
I have only run dedicated winters since I was 17. I am going to have to use 265s. I am running 17" rims. so 285/70/17 tires in the summer, and 265/70/17 in the winter.

I was trying to go skinnier but I could not find anything I liked. So I am going to go with the avalanche winter radial. I have them on my avalanche and they are very very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater