Tired of spilling gas while filling generators. Transfer pump or???

hour

Observer
This one saved us during the great freeze of February 2021.
five gallon jugs are too heavy! Only 7.99$
https://www.harborfreight.com/batte...MIp-C84pP78wIVt_bjBx12TQAEEAQYByABEgJoVvD_BwE

Assuming you don't have any U-shaped traps in the line or anything, does all the fuel in the unit and hose drain out of the bottom of the pickup tube when you turn it off? This would be sweet for transferring diesel to my heater in operation (reasonably safe with the layout of my unit), but if even a half a cup of diesel comes out later when it's stored in the back of my truck... I'll smell it for eternity.

basicfish

Observer
it does drain out, but there is some residual fuel left. but not very much it seems to evaporate in a few minutes. I was using gas for the generator, diesel may not go away as fast.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Well... I haven' looked into your specific generator, but if its up your alley, I would suggest a conversion to propane if it suits you. No gasoline, cleaner burning, long runtime on a BBQ tank. If your near to maxing out your generator's output be careful though, as it will produce a bit less power with the slightly reduced HP available from propane. I have a dual fuel setup now, and I have only put gas in it twice. My 2k watt generator will run for the better part of 30 hours on a single tank with light loads. Just a thought. Other than that, there are a lot of good ideas here, but one more might be a graduated funnel with on off valve. They are handy.

2Hut8

I run a Honda EU2000i and EU2200i. Both have an internal fuel pump. So by swapping the fuel cap with a pass-thru cap they can siphon fuel from an external tank without the tank being elevated. For a tank I bought a handful of Wavian NATO Fuel cans and a cap with a pickup tube in it. So starting with a full tank in the Honda, as the Honda runs, it replaces the fuel in the internal tank with fuel from the external tank. Then when the external tank runs dry, I replace it with a full one while the generator is still running from the one gallon in the internal tank. When Swapping the tank I might drip a bit as I move the pickup tube from one can to the other but that is about it. When I shut down the operation I take the cap off the Honda and elevate the hose to drain the fuel in the line back into the Nato can.

Capture.PNG

The fuel can in the pick is a GELG but I would advise sticking with Wavian. They are better cans.

Edit: To be clear, I never have to start a siphon. The fuel pump in the Honda does that for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78