Tires and susprension help for Nissan Frontier Pro-4X w/FWC Finch

mendoteach

Hello all. New poster here, but I did poke around and sign up when I bought my Nissan Pro-4X and found valuable bits. This forum seems like it has some individuals of sound judgement, so I thought I would ask here. Short story, I do lots of adventure riding on my highly tweaked XR650L in the forests out west. This is done with my buddies and we have a ball. Now, my wife and seven year-old want in on the adventure action (we do back pack together). My wife wants to buy a Four Wheel Camper, Finch model, for our 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X w/ a manual tranny. I understand that I need to do some suspension work, and some sort of air bags seems to be the ticket. I also think the stock tires might not be up to the task (15,000 mi.). I would appreciated any input anybody has in what direction to take in these areas. All other suggestions to make this safe and enjoyable would be much appreciated as well. Only mods thus far are a short shifter and a TWM heavy shift knob (what a difference!) Thanks so much in advance!

Tappet

Observer
A few ways to go on the lift. Problem is with these trucks is there not to much down travel on the front suspension. No good going to far as there is not much point if off roading if your going to be hanging front wheels in the air. To me a modest 2 inch lift is the go, you can keep the standard UCAs, saves dollars and does not put any real strain on the ball joints. Two ways to achieve that, go for a raised spring or an Adjustable strut with adjustable lower spring bucket.

Although air bags have some good points, I would really avoid fitting air bags. These trucks that have been fitted with air bags do have a record of bending chassis. Especially if towing. The best bet would be go for a more heavier rated rear leaves. How much will depend on your load that you intend to carry.

Check this out- http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Barry_Mundi/navara2.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/...38118_100000091557409_1405839_303264446_n.jpg

As for the tires, there is a great choice. Something 10ply in a A/T or M/T would be the go. With a bit of a lift, 32s are possible. For me I wouldn't go bigger anyway. Starts have an effect on Acceleration, braking performance and fuel consumption.

2011 4x4 D40 Navara Turbo Diesel 6Sp. King Cab.

Last edited:

mendoteach

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I very much appreciate your input regarding suspension, especially as it differs from what I have heard from many (go airbags). The reason I was leaning towards airbags is that I won't have the camper on all the time. If I go the leaf spring route, I am stuck with an overly stiff truck once the camper is off.

Interesting about the frame problems. One of the reasons I purchased this truck over a Tacoma is what appeared to be a much stouter frame. Do the Tacomas not have this problem with airbags?

Tappet

Observer
I can't comment on the Tacoma I have little knowledge of this vehicle as it's not sold here. Have heard of similar vehicles here (Australia) in particular the Mitsubishi doing the same thing. If anything the Toyota Hilux (sold here) different to Tacoma seems to be less susceptible than others in this class. But the Hilux is very stout, even more so that the D40 Nissan. Air bags maybe ok but beware, in the dual cab vehicles most of the load is after the rear axle and an air bag provides a pivot point. Perhaps a combination or more slightly higher rated springs and modest pressure in the airbags could be viable alternative.

mendoteach

Good advice. I don't plan on hauling pulling too heavy, a small aluminum boat and a motorcycle trailer. Neither have much tongue weight. Hopefully, a combination of the two work well for me. Again, thanks for the input.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
On my 1st gen Frontier I went the OME heavy route with 10ply e rated AT tires. Yes it drives like a truck of yesterday, but I got used to a hard ride years ago in fast cars. I've never been a fan of airbags, maybe technology is better now.

BTW you are not going to be doing any extreme off-roading where you lift the front tires off the ground with a 4wheel camper on the back, but if you do please post pictures.

mendoteach

Co-opski you're correct. I am likely to keep all four down. However, I am unlikely to get pictures unless my wife gets out because things look too hairy:Wow1: Are 10 ply ATs the with an E load ratings about as heavy tires get for a truck this size?

Tappet, I spoke with the engineer of Boss Suspension (a fellow Aussie and a seller and designer of air bags) and he said the failures he's seen are attributed to two things, one the American D40 is different than the Oz version and the that all the failures he's seen (Nissan and otherwise) were from gross overloading (exceeding vehicle specs.) on the tongue. Nonetheless, I am going to go your route, and use both. I think it will work well for my needs.

Allof75

Pathfinder
My father's Ram has airbags on the rear, and we have had zero issues with them. Daystar makes cradles which effectively disconnect the airbag from the suspension when under extreme flex. I have not heard of any frame bending with them (your year is on the titan frame iirc) but then again I am no expert on 2nd gen frontys. So proceed with caution.

As far as overload leaf springs (I would say a better route), look into OME. They ought to give you a cadillac ride with that load in the back, are relatively inexpensive, and made impeccably well. I have their springs in my pathy, and love them.

Cheers, and when you get the chance, stop on over to the Nissan section of the forum. The people over there may give you more specific answers. :)

mendoteach

That is good feedback. I looked into the OME leaf springs and I can't seem to find them for my rig. I'll head over to the Nissan section soon. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior