Tires?? BFG AT'S OR MT KM2

thecriscokid

Explorer
I am currently running a 285/75/16 BFG AT's on my Tundra. I bought the truck w/ the tires and they were on stock toyota wheels, now I have transferred them onto Wheelers steel wheels. The tires have definite uneven wear and I am hoping that the 8" wide rim may help them wear a bit more evenly. None the less I will be soon mounting some 285/75 Yokohama IT 72 snow tires for the winter and come April will be needing new summer tires. I notice that a lot of guys here are running Mud Terrains and I am curious about the actual off-road differences. My trips are usually leaving from muddy Colorado through Moab and ending up in Cali. All my big trips have always been in my '85 VW Vanagon with big Cooper AT's and for obvious reasons My leather appointed Tundra is getting built. Actual wheeling is now fun and not mandatory and scary. Insight from those who have run both of the BFG's would be great

toyota_jon

Adventurer
i have run BFG AT's, GY MT/R's and i'm now running interco's trxus MT's. i thought the AT's are a great tire, i really strongly recommend them, they do great in everything except for deep mud. good road manners, and most people get many many miles out of them. in contrast my MT/R's were the worst tire i have ever run. I would slide on dry pavement. and my buddy who run's the BFG MT's on his discovery slides as soon as the road gets at all slippery. Right now i am running the Trxus Mt's which i am very happy with they seam to be a great compromise between the MT and AT they have good road manners and are excellent off road. i think one of the biggest reasons why they do so well is the siping. the only downside to them is they are a soft compound tire so they will wear more quickly. but since i have such a light truck anyways it's not a big concern for me. so bottom line is if you see a good amount of hwy get the AT's they'll do well for you.

motomech

Adventurer
I have the km2's and i love them...way different size 37/12.50.17
but good road manners and killer offroad...you just have to rotate them every 3-5k miles or they can get loud

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Here in oregon it's noce to have a set of Muds because it's damn wet and always muddy, but honestly I almost always run my AT's. I'm not even running the BFG's which I hear are about the BEST "AT" treaded tire out there, but I'm amazed at what my knock off AT's are really capable of. I don't know if you're truck is your DD or a dedicated trail truck, but as alot of people have said since my truck is my DD and generaly sees alot more road miles than dirt (a real shame might add) I'll be going with AT's when i tget new tires (probably the BFG's to boot).

toyota_jon said:
i have run BFG AT's, GY MT/R's and i'm now running interco's trxus MT's. i thought the AT's are a great tire, i really strongly recommend them, they do great in everything except for deep mud. good road manners, and most people get many many miles out of them. in contrast my MT/R's were the worst tire i have ever run. I would slide on dry pavement. and my buddy who run's the BFG MT's on his discovery slides as soon as the road gets at all slippery. Right now i am running the Trxus Mt's which i am very happy with they seam to be a great compromise between the MT and AT they have good road manners and are excellent off road. i think one of the biggest reasons why they do so well is the siping. the only downside to them is they are a soft compound tire so they will wear more quickly. but since i have such a light truck anyways it's not a big concern for me. so bottom line is if you see a good amount of hwy get the AT's they'll do well for you.
jon there is nothing lightweight about our trucks. They may not be f550's but they're heavy little buggers ;)

Last edited:

toyota_jon

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
jon there is nothing lightweight about our trucks. They may not be f550's but they're heavy little buggers ;)

LOL i guess when you wheel mostly with rovers you're always referred to as the little yota :elkgrin:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Tyres...

Got a fun bit of driving today on my BFG AT's . After a trail bike ride (Nomad) my Tundra got some fun too. I must give the AT's some serious credit in the "moist clay" . as the hills got a dusting of snow the other night...
I parked mid-ride and at the bottom of some 4x trails that lead to the singletrack.I have often looked at these trails while riding (and owning a vanagon) but until I got my truck I just daydreamed while climbing about driving these trails.

I was seeing plenty of Club drivers out as well as big hunting rigs so I though with my basic recovery gear and my bike I won't be to far out of luck. I though that I should give some a go.
My slightly modified 00 Tundra with the 285/75 AT cruised these trails amazingly well and I really do need to give these AT's a solid go before I CList them and get some MT's. I will definitely go with them until I put on some winter tires.

By the way http://www.yokohama.ca/en//tires/tire-page.php?tire_name=geolandar_it_g072

Yokohama Geolandar IT GO 72 285/75/16 and they do make a 315/75/16 snow tire as well. I guess the sign of snow got me on that subject...

Really good bike ride too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman