Tires & Gears

shreadhead

Hello, my name is Brent & I've been following this site for some time. Currently, I'm overdue for new tires. My truck specs are this:

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7 w/4:1 gears
NWOR V6 heavy duty coils w/2.5 spacer
NWOR heavy duty leaf w/longer shackles
Stearing rack stabilizer kit
Stock wheels
Snug Top

It's not much, but all I need for my interests which is mainly rock hounding. Most of my off roading is PNW logging roads & what the BLM considers roads in the Oregon Outback. I've read about every tire faq you and others have to offer, but I'm still hesitant to make my tire purchase w/o better feedback. I want 33X9.5 BFG AT's. I know they'll clear with a little hammering & triming, but how will the gearing hold up in the long run? BTW, It only has about 70,000 total miles so far.

OldSven

Explorer
My close friend that I do most of my wheeling with has an 01' with the 2.7 and runs 265/75/16 BFG AT's with no problem so 33x9.5's would be a great choice. They are really skinny once mounted up but will handle much better than a wider tire on road.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
My 255 85 16's are pretty close to 33 9.5 and I thought I was fine on the factory gears until I loaded it up and drove it into the mountains of Colorado this year... That convinced me to regear. 4.88's in her now, and its sooooo much better. For the record, the factory gears always seemed perfectly fine to me driving across the desert between AZ and SoCal - no steep, tall mountain ranges to climb. And opinions vary. But even though I was never a big regearing guy and thought it was fine on the 4.10's for a while, since the regear, it is just so much better. Easier on the engine and trans, more power to pull the added weight of skid plates, aftermarket bumpers, gear, etc. You should at the very least consider regearing before you go to a 33-inch tire, so you'll know what's involved if you get the 33's on there and it feels sluggish enough to bother you.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
x2.

BLUF: If you go 33's seriously consider a re-gear if you have to drive with any changes in elevation.

Since my regear to 5.29 for my 3RZ AT and all the added weight plus running 285's, I feel like I have a new truck with my return visit to the "power band." Gas mileage has gone up by 5 mpg as well, from 14-15 to 19-20. I tried to talk myself into believing the stock gears were okay, I could gut it out, but the laws of physics didn't change because I tried to fool myself into accepting the lugging the engine did and increased fuel consumption. YMMV

shreadhead

The other issue is that 32's in the BFG AT only come in 10.5 or wider. Dropping an inch there & then adding one there, does that really change anything power wise? They make Super Swampers in 32X9.5, but I don't need that aggressive of a tire or that bone jarring ride. This is not a daily driver, but it is 400+ miles to eastern Oregon, and I do get to drive around town in it sometimes. Another factor is that I don't want to look like one of the many around town that buy "the most expesive tires they had!!!" (and yes, I heard this). I prefer the function determines form rout. BTW, isn't regearing really expensive?
Brent

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
If you're worried about the cost of regearing, stick with a smaller tire. I can tell you from experience that 265 75 16's worked nicely on mine with factory 4.10's. 32's will not be as bad as 33's, even if they are wider... and you could "get by" with the factory gears. Ultimately you just have to make the call for yourself. Just be aware that with 33's in the hills you probably won't like it is all. Sorry, but you might just have to give it some thought and decide for yourself. Our opinions will only get you so far. Best of luck. And FWIW, I can tell you that I have seen Tacos on 32's wheel some pretty hard trails. You might not need 33s to do what you want to with the truck. And I did not have to do anything at all to clearance my 265 75 16s, which is pretty convenient compared to all the little things I did to run these 255 85 16s.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Yeah, what he said...

Exactly my same experience the only difference is I had 4.56 gears, 3RZ and AT. I managed some decent trails at Rausch Creek, PA for instance, on 265/75/16.

In fact, before the re-gear I swapped out my 285's for 265's on an old wheel set to manage the trip from VA to UT, swapping the "road set" to my 285's for the trail.

The cost of re-gearing... well, I waited till one of my kids was out of college if that gives you an idea.

shreadhead

Thanks for all the responses guys and not telling me just what I wanted to hear. Ultimately it does come down to dollars, especially with a 2.5 (daughter, that is) that limits all monetary articulation. Too many years to count before she gets out of college. Funny thing is that I often said when I first bought the truck that I wanted to send a kid off to college in it, but it'll be a classic by then kind of like some grandpas FJ40. I'll let her go to prom in it though, maybe.
Brent

shreadhead

Yeah, replying to my own post again. Turns out there are no 32X10.5's either. One would think that with gas prices tire companies would consider fuel efficiency as important. Looks like 31's again, oh well.
b

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears