tires recommendations

cr500taco

Adventurer
What load rating do you guys recommend to get? My BFG ATs, which are "C", did fine carryng 2 dirt bikes with gear and pulling a 2400lb gvwr pop up trailer.

Clutch

<---Pass
What load rating do you guys recommend to get? My BFG ATs, which are "C", did fine carryng 2 dirt bikes with gear and pulling a 2400lb gvwr pop up trailer.

I personally like "C", but again, up to personal preference. I carry roughly 800# of payload, and pull a trailer ranging from 1200-1800# depending how many bikes I have on it. That is included the trailer weight.

cr500taco

Adventurer
bump for more info.

Thanks for all of the input, so far, guys. I will be sticking with ATs, don't need anything more aggressive, yet. The ATs have worked well for me so far and since my Tacoma is a DD, the ATs will be better than MTs for me.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Also, not sure how many miles I have on my BFG all terrains, but I have had them at least 3 to 4 years. But regarding noticeable loss in performance, I have only noticed a loss in performance the last couple of months, mainly on the wet pavement, and that's when I started noticing visually that the tires needed to be replaced, soon. Haven't had any problems sliding on the wet pavement, since I haven't needed to slam on the brakes, but had the tires spin under normal acceleration on the wet pavement, where they didn't spin before. I had 60,000 miles on the BFG ATs that I had before. I am going to stop off at the garage where I bought my current set of tires to get prices for the Coopers, Yokohamas and BFGs. I will ask when I bought my tires, too see how many miles I have on them.

Clutch

<---Pass
You're welcome...a lot of it is trial and error...I ran BFG's for a good 20 years on different trucks. Then I started trying other brands. BFG's seem to last the longest, but give up a little in performance as they get to the end of their life. Some guys will sell them when they are at 50% wear, so they don't have to deal with the loss of performance. Always seem to get flats with the BFG's...my Coopers are about cooked...never had a flat in them, though.

I have had good luck with Jack Furriers...was a long time Discount Tire customer, but they seem a little aggressive with their sales tactics, where the guys at Jack's are a little more laid back, plus they are cheaper than Discount. Doesn't hurt that Jack's is right over the hill from me too, I can drop the truck off, and ride my bicycle home. ;)

cr500taco

Adventurer
You're welcome...a lot of it is trial and error...I ran BFG's for a good 20 years on different trucks. Then I started trying other brands. BFG's seem to last the longest, but give up a little in performance as they get to the end of their life. Some guys will sell them when they are at 50% wear, so they don't have to deal with the loss of performance. Always seem to get flats with the BFG's...my Coopers are about cooked...never had a flat in them, though.

I have had good luck with Jack Furriers...was a long time Discount Tire customer, but they seem a little aggressive with their sales tactics, where the guys at Jack's are a little more laid back, plus they are cheaper than Discount. Doesn't hurt that Jack's is right over the hill from me too, I can drop the truck off, and ride my bicycle home. ;)

Cool, maybe I'll stick with BFGs, for now. Never had a flat with either set of my BFGs. Actually, because of that, I keep forgetting to replace the spare, that's under the truck. The spare has been on there, since I got the truck over 144,000 miles ago. I am hoping to get more trail use out of the tires, this set around. I usually find myself sticking with something that I know and works. I have a hard time getting something different, when it comes to something as expensive as tires. But, lately I have found that asking and researching feedback, helps me try something different.

There's a Discount Tire close to me. Do you recommend checking them out? I have thought about it in the past, but never really gave it a second thought.

Clutch

<---Pass
There's a Discount Tire close to me. Do you recommend checking them out? I have thought about it in the past, but never really gave it a second thought.

I believe they price match. I would go with whoever is easiest and cheapest for you. If you're happy with BFG's, stick with them.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Does any one know how the ******** Cepek Fun Country's are? They are suppose to be in between a AT and MT tires. I tried doing some research on them, but there's not much info. Only came across a couple of sites, but they gave them good reviews. Haven't come across anyone in forums that has used them.

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer
Just came across the Cooper S/T. Does anyone have any insight on them? I like the S/T Maxx, but they don't make them for 15"s

codename607

Adventurer
Not sure if this will help you out but I'm currently looking at the Falken Wild Peaks or Rocky Mounts (Discount Tire's version). The price from Discount Tire seems unbeatable and from what I have heard they are really good tires. From talking to people they wear even, last long and are easy to balance. Right now I'm running Nitto Trail Grapplers but I'm going to give the Falkens a try my next go around.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Not sure if this will help you out but I'm currently looking at the Falken Wild Peaks or Rocky Mounts (Discount Tire's version). The price from Discount Tire seems unbeatable and from what I have heard they are really good tires. From talking to people they wear even, last long and are easy to balance. Right now I'm running Nitto Trail Grapplers but I'm going to give the Falkens a try my next go around.

Thanks for the input. I went to Discount Tires, today to get prices and the guy I talked with didn't mention those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179