Tires recommendations

cr500taco

Adventurer
I asked this in the Toyota section, but thought I would ask here to see if I can get more feedback.

I am about ready to get new tires for my 97 Tacoma 4WD. I am currently running 31X10.5X15 BFG All Terrains on the stock 7" wide wheels. I really like them and these are my second set. I haven't had any issues with either set and they do well on the street, either dry or wet, dirt and snow. But, just wondering what you guys are running and what do you recommend or are the BFGs good to stay with? My truck is a DD and I use it on trails, dunes and the snow, also. Not planning on any rock crawling.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I've been researching the coopers. Between the coopers and BFG, which do you recommend?

The AT3 is marginally better in the snow and ice, with the BFG being a bit better in the rocks, I have a set of each of my vehicles and am happy with both.

cr500taco

Adventurer
The AT3 is marginally better in the snow and ice, with the BFG being a bit better in the rocks, I have a set of each of my vehicles and am happy with both.

How long have you had both sets?
I was told that the BFG ATs start gettng hard and lose their performance about half way through their life, which i have not experienced on either set that i have owned. Also, was told that the Coopers are better on the wet payment, because they are a softer compound, but they don't last as long.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
You could take a look at the new ******** Cepek Fun Country. Looks like a great tire.

8852053098526_2000x2000j_tires_dickcepek_funcountry_15551_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

vwhammer

Adventurer
Hankook has some new all terrain tires out now.
I bought a set to put on my Vanagon.
Have not mounted or driven with them yet but I have had several other Hankook tires from max performance summer to full on snow tires and most have been pretty impressive and they usually rate in the top 5 in many tire tests.
They are also considerably cheaper than other brands as well.
Here is what I bought.

They are a little hard to come by yet but if you hunt around you can find them.
These are the Dynapro ATM.

Explorer
BFG and Duratracs are both really good.

Hankooks are a little thin in the sidewall, but are a great performer and value. (I put these on my work trucks)

I don't know about other brands, but I have three trucks, one with BFG AT's, one with BFG MT's (KM?) and one with Duratracs.
The duratrac is a better all around tire than the BFG's, but I still really like my BFGs.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
How long have you had both sets?
I was told that the BFG ATs start gettng hard and lose their performance about half way through their life, which i have not experienced on either set that i have owned. Also, was told that the Coopers are better on the wet payment, because they are a softer compound, but they don't last as long.

I have had 7 or 8 sets of the BFG's since 1999 on my Jeeps, the Coopers I put on my Chevy diesel last year and put about 600 miles of dirt roads and trails on them fishing and hunting in rain and snow and they did amazingly well. The Coopers are quieter and better in the rain.

cr500taco

Adventurer
They never really left. Went from the Armstrong to the Fun Country to the Fun Country II and now back to the Fun Country. :)

Been doing some researching on the Fun Country. Not much info on the new ones, yet. But, the couple of sites that I read reviews on them gave positive reviews. I am kind of intrigued by them. They are in the middle of of a AT and MT tire. The only real downside I read is that they are noisier, than typical AT tries. Haven't come across anyone that has used them in the forums, yet. The ******** Cepek MT tires had a good review, also.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Been doing some researching on the Fun Country. Not much info on the new ones, yet. But, the couple of sites that I read reviews on them gave positive reviews. I am kind of intrigued by them. They are in the middle of of a AT and MT tire. The only real downside I read is that they are noisier, than typical AT tries. Haven't come across anyone that has used them in the forums, yet. The ******** Cepek MT tires had a good review, also.

The downside to an obscure tire company is that you can't just walk into a tire shop in podunkville and buy a replacement, with BFG or Cooper you can buy them anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears