Tires? Tires? Tires?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
If you are talking D-I, 265/75 or 235/85, both 32" will work with +2", a RRC would do better with a 245/75, about 31", and the D-II can go 285/75 or my favorite, 255/85, either side of 33".
BFG are hard to beat for sidewall as they are 3 ply. The tire selection will ultimately make more difference with your satisfaction of the vehicle than any other decision, from my observation- both from performance and aesthetics perspective.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
If 32 inch or 235/85-16 is too small, 255/85-16 or 33 is just right.

I just went thru this. Tall and skinnys work best.

285 are way too tall and wide, you'll need three inches of lift for them, and that can get funky/costly. 255/85-16 rub on full lock, and IMO need lower gearing... 235/85-16 are just right :)

Land Runner

Observer
So the final decision has been made and tires ordered from treadwright! 235/85/16 crawler mt. I saw this exact tire on a 90 classic yesterday and it had a 2 inch lift as well and it looked perfect. Besides it is not a daily driver and the price was more than just "Wright"

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
So the final decision has been made and tires ordered from treadwright! 235/85/16 crawler mt. I saw this exact tire on a 90 classic yesterday and it had a 2 inch lift as well and it looked perfect. Besides it is not a daily driver and the price was more than just "Wright"

Very cool, option. Are they radial or bias ply?

psykokid

Explorer
I've got a friend that has 255/85/16's on his classic and i think that looks about perfect on that truck.. Going with that size the next time i get a new set of tires. The only real negative to that size is the lack of real selection in that size. You are pretty much limited to BFG MTR KM2's, Toyo Open Country MTR, Toyo M55's, Maxxis Bighorns and Cooper Discoverer S/T..

macro1

I just went thru this. Tall and skinnys work best.

285 are way too tall and wide, you'll need three inches of lift for them, and that can get funky/costly. 255/85-16 rub on full lock, and IMO need lower gearing... 235/85-16 are just right :)

I second this.

Ive run 265/75 for a few years and liked them alot. However, I now have the 235/85 BF Goodrich KM2's and I LOVE them. Turning radius is better, less rubbing, and you still get the same hight as the 265/75.

I think we all tend to stay away from "skinny" tires since all the cool jeep guys out there are running such large tires. Even a lot of guys at tires shops will do a double take when you say 235/85. I was even asked "These are going on a dually right??"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle