TIRES WANTED: Simex Extreme Trekker "Centipede" Tires 35x10.50x15

Will be outrageously expensive... Why not Interco Boggers, SSR, or LTB? Plus those are DOT and from what if I recall correctly the Simex tires are not.

I want a similar size and those are my considerations.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A good friend of mine is looking for a set of these.

Any help would be great!

I have never even heard of these, who sells them? Tried google?

Will be outrageously expensive... Why not Interco Boggers, SSR, or LTB? Plus those are DOT and from what if I recall correctly the Simex tires are not.

I want a similar size and those are my considerations.

Good suggestions, but the SSR is the only tire I would drive on the street out of the bunch.

Rozzi

Adventurer
They are common in New Zealand/AU.

He has his heart set on them. I, personally, would also go with SSRs out of the bunch.

jluck

Adventurer
Simex tires handle as good/(bad) as boggers on the road. They are cool looking. I passed on a like new set a few months ago for 600 there rare in the states but you can get them if you look hard enough. If I can find the info I had on getting them I will post it.

zolo

Explorer
Good luck, You would have to ship from over seas. Maybe there is an Importer for them here in the US but they are crazy expensive and aggressive. The LTB is a pretty great tire available here.
They come in a 34x10.5x15
I ran them for a while. Tough as hell. As close as you could get to a Simex. IMHO

ginericLC

Adventurer
The exporter is actually in FL. They export to S and C America. They will not sell to N America. Like it was said above they are not DOT legal. So even if you could find a set you wouldn't be legal to run them on the highway. Granted most of us never have had a tire checked even if stopped by the police, but if you were in an accident it could cause problems. I researched them a lot several years ago because the 35x10.50 is a pretty unique size. From what my non-USA Cruiserhead friends have said they are very much like a Swamper when it comes to wear and performance on the highway.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
They are manufactured by Dunlop in Malaysia. Two things I didn't like about them. One is compound. Seems too hard and if you drive a lot on the roads, chunks start to break off. Sidewalls didn't deform too well. You had to deflate them much more than other brands to make them deform. It's not so bad if you have beadlocks, but if you don't, you end up breaking the bead off the rims.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Well you also need to consider what the tire is made for... these Simex tires aren't made for hwy travel or even rock crawling. The hard compound makes them even better for clearing mud and the stiffness (sidewall thickness) helps avoid puncture in a jungle environment where roots and small rocks would shred lesser tires... There is a reason why you see those tires on every single truck in south east asia. They work for their terrain.

Look at Interco's Super Swamper Bogger. Super hard compound compared to the LTBs and TSLs. But it is practically the only tire in North America that is designed specifically to paddle your way through mud.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
They use them in asia because they are made there and are extremely cheap. SS are expensive out there. The opposite of here in the US. When I was in Malaysia I was running TSL/SX In 36x12.5. They performed considerably better than the Simex in the thick Malaysian mud. We all did the same amount of jungle/highway, and Simex were a mess at the end. Huge chunks missing on the lugs. Since they were an event sponsor I could have had them at factory price. But after seeing their poor performance compared to the SS I opted out. Did exactly the same comparison in Australia a year later during the Outback Challenge. Results were the same.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I wish I could post an old VHS video of a mud hole in the Outback Challenge. Vehicles with Simex, which were 90%, had to winch most of the way. The only two Super Seamper vehicles nearly made it to the end. We only had to winch out of the hole at the end. I had my TSL/SX and he had regular TSLs.

1830d17b-6bca-1787.jpg

1830d17b-6be0-6974.jpg

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

aka rover

Adventurer
Simex are good tires but given the choice between them or TSLs I would pick the Swampers. I have run against the simex tires in the OUTBACK CHALLENGE as well and I was one of about three rigs running the swampers and we didnt get the flats and sidewall damage that the simexs where getting. My first experiance with the simex brand tire was in the RAINFOREST CHALLENGE in Malaysia. One of my freinds Chriss Hummer from Au helped with the design of theses tires swears buy them. I owned a set of the original Jungle trekkers and never had any issues with the lugs comming off of them and they wore very well for the most part. If he wants a tall skinny tire then the 35x11 bogger would be awsome.

Ed

They use them in asia because they are made there and are extremely cheap. SS are expensive out there. The opposite of here in the US. When I was in Malaysia I was running TSL/SX In 36x12.5. They performed considerably better than the Simex in the thick Malaysian mud. We all did the same amount of jungle/highway, and Simex were a mess at the end. Huge chunks missing on the lugs. Since they were an event sponsor I could have had them at factory price. But after seeing their poor performance compared to the SS I opted out. Did exactly the same comparison in Australia a year later during the Outback Challenge. Results were the same.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Simex are good tires but given the choice between them or TSLs I would pick the Swampers. I have run against the simex tires in the OUTBACK CHALLENGE as well and I was one of about three rigs running the swampers and we didnt get the flats and sidewall damage that the simexs where getting. My first experiance with the simex brand tire was in the RAINFOREST CHALLENGE in Malaysia. One of my freinds Chriss Hummer from Au helped with the design of theses tires swears buy them. I owned a set of the original Jungle trekkers and never had any issues with the lugs comming off of them and they wore very well for the most part. If he wants a tall skinny tire then the 35x11 bogger would be awsome.

Ed

Unfortunately I wasn't speaking from experience, regarding the two brands (edit: regarding the simex tires). But being a Louisiana boy (wait a tick...remind me where Interco is from?) I grew up with Swampers of all sorts.

Whatever you do, stay away from the thornbirds. The only thing they have going for them is sidewall lugs, which work great for clawing your way through ruts.
I haven't tried the Interco SSR, but its on my list as they have the size I want. I'm confident that the SSR's sidewalls will be at least as durable as KM2s... but loads more aggressive. My truck sees less than 5000 miles each year, so mileage is not an issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears