Tires

skrypj

I’m on my third set of Yokohama Geolander G015’s. One set each on my 4Runner, F150 and F250. They are hands down the best AT tire I’ve used in the winter between deep snow and ice packed roads up here in North Dakota. I stay away from mud but they’ve also worked great in loose dirt and sand. I’ve not treated them well on either truck especially on the F250 pulling heavy trailers and never had a failure or issue.

I’ve had other tires on the trucks too, Michelin Defender M/S2, Toyo Open A/T2/3, MasterCraft Courser CXT and General Grabber A/TX for comparison.

I had 37" G003's on my 4Runner and they were impressive for such an aggressive MT. I swear they were no louder and handled about as well as my KO2's.

They handled snow well too when air'd down to 5 psi :ROFLMAO:

IMG_9494.jpg

jgallo1

Adventurer
I’m on my third set of Yokohama Geolander G015’s. One set each on my 4Runner, F150 and F250. They are hands down the best AT tire I’ve used in the winter between deep snow and ice packed roads up here in North Dakota. I stay away from mud but they’ve also worked great in loose dirt and sand. I’ve not treated them well on either truck especially on the F250 pulling heavy trailers and never had a failure or issue.

I’ve had other tires on the trucks too, Michelin Defender M/S2, Toyo Open A/T2/3, MasterCraft Courser CXT and General Grabber A/TX for comparison.
I had put a set of the Yokohama Geolanders on the wifes 4 Runner a few years back and they were amazing tires. I never thought of them for a HD truck but maybe I should

Westy

Adventurer
G/Y Duratracs: I believe much of the reason they get a bad rap is because vehicle manufacturers use the least expensive/low load rated/cheap Duratracs. Almost like a P rated truck tire basically. They inherently do have weak sidewalls. I've seen two of them go bad this year on Colorado Bison that had factory Duratracs.

I bought a used, Dodge Power Wagon last year and it had some Duratracs 315/75 E rated that were new. Definitely not my first choice and I'd heard over the years a lot of negative opinions and experience on this tire so I was cautious. Fast forward a year. I've beat them up good, lots of hard miles over all kinds of trails including Death Valley backcountry and many AZ trails on a heavy truck. I've been impressed, tires work very well. They may not be the best all terrain or RT type tire but I think they are good quality if the proper load rated and spec is used for the vehicles intended purpose.

Zuber

Local tire shops will not sipe used tires. They'll do new ones that you buy from them. Probably don't like hitting rocks with their tools. I've siped my own motorcycle tires using a hack saw with the blade ground to a knife edge. Didn't take long. You can do custom shapes.

Usually, there is tons of take-offs on wheels for sale cheap in the spring. Most are snow tires.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Local tire shops will not sipe used tires.

Funny, I get my USED tires siped just fine at the local les scwab. ;)

A few years ago it was $8 per tire. A couple of months ago I had the 35" Toyo AT2s on the superduty resiped, now its $15 per tire.

And still worth every penny.

hemifoot

Observer
i use my oem duracraps for winter driving,i want to wear them out asap.then i can get some proper snow tires.the rest of the year i run my ridge grapplers because there's no law saying you can't have 2 sets of tires.

eyemgh

I had Wildpeaks on my last rig and used them year 'round. When I built the new rig, they weren't available due to supply chain issues. I ended up with Toyo AT3s. They suck in the winter. I now have studded Duratracs for the winter. Once the Toyos wear out, I'll go back to Wildpeaks.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I had Wildpeaks on my last rig and used them year 'round. When I built the new rig, they weren't available due to supply chain issues. I ended up with Toyo AT3s. They suck in the winter. I now have studded Duratracs for the winter. Once the Toyos wear out, I'll go back to Wildpeaks.
I also thought Wildpeaks were great.

I was going to go back to them but I called 3 tire shops around me and all said they were back ordered until they didn't know.
I ended up getting a good deal on the Toyo's AT3 mounted, balanced, and aligned for 1650. They gave me 800 for my coopers. I know I could maybe get 1k for the Coopers but selling tires is PITA. I feel good about it.

The tire guys did say that the Yokohama Geolander G015 is a surprisingly amazing tire. He said most people skip it b/c it does not look as burly as the X-AT or a Toyo or BF Goodrich. He didn't have any in bigger sizes for me to look at but I did see one that looked like it was for a smaller SUV and the tread pattern looked really good. Maybe a sleeper option ha ha.
Hope the Toyos work well.

Attachments

• IMG_1668.jpeg
    IMG_1668.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Unfortunate to see the neg comments about the AT3

For those that have had negative experiences, have you had the AT2 as well to compare?

We are on our 3rd set (between two trucks) of AT2s, and have had great results in snow/ice conditions.
As mentioned previously, they will require a round or two of siping after they wear beyond that factory siping

But beyond that they are fantastic. Our current set have about 35k on them now, and I just had them siped to cover my bases for our winter travels.
We tend to use our truck/camper just as much or more during winter here in North Idaho.

52699089056_3ae3c3e664_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears