Titan and Titan XD frame

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hello,

does anybody have pictures or data on those rather rare vehicle frames? As far as i know the first Titan was based on the Armata which was a modified Patrol Y61 frame, but what is the "normal" second version based on? And how strong is that commercial frame under the XD version?

Is it comparable to a Ford F-150 or more like a HD frame or something in between?

Kind regards,

Marcus

CoreyHendo

When comparing the XD to the standard Titan frame, the XD has more crossmembers and is taller. You can see that height when you realize on an XD, the front tow hooks are mounted below the bumper and through the skid plate instead of above it in the lower grill opening as on the standard Titans. The Titan XD has always fell in the middle of a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickup from the American manufacturers. Where it shines is that they do ride WAY better than a 3/4 ton truck, but tow with better stability than a 1/2 ton. The issue ends up being tow capacity and payload. They can't do near what a 3/4 ton truck can do and tow capacity is under what some manufacturers tout for their high tow capacity 1/2 ton pickups. You will not find a 1/2 ton, crew cab, short bed truck, with options people want that can tow 13000 lbs and has a payload of more than probably 1500 lbs. A Titan XD Pro-4x gas truck will have a tow capacity over 11000 lbs and a payload of over 1900 lbs. The payload is really where the XD shines in my opinion. Additionally, you didn't really ask, but the steering on an XD is a traditional recirculating ball setup with a frame mounted gearbox vice the standard Titan having a rack and pinion setup.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
XD frame is completely different than the regular Titan. It's not just thickness. The shape, length, cross members, mounting points etc. are different.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hmmm the payload is not that impressive to me to be honest, that numbers gets equaled or beaten by the much smaller 7series Pickup of Toyota (which of course has a much worse ride) also is it true the titan only comes as crew cap and ends up longer than a F-250 single cap?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Hmmm the payload is not that impressive to me to be honest, that numbers gets equaled or beaten by the much smaller 7series Pickup of Toyota (which of course has a much worse ride) also is it true the titan only comes as crew cap and ends up longer than a F-250 single cap?
Are you comparing it to a truck that’s not sold in the US?

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Thats weird, because the 7 series pickup has at least the same payload as most F-150/1500 trucks, while beeng smaller.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It is not. Toyota's trucks in the US in the are more of a lifestyle truck. For payload you're better off with Ford, GM, or Ram.
Are half ton domestic trucks better than a Tundra on payload? I’m not including a special order unicorn, just talking the standard crew cab 4wd trucks on the lot.

tacollie

Glamper
Are half ton domestic trucks better than a Tundra on payload? I’m not including a special order unicorn, just talking the standard crew cab 4wd trucks on the lot.
I've only really looked at Supercab F150s vs 2nd gen double cab Tundras. 2015 up it's pretty easy to find F150 with 500-700lbs more payload over a Tundra. I think it was the switch to aluminum bodies. 1900 lb on the super cab with a 6.5'bed isn't uncommon. Our Tundra was on the higher side at 1440lbs. I have 2 buddies and a neighbor with double cab Tundras that are rated under 1300lbs. Like you mentioned our half ton trucks rated for towing not payload.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Well if you check the recent specks, the 7Series features a payload of 1300kg so 2860, which is clearly above anything thats not a Super Duty or equally big. However there is of course a difference between payload on paper and actual toughness. Then again, we are speaking about the Land Cruiser and the harsh australian conditions, so i doubt these are just paper numbers.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Not really sure what info you're after. Bottom line is the Titan XD and the regular Titan use different frames. The XD has a higher payload and is off their commerical line. The 7 series might be even more and an F350 even more.

ricoisme26

I've only really looked at Supercab F150s vs 2nd gen double cab Tundras. 2015 up it's pretty easy to find F150 with 500-700lbs more payload over a Tundra. I think it was the switch to aluminum bodies. 1900 lb on the super cab with a 6.5'bed isn't uncommon. Our Tundra was on the higher side at 1440lbs. I have 2 buddies and a neighbor with double cab Tundras that are rated under 1300lbs. Like you mentioned our half ton trucks rated for towing not payload.

I don't think it has much to do with the aluminum bodies, I have a 2012 f150 before the move to aluminum and my gvwr is 7300lbs roughly, looking at 2015+ F150s with aluminum gvwr was dropped below 7000lbs and they appear to manipulate it based on configuration. Most common crew cab short (5.5) bed likely has a different gvwr based on the engine selected and any packages (max tow).

Kind of a skeezy way they manipulate their numbers, I would understand if a base v6 engine didn't provide enough power or have enough cooling etc to handle a higher gvwr but these days all the motors are putting out power above and beyond what's needed to move these gvwrs. I doubt there are different brakes based on engine model. So they are just manipulating configuration by changing the gvwr. put them all at the max for 1/2 ton truck category and let the numbers be the numbers.

Toyota appears to just have a heavier truck, and therefore lower payload ratings. I can't speak to if they manipulate gvwr like I have seen on Fords.
No comment on what GM, Ram, or Nissan are doing GVWR wise for their 1/2 tons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior