To build or not to build 2024 Sierra 3500 Single cab

jrubicon

I am at a crossroads and am trying to decide what path to choose. I am the epitome of the overlanding/camping world, i camp average 2x a month. I either ride a R1250GS and camp out of my bike, or overland out of my truck camper with a sxs & or bike. I currently have a 16 sierra 1500 which serves my purpose imensely. im at 67k miles, most of these miles from trips, no commutes or daily driving.

I love my truck but i feel i want a dedicated 4x4 camper. I feel graduating to a dedicated rig, purpose built. Im looking long term. My sierra cant go offroad, its sways too much, too top heavy etc. i can do a dirt rd and i can only take it super slow. Camper is a 18 travel lite 610R w a shower, approx 1600lbs loaded w water, maybe less.

I am contemplating ordering a 2024 Sierra Regular cab 4x4 and removing the bed, building my own camper. I am a welder fabricator, but i can only do steel. I cant weld alum.
I feel can build a steel frame but dont know how id make the sides and roof.
Below are some ideas... im just hoping to get feedback...

Attachments

• F5E41B8B-64C1-41F0-9A24-2A0245958DC7.jpeg
    F5E41B8B-64C1-41F0-9A24-2A0245958DC7.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 8af383d5fc2844aeaf9ac95ca3f287c3.jpg
    8af383d5fc2844aeaf9ac95ca3f287c3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 34
  • grey.PNG
    grey.PNG
    570.3 KB · Views: 34

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Aluminum + VHB tape = good job.

I'd suggest you buy a used rig and modify it, even if you buy the new truck. Go now, or spend months building.

But if you enjoy fabrication, by all means, fabricate.

Or, go bigger and put that travel trailer on a truck frame, that's been done too.

Fly fisherman

Aluminum + VHB tape = good job. I'd suggest you buy a used rig and modify it, even if you buy the new truck. Go now, or spend months building. But if you enjoy fabrication, by all means, fabricate. Or, go bigger and put that travel trailer on a truck frame, that's been done too.

Build it yourself. There is satisfaction in creating a camper. Use the material you are most comfortable working with. They all have pluses and minuses.
I built mine. Been very happy with the results. Saved a lot of money. Prices are crazy for what you get from manufacturers.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Aluminum + VHB tape = good job.

I'd suggest you buy a used rig and modify it, even if you buy the new truck. Go now, or spend months building.

But if you enjoy fabrication, by all means, fabricate.

Or, go bigger and put that travel trailer on a truck frame, that's been done too.
Personally, I'd buy the used rig and modify it if need be.

While I understand and admire the skill and desire that goes into a building a custom camper, how long will it take?

I've seen builds takes years to complete. I see that as time lost building / working in a garage that could have been spend relaxing while camping / riding. Just my 2 cents. All depends on how you want to prioritize your time.

Good looking set up you have now! If you feel you're too top heavy now, could you swap out the camper for a pop up to reduce some of the weight up top? Or, since you're already towing a trailer with you to your destinations, swap out the truck camper for a tow behind toy hauler?

Last edited:

Fly fisherman

While I understand and admire the skill and desire that goes into a building a custom camper, how long will it take?

I've seen builds takes years to complete. I see that as time lost building / working in a garage that could have been spend relaxing while camping / riding. Just my 2 cents. All depends on how you want to prioritize your time.
I had a usable shell in 4 months. After that is tweaking the roof lifts, and finishing interior. Called it good at 10 months. Cost with light, solar, frig, and diesel heat. $5400.00 including 2 Brophy jacks to load it.

Fly fisherman

Good looking set up you have now! If you feel you're too top heavy now, could you swap out the camper for a pop up to reduce some of the weight up top? Or, since you're already towing a trailer with you to your destinations, swap out the truck camper for a tow behind toy hauler?

Had a usable shell in 4 months. Spent time changing interior layout, and tweaking the lift system. Cost of project was $5400.00. That included lightning, solar, diesel heater, frig, and 2 Brophy jacks to load it in truck. Called it finished at 10 months.

Jo_Duval

Observer
You might be less top heavy but I doubt you will feel less top heavy.

With the amount of time you spend out there, similar to what I was doing a couple years ago, building a rig is a time commitment that you may not want to take or do during off season.

jrubicon

thanks for the input. this continues to be an obsession i want to pursue. The real issue to me is the material to use. Steel is my forte. I also got inspired by the Tacozilla build which is all steel. The shell, the skin, the seems if where i think i have zero experience, meaning bondo & sanding to have rounded good corners. https://trailtacoma.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/TacoZilla_Toyotas_Modern_Tacoma-Camper_32.jpg
I want to pursue this build because ive already proven for many years I use my rig and need a dedicate rig. My halfton continues to serve well but im very limited in offroad travel.

trackhead

Adventurer
Only question I’d have is why the pass through? On vans it’s easy, but trucks
pass through is only good for dogs and small kids unless you like yoga and caving in small spaces. Plus if you for some reason don’t love your build, you still have an unadulterated truck without a hole in it.

jrubicon

wont be a small pass thru, its basically top of old window to almost the floor. Pass thru is important, i dont have that right now and i dont like that i go outside to get in my camper or truck. the biggest question i have is how should i go about with the skin. sheet metal or fiberglass. i only have proficiency in steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior