To buy or not to buy that is the question.

screwball48

Explorer
With some luck and planning I may be in the market for a new truck this October. I continue to flip flop between a quad cab tacoma or a quad cab f250/350 6.2l. Currently I drive a 2007 sr5 2wd 4runner. I will be upgrading to 4wd when I purchase my next vehicle. My question for the individuals on here is this: There seems to be unfounded internet rumors that the tacoma is facing a total redesign possibly for the 2016 model year and if so would it be prudent to wait the extra year for the newer model or to go ahead and purchase this year. I have seen the supposed spy images of the Taiwanese toyota hilux and wonder if Toyota will go with a global platform and if so would it be beneficial to wait possibly till next year to see.

screwball48

Explorer
This may be my one and only chance to get "THE" truck. If the interior size of the tacoma is increased then this will be a plus. If the interior size is decreased then the opposite is true. Also even though I don not foresee it happening in the next five years or so I still hope to be surprised with a diesel engine option.

toyrunner95

Explorer
well the 2016 thuper doody burned to the ground in death valley a few days ago. and if the Toyota lines change its going to be a merge between the hilux and Tacoma as to make a universal truck. many countries have wanted the hilux and been denied so in combining the lines in a good idea. it would stream line processes as well as make parts widely available across the planet. also the hilux would bring a diesel option.

IMHO i wouldent get a ford, ive run dodge, ford and chevy in numerous vehicles and i just am not satisfied with them. they always have issues that seem to crop up right at the worst time. GM, gauge clusters go bad, dodge, turbos and lift/ injector pumps, ford, notorious trans problems as well as engine gremlins.

i went with toyota because if 3 things, reliability, durability, and dependability. i can rely on it to run, i can depend on it to start, i can count on it to last.

ebg18t

Adventurer
My question would be: Do you really want a truck as big as a F250/F350? I used to have a 2007 F250 SuperDuty extended cab, short box. It was a lot of truck. It was great for towing, but for daily use it wasn't the most convenient. On the trail it was wide & turning radius left a bit to be desired.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
You are then looking at 2 COMPLETELY different trucks... Why would a super-duty truck be something you want to buy if a Tacoma will fill your needs as well. Do you have a need for a super-duty? I ask because I have a work truck that is ford f350 king cab long bed and would not look at buying one simply because I have no use for it. The boat weighs just at 2700lbs and the trailer loaded is 2500lbs. My pathfinder moves both with ease so I wouldnt look at buying a big truck... You catch my drift? Now, that being said, if you just enjoy the big truck then why look at a tacoma?

screwball48

Explorer
Thank you for the replies. My first choice is the tacoma, I simply have not taken the time to look at one on a lot yet. The deciding factor will be the size of the back seat. My wife and I have twins that are three. Currently the rear seat of my 4runner is plenty big enough, and I simply want to avoid going to a smaller seat. The specs on a tacoma list rear leg room as 2" smaller than my 4runner. I am receiving a 50/50 feed back on the tacoma rear seat. Some say it is just fine while others say there is no way they would ride with rear passengers everyday. Once I have the opportunity to place a car seat in the rear of a tacoma then I will know which way I am going to go in the purchase. I am aware that a crewmax tundra is an option. The reason that I am overlooking the tundra is due to cost and mpg. For a lower initial purchase price and comparable MPG I can have a full size F250/350. I do wholeheartedly agree that the build quality of the Toyota will be better than that of a Ford (I have owned several toyota pickups over the years).
A global platform will streamline production and cost for Toyota and I do see one being produced in the near future. The question is how near. By October the 2015 model year will be in full swing and hopefully more substantial rumors will be around regarding the timeline of the next platform. We already have Toyota vehicles that are loosely based on a global platform (4runner, fjcruiser, LX lexus all based on overseas prado chasis) and have yet to to see a diesel option in those vehicles even though one is available outside of the USA.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As a general rule, I would never buy the first year of a totally redesigned vehicle. There are always problems in the first model year that don't show up until the vehicle is actually used. When you buy the first year of a total redesign, you are signing up to become a 'beta tester' for the company and usually paying extra $$ for the privilege of doing so. ;)

OTOH, buying the last year of the old design often gets you one of the best vehicles out there, as all the kinks have been worked out and since vehicles usually get features added on year-by-year, when you buy the last year of the model run, you get the most features (for example, I'd love to have a 2009 Trail Edition 4runner - the only 4runner since 2000 to have both on-road 4wd capability AND a locking rear diff!)

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Growing up in a Detroit auto industry household and community, conventional wisdom is never buy a first year of new design. The new model is always rushed to production and has an untold amount of unbeknownst issues.

screwball48

Explorer
The first production year gremlins is a phenomenon that I understand. I have not given it proper consideration in my current scenario. Thank you both for reminding me of it and helping to ease some concerns of purchasing now vs later. As of today I am heavily leaning towards the tacoma in October, given the rear seat is acceptable.

155mm

Adventurer
Looks like you are on the right track. Also, if the Tacoma isn't big enough and you don't like the Tundra, then take a look at the other brands of half-tons. You could grab a 2014 F-150 for pretty cheap in October, as lots of folks will be holding out for the redesigned 2015. The ride will be better than the Super Duty as long as the decreased payload is okay (which it should be, if your first pick is a Tacoma!)

toyrunner95

Explorer
Ironically if you look at the side by side comparison of the tundra and f-150, since day one the tundra has been a carbon copy. Iforce 5.7 and tight on v8 are the same engine.

Now if you can afford to wait, I suggest waiting till spring. I have a feeling that gm and ford are going to reintroduce the Colorado and ranger based off the international versions that are diesel and quad cab. That's a ranger in my avatar, not a hilux.

screwball48

Explorer
I believe that GM has already announced the debut of a new colorado with a duramax option. I agree that the quad cab rangers are excellent looking. The F150 suffers from the same deficiencies as the tundra does. Higher price with marginal MPG.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Now if you can afford to wait, I suggest waiting till spring. I have a feeling that gm and ford are going to reintroduce the Colorado and ranger based off the international versions that are diesel and quad cab. That's a ranger in my avatar, not a hilux.

I doubt we'll ever see a Ranger in the US again. Bringing in a Ranger makes no sense anyway to Ford because all it would do is cannibalize sales of the F-150. Ford makes more money selling an F-150, so why would they offer a lower priced/lower profit option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears