To FZJ80 or not

Besides all of the obvious reasons to love this vehicle, I'm in need of a 7 seater SUV that can handle mild to moderate offroad duties.

Clearly the FZJ80 fits the bill. But what other vehicles should I be considering?

Fester

Observer
A discovery SE7 CAN seat 7 but only as an occasional option. It is not for long term or regular use. Do not consider as a realistic option.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Are the 100's as well built as the 80's? I've always heard that the 80's were built like a 3/4ton vehicle.

FZJ80's are overbuilt for their purpose. I just hauled a heavy double axel 6X12' enclosed trailer 3500 miles from Alaska and the Cruiser only protested on the hills. My buddies 100 seems, after crawling around it a lot for mods, to be built for a slightly different market.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Describe moderate? A Nissan Armada fits 7 very comfortably, and there are lifts up to 6" available for it, and it has an awesome engine/transmission combo.

Moderate: I guess I'd consider Poison Spyder Mesa in Moab moderate. I was able to run it in my stock WJ with street tires.

Sorry, but I can't get past the looks of the Armada.

Describe moderate? A Nissan Armada fits 7 very comfortably, and there are lifts up to 6" available for it, and it has an awesome engine/transmission combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78