To pintle or not to pintle?

ThundahBeagle

Mine will rotate laterally as mentioned.

All pieces came in the mail couple of days ago but it’s 38 outside and I’m not interested in camping out in the barn to work on it in that weather. Hopefully the sun heats things up this afternoon and I can give it a try installing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny how it's all relative. It was single digits last night, and that's not even the worst weve had it. Ice storm a day ago, and more than 2 feet of snow last weekend. And in between,
the temperature rose above freezing and fell sharply, making roads slick as a skating rink. Yup, I'm looking forward to 38 degrees

tx-jeremy

Do me/us a favor. Measure the outside and inside diameter (hole diameter) of your military lunette ring. I want to compare it to our 2" receiver ones we use. Thanks.

Will do after church today.

tx-jeremy

Funny how it's all relative. It was single digits last night, and that's not even the worst weve had it. Ice storm a day ago, and more than 2 feet of snow last weekend. And in between,
the temperature rose above freezing and fell sharply, making roads slick as a skating rink. Yup, I'm looking forward to 38 degrees

I’m a weather-wuss-born-and-bred Texan. 105F? I’m good. 35F outside? Forget that I feel it in my bones.

NMBruce

Adventurer
I’m a weather-wuss-born-and-bred Texan. 105F? I’m good. 35F outside? Forget that I feel it in my bones.

I was born in Chicago, live in the mountains of Colorado and the coldest winters I remember are the real cold weeks in Houston Texas. The humidity was the worst, I think even worst that the wind coming off of Lake Michigan. LOL

bshinn

That looks like a nightmare with way too many moving parts, I wonder how well it works below freezing. I wonder why they retired the DO45.
Sorry but both the ball and pintle hitch are wayy better designs.
Actually few moving parts, & it’s completely rebuildable if ever necessary, works excellently even well below freezing. Only downside (other than cost) is it’s slightly more difficult to hook up than a pintle/lunette, but dead quiet & stable. Been using mine for about 5 years with no issues.

I have hundreds of hours in pickup trucks towing equipment trailers with pintle hitches, I’ll take my DO35 all day long.

tx-jeremy

FYI- some of the old WWII trailers had reverse threaded lug nuts on the driver's side. The studs have an "L" stamped on the end which you may be able to see. Just a thought.

Friend,

I’m not a big drinker but if we’re ever in the same bar the first two rounds are on me.

68b0e2bb9b625fbfee7f58921d650e9c.jpg

tx-jeremy

Do me/us a favor. Measure the outside and inside diameter (hole diameter) of your military lunette ring. I want to compare it to our 2" receiver ones we use. Thanks.

It appears to be 2 3/4” and 6 3/8”

46eef273fb5f5ee5b4a0b10185bdcb9e.jpg

7bf7c7837f0f06c41c5d0fbb69862f62.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
I just got back from church too. Pictured below are my lunette ring's measurements.

So the military ring is bigger than the one a lot of us get that slides into a 2" receiver. Good to know.

Thanks!

lunette ring measurements.jpg

takesiteasy

Adventurer
1) How did you know that?
2) Why did they do that?

1) Experience (I have a Bantam trailer)
2) As I understand it, there was concern that the lug nuts could spin off from wheel rotation forces if they got loose. This would not happen on the other side where rotational forces would tend to tighten the nuts.

tx-jeremy

My father in law worked for a military truck manufacturer for years. Mentioned the reversed lug nuts to him “OH YEAH! They are still made that way today”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle