To Pop or Not to Pop

Mack M

Howdy,

I'm trying to decide my next rig, which will be used as a daily driver, will be used to drive the pan American, will ultimately be shipped to Europe and hopefully eventually Australia in 5-10 years.

I've been pondering this decision for way too long and need to act.

I just can't decide between a pop up slide in camper (4wheel, all terrain or Outfitter), or a hard side (bear adventure vehicles, Total Composites camper).

I've had an All Terrain pop up in the past, and liked it, however, as much as we like to spend time out in the wilds, we also like to camp in urban areas, and my thinking is that a hard sided camper would be far better for this task. I'm in love with the Total Composites product and think for the money, there is no better camper on the market. I just worry about the small amount of off-roading I will do, and the annoyance of the height while doing long drives around Central America or in the Balkans, etc.

The main rigs I'm considering are:

2024 Tundra with either the pop up option or the Total Composites option or...

2024 Reg cab F-250 with 8 ft total composites camper. Basically a poor man's expedition vehicle of sorts, on the cheap.

Just curious if anyone had considered this before and what your perspective was.

robgendreau

Explorer
Tall is a PITA in cities too. No parking garages or carports, for instance. And offroad it can be a headache. But you can work around it; lots of bigger trucks do. And maybe your offroading won't be that difficult. Still, helps if it's light and tall vs heavy and tall too.

TwinStick

Explorer
Everything has its pros and cons. First World problems right.
We just took delivery of our 23' ZR2 in Sumitt white. This time we are strongly looking at a canopy camper style. It gives my wife & I the ability to sleep up top & have the porta toilet in the bed. Also a plus is: no ladder necessary, lockable and can be used with tailgate closed and locked. And when needed, all 3 sides open for easy access to bed. Because they use extruded aluminum with t nut track in it, anything can be mounted or moved like shelving or whatever your imagination can dream up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior